close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glock 33 or 39?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by sgt93, Jan 21, 2006.

1. sgt93

sgt93

I am a new Officer in central Illinois and I would like some input on what to carry as a backup. My main is a Glock 21 which I love. I was considering a glock 33 because of velocity and mag cap. But now the 39 is out in 45 GAP. The 39 holds less ammo which isn't that much of a big deal, but it also doesn't have the velocity that the 33 has. Am I right? Any suggestions would be grat. Thanks -Steve

2. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

Yhe G39 has slightly less velocity than your G21. The G33 has the highest velocity of the subcompacts, if you really need velocity. I believe in the "bigger holes cause bigger leaks" theory.

3. sgt93

sgt93

So what you are saying is that you reccomend the Glock 39 over the 33? Even though the 33 holds 3 or 4 more rounds? Size over speed! -Steve

4. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

Yes, and the G39 is more controlable than the G33.:)

However, since you already carry a .45ACP, the Glock G30 might serve you better since it would share the same ammo and can use your G21 magazines. I carried a G30 concealed for 8 years before switching to the G38. Holster choice was a Blade-Tech IWB, FBI cant with straps.

5. esq-jim

esq-jim

May not be quite that simple an equation. The 357sig in a G 33 has MV's similar to 9mm 127+P+ winchester ammo in a full size 9mm. Certainly very capable weapon and no complaints here about it. The 45GAP does bring a bringer hole and deeper penetration . And, after all, even if 357's may expand 45's don't shrink. While there are likely no bad choices her, in fact 2 very good choices I prefer a bigger, heavier round for ist ability to drive through bone, and go deep !
    I also find the G39 easier to control the the G33. The blast and recoil of the 357sig reminds me of the 357mag !
    Jim

6. Sgt Glockman

Sgt Glockman Senior Member

sgt93,
    The G33 with a Pearce +1 grip extender (PG2733) will hold 10 rds + 1 in the chamber, the G39 with the same Pearce +1 grip extender will hold 7 rds. +1 in the chamber.
    I use Speer .45GAP Gold Dot 180 gr. JHP it clocked out of my gun at 1050fps measured velocity. I have every confidence it will end hostilities quickly.
    It does kick a bit more with this load than it does with 230gr. Range T SXT LE ammo that I use in my G-38 -w/4.02" barrel. I still get 790 fps. with this load in my G-39 -w/3.46" barrel, and it still expands well at this velocity.
    I have a G-33 also, it's a fine gun in a good caliber. I have both so I can use whichever one I can conceal depending on how I am dressed at the time. However, I do agree with DannyR I like the bigger hole the .45GAP makes. Just my .02 cents. In the end you have to decide what's best for you.

Sgt Glockman

7. sgt93

sgt93

It sounds like the 45 GAP is preferred in the forum. I emailed my local cop shop to see if they have one in. Please keep posting on the issue if you have thoughts. I am a firm believer in the 45 ACPand the 45 GAP is new to me. I'm sure anyone of them will be great. How is recoil on the 39 compared to the 33? -Steve

8. Sgt Glockman

Sgt Glockman Senior Member

Steve, With the 185gr. Gold Dot load I use it is comparable to my G-33 with the 125gr. Gold Dot loading I use in it. I do not find the recoil objectable in either gun, that just might be me as I'm not particulary recoil sensitive. Using the Winchester Ranger T LE 230gr SXT ammo the recoil seems to be more of a push than the sharp snap of the G-33. Another good load is the Speer 200gr. Gold Dot it clocks 950 in my G-39, to me it doesn't kick quite as much as the 185gr. Gold Dot.
    The G-33 does make more noise and have more muzzle blast. Whichever you chose you will be well armed.

Frank aka Sgt Glockman

9. glock39

glock39

DannyR has an excellent suggestion. The G30 would be a great match for your existing G21. However, my G30 is strictly a belt gun. My G39 <i>can</i> be carried in a sufficiently large pocket. I have both, but the 39 is what gets carried more often. Depending on how you carry, this may or may not be a factor.

10. Rusty Phillips

Rusty Phillips Moderator Millennium Member

sgt 93

sounds like you dont care about mag/ammo interchangability between primary and BUG?

in that case, it doesnt matter what you carry as a BUG as long as you get it & carry it..... 33 - 39 - J frame smith - they are all good!

you dont have to answer this but I also wonder:
    what's your body armor situation?
    what about a rifle in your car?

so little $$$ - so many places to spend it

11. jhiller

jhiller

One other thing that moves me toward the G39 is the slightly heavier slide. In any situation where you are grabbing your BUG things have either gotten very up close or you have run dry or crapped out with your primary weapon. The heavier slide and heavier bullet create a more dependable slide cycle if you have a poor grip or a less than rigid hold. That is one of the reasons that jframes have been the traditional BUG. It doesn't matter how bad you grip is it will still go bang
    Jim

12. sgt93

sgt93

I appreciate all the responses. I believe I will go with the Glock 39. I am waiting for my local dealer to give me a call back and then i will check it out in person. I didn't say earlier but I do not care if my backup is the same caliber. A backup is just that, the worse senerio gun. I do prefer a 45 and even though they are different rounds (ACP vs GAP) They are very similiar and the 39 is the same size as the 33. Thank you all again for all your responses. I will post when I buy one. -Steve

13. TurkeyTrack

TurkeyTrack

If it wasn't mentioned, you should try the G38 mags with A&G extenders, in the G39. This will give you 8+1 rds. Mine work just fine and do not cause any concealment problems.

;)

14. wlst101

wlst101

+1....here's mine

15. amazingphotos

amazingphotos

I like the package of my G39 with a G39 magazine with a +1 pinky estension. For "back up," I have had no problems using a G37 magazine.

16. sgt93

sgt93

Sounds great all. I can't find a local dealer with one so i will wait until it happens. I will let you all know what I get. Thanks -Steve

17. Front Sight

Front Sight Front Sight

Steve

I have to ask wouldn't a back up gun be more practical if it used the same caliber of ammo? The G36 is a .45acp the mags won't fit but the ammo would.
    If you carried a G37 then I'd say the G39 would be perfect.Can you modify your vest so it will hold a back up gun under your arm?

18. sgalbra76

sgalbra76 Ranger LEO

I agree with Front Sight to some degree. The problem with the G36 is that you can't stick a G21 magazine in them. Being able to use your G21 magazines in your backup weapon is a major advantage if your G21 is out of commission. This is why pairing up your G21 with a G30 would be a much better idea.

Personally, I would carry the G37 as my primary weapon and a G39 as my backup. This would allow me to use G37 magazines in the G39. As a federal cop I am stuck using only Sigs.