close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glock 32 vs. HK USP Compact

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Zoomie, Jan 26, 2003.

1. Zoomie

Zoomie

Greetings everyone! This is my very first post and if my question has been asked before, I apologize. Anyway, I'm interested in purchasing a .357 handgun and I'm leaning towards either the Glock 32 or the Heckler & Koch USP Compact. My question is, what is everyone's opinion regarding the USP Compact? I've heard a lot of good reviews of the Glock 32 but little about the USP. All opinions and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Zoomie

2. G33

G33 Frisky! CLM Millennium Member

Welcome!
    Have both again.
    Both top quality.
    HK has more options on carry mode/more controls.
    HK is a bit softer on recoil for me.
    32 shoots a bit tighter. Could just be the specific guns.
    32 has higher capacity thanks to .40 mags.
    HK seems to sit higher in hands.
    Also, look at the Sig 2340 in .357; really nice gun.

3. Zoomie

Zoomie

Thanks G33 for the info!

I am researching into a variety of factors into my .357 purchase. Among them:

A) This will primarily be a home defense firearm that both myself and my wife would use. Simplicity and ease of maintenance is the key. While the HK USPc and SIG are excellent firearms, I am concerned about rust if kept in the closet/drawer for extended periods of time. Where I live, there can be lots of humidity depending on the season.

B) Last but not least, the firearm must be "accessorizable". Meaning, it must have accessory rails for the mounting of weapon lights & scopes. I am very into optics and the more the firearm is able to be customized with optics & lights, the better.

I will admit, I am leaning towards the G32C. However, I am still researching and the more advice/input, the better.

Again, any info & advice will be greatly appreciated.

Zoomie

4. Screaming .357G

Screaming .357G 598ci big block

The HK and the G32-C are really nice guns.

Cant really go wrong with them.

That said I would get the glock as I can get just about any part I want for a glock right here in town.
    Barrels,night sights,preban mags,springs,extended slide release etc.

Glock,Sig,HK, all make top notch guns and I wouldent feel bad with any of them.

5. FA

FA

zoomie,

I've never handled a HK .357 but I own a G32 (its in Smyrna for the frame upgrade now) and recently field stripped/handled a Sig pro during a Sig Sauer Armorers Course at Sig's facility in New Hampshire.

I really like my G32. But I will say that the Sigpro is the only law enforcement/duty type handgun that I know of that is designed to operate permanently without ever requiring detail stripping.

Stated differently the only maintenance ever required on a Sigpro is at the field opeator level (i.e. field stripping only). I believe this feature alone from a maintenance point of view is fantastic.

I will also say that the Sigpro is modular in design making certain changes very simple (i.e. changing the gun to double action only from ordinary double/action single/action configuration).

The frame rails on the Sigpro's are also over built like tanks, which in my opinion can not hurt one bit.

I have been informed that at 25 yards the Sigpro should group under 2", and I do not doubt it. I've also been informed that the DEA purchased about 400 and that some are in service with some agents at the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.

Although I really like my Glock 32 and Glock 23's and 29's for that matter, because of the above mentioned attributes the Sigpro is on my buy list after a few more purchases.

regards,

FA

6. lunde

lunde

Two "thumbs up" here for the Sig Pro. Here's my Two-Tone in .357 Sig:

[​IMG]

More photos at my "Pistol Wallpaper Page" (click link below).

7. Zoomie

Zoomie

Thanks for the replies!

The Sig Pro is an excellent firearm with features to boot. However, I'm looking for a compact model and the Sig Pro Compact is not yet available in the US yet (nor in .357). Should I wait?

8. ExNavyInHouston

ExNavyInHouston PashnOfTheGlock

Zoomie,

My concern of a Compensated Glock used for "home defense" is about the flash ports.

Considering you could be in a face-to-face fight for your life situation, I would prefer my muzzle blast headed away from me when I pull the trigger.

If you have to fire the gun from your hip while you are using your other hand to fend the attacker off this could limit injury to yourself or wife.

The "C" models have their place, but not in a close-up gun fight.

Navy

9. lunde

lunde

Zoomie, you wrote:
    You may be waiting a long time. I asked SIGARMS (US) and J.P. Sauer & Son (Germany) these questions last month, and was told that the Sig Pro Compact (available on in 9mm) will not be imported into this country unless the Sig Pros sell better (meaning significant law enforcement contracts I suppose), and there are no plans to make the Sig Pro Compact in other calibers, such as .40 Auto and .357 Sig.

10. Zoomie

Zoomie

Thanks ExNavy & Dr. Lunde for the info!

Regarding compensated models, a lot of people have been telling me exactly what ExNavy has stated. In addition to being a more dangerous-to-self defense weapon, I have also been informed that the compensated Glocks, due to the ported barrels, have feeding problems. This being caused by lower compression & muzzle velocity. Also, because the compensated Glocks have lower velocity, they have reduced stopping power as well.

Not to mention, I've been told the compensated Glocks tend to show wear & tear around the ports and deep rubs marks on the barrel. In essence, compensated Glocks = more maintenance & care.

Any truth to the above information? Because at this point, I am now leaning towards getting a G32 (non-compensated).

11. Screaming .357G

Screaming .357G 598ci big block

Well I can see both sides to this.

A ported barrel can cause problems for some people.
    But for all the down sides I can find positive things can be done to help this.

1) use a round with a low flash powder like the speer gold dot to prevent high muzzle flash (with proper loads the flash is really no worse than what comes out of the end of the barrel).

2)Get proper training with a ported gun.
    Example of a way to use a ported gun from the hip is to slightly tilt it to the side to let the hot gases to escape and dont go into your face.

I have had no jamming,feeding,ejection problems at all with my G31-C.
    Gun has well over 1000 rounds and no problems there no has there been any issues with my friends G32-C.

The stopping power diffrence is a mute point.
    The velocity diffrence is very low and the ammo I have used for home testing have penatrated and opened up nicely.

The thing I like about the C models is mainly for the range and quick follow up shots.
    But the nice thing is you can always use a non ported barrel in the ported slide and have the best of both worlds.;)
    Remember it a lot harder to go the other way and get your slide cut for a ported barrel.

There are some places that issue C model glocks for duty BTW.