Glock 32 Broke a Pin

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Greg W, Nov 13, 2005.

1. Greg W

Greg W

Today at the range I was shooting some of my just received Double Tap 125 Grain JHP. This round cooks out of the G32. It felt like my old 357 magnum Smith revolver. I examined the gun after a couple of clips because it felt like it was being pounded by this stuff. Sure enough I noticed that the large pin that holds the trigger assembly was damaged with half of it gone. I must say I am disappointed by the gun's problem. I believe that a heavier recoil spring is in order to handle this round. This is now my second Glock in a row that has had some part fail. I will be calling Ben at Glockmeister tomorrow for his recommendations.

Greg

2. Greg W

Greg W

Today I received my 20lb recoil spring and steel guide rod from Glockmeister with my replacement pin. Hopefully I will have no more problems.

I did have a question about the 20lb spring: Can this affect the reliability of lower velocity 357 Sig rounds?

This particular board does not seem to have many visitors. Is my beloved 357 round lacking followers?

Greg

3. tggt05

tggt05

No experience here, but, I will toss out the fact that the SIG .357's use a 20# spring.

Sig 9x19's use a 15# spring :)

I think Glock went 17# as a "do-it-all" kinda approach.

Myself, I wasn't taking any chances... I have a 22# Wolff spring/rod which I will test out this Saturday :D

I expect all to go well... if you don't here from me it's running great ;)

4. Greg W

Greg W

Hey an answer! Maybe there is some life on this board.

I plan on trying my 20# out on Saturday. Ben of Glockmeister said to try this one first. He also suggested switching back to the standard recoil spring when using regular 357 Sig ammo. You know, the wimpy 1300 FPS stuff. Long live D.T.

Greg

5. G33

G33 Frisky! CLM Millennium Member

Hi!
    I had a pin break around 1998 in my G31.
    And later a slide lock lever.
    Neither stopped the gun.
    Both were during bowling pin shoots.

That G31 has been shot nearly every week since.
    I gave up count at 45,000 rounds about 2 years ago.

I replace the recoil assembly each year with stock.
    That is it.
    No further problems.
    YMMV

6. Overkill338

Overkill338 9x19 + 1x6 = 200 @ 1250

The "pounding" of the rounds shouldn't have anything to do with the pin breaking. Maybe you damaged it taking it out or putting it back at some point ?

7. Greg W

Greg W

Tang419 Wrote:

The "pounding" of the rounds shouldn't have anything to do with the pin breaking. Maybe you damaged it taking it out or putting it back at some point ?

I never removed the pin on this weapon.

Greg

8. Overkill338

Still an odd happening. I just don't see how the bullets power can effect the pin the trigger rides on. Have you contacted Glock ? May have just been a bad pin, it just makes no sense to me.

9. xcop

xcop

If you change the recoil spring to a higher poundage you do run the risk of having cycling problems with other ammo. You just have to shoot different rounds and know which ones are problems. I've tried it on my 23 and always went back to standard because of cycling problems.

10. Greg W

Greg W

Range Report:

My Glock 32 is back to normal. The 20# spring seems to take a little bite out of the DT recoil. This round is a blast to shoot. The steel guide rod has added a small amount of weight to the front of the weapon and has slightly reduced muzzle flip. Lower velocity practice rounds are functioning fine.

Maybe the broken pin was a fluke. I will see how she does after another couple thousand rounds are put through her.

Greg

11. Overkill338

Very nice to hear. Keep us informed. I may look into getting me a SS rod and a 20# spring.

12. Greg W

Greg W

I will keep the forum updated.

Greg

13. YukonGlocker

YukonGlocker

I have a G32 and love it. The Speer Gold Dots are hot enough for me, but I wouldn't hesitate using Double Tap's ammo. I have around 5000 rounds through my G32 with no problems.

14. Greg W

Greg W

I would not feed it a steady diet of DT defense ammo. I would not hesitate to practice with it though. This stuff is real hot. It is designed to stop a gun fight. One hit with this stuff in a vital area and it is over for your enemy. That is why I carry it for protection.

Greg

15. DeadMansLife

DeadMansLife Senior Member

I don't understand all this parts breakage and upgrading to heavier springs. My G31 has 40k+ through it and all original parts.

16. Greg W

Greg W

DeadMansLife:

That is great news to hear. I went to the 20# spring as a precaution only. The SS guide rod/spring combo Glockmeister sold me is a neat package. My broken pin was probably a fluke.

Has your gun loosened up with that many rounds through it? Are your groups a little larger than when it was new? I am just curious to hear how well the gun has held up. Do you shoot a steady diet of hot rounds like the DT?

Thanks,
    Greg

17. DeadMansLife

DeadMansLife Senior Member

I shot one mag of DT that I got from a friend. I will be getting more.:)

As for the group size, it's the strangest thing, it shoots tighter now then when new. I believe the only reason is with so many rounds down range I shoot better, not the gun.

I've been wanting to change the mag springs for the past couple of years but cannot bring myself to it. Of the 6 clinton mags I have, all function 100%. I did buy 2 new standard cap.(15 rounders) mags for defense, they run 100% too.

The only failrues to feed or fire were not problems with the gun but the ammo and a single shooter. The ammo was Blazer. I kept topping off my mags at a match(tac reloads) and the rounds in the bottom of the mag were in there all day. Recoil caused setback and when I did get around to shooting them the case mouth hung-up on the ramp.

As for the shooter that FTF'd me G31, this guy can jam a BB in a 55 gallon drum. He has also FTF'd 3 other Glocks, HK USP's, all the Ruger P-series and MkII's that he has fired, 1911's, just about any other auto he has tried. He tried his hand at reloading and tied up a S&W 686 by not crimping the bullets. I told him he needs to learn to fight with a knife, guns will not save him.

18. Greg W

Greg W

DeadMansLife Wrote:

As for the shooter that FTF'd me G31, this guy can jam a BB in a 55 gallon drum. He has also FTF'd 3 other Glocks, HK USP's, all the Ruger P-series and MkII's that he has fired, 1911's, just about any other auto he has tried. He tried his hand at reloading and tied up a S&W 686 by not crimping the bullets. I told him he needs to learn to fight with a knife, guns will not save him.

LOL, that dude should definitely stay away from guns. Are you sure you would want to put a knife in his hands? He might stab himself.

Greg

19. Overkill338

If he jammed a Ruger P-Series, that means he can jam damn near anything. Tell him to stick to revolvers, or better yet, Derringers.

20. 357glocker

357glocker

I had my trigger pin break at about 5000rnds. I have the heaviest spring offered by glockmeister (24lbs ???). I replaced it and have put another two hundred flaweless rounds though it.