close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glock 31C

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by rauchman, Feb 24, 2003.

1. rauchman

rauchman

Greetings all,

I go through my phases where I want a whole bunch of Glocks, and now happens to be one of those phases. Was looking at the 31C and was wondering how much of a difference the compensator makes as compared to the standard 31. Is recoil significantly reduced for faster follow up shot recovery? Is there a big difference velocity wise? Is there a huge flash? This pistol would primarily be for fun. I live in NJ, so no CCW.

Thanks,
    Ken

2. OXCOPS

OXCOPS

I have shot and evaluated both the 31 and 31C. Keep in mind that my evaluations were from a law enforcement and defensive pistol mindset. I was not that impressed with the 31C when it came to reducing recoil. To me, the 31C had a very MINOR reduction from the 31. Recoil from the 31 is very manageable. Times on follow up shots were almost identical.

I am not a fan of ported guns. If you want to know why, get a standard sheet of paper and hold it 12" above the ports. Now, fire a round down range. The paper will have burn marks on it. Imagine that is your face and neck. I know you say it is a "just for fun" gun, but you plan on keeping it at home? Perhaps it is the only gun you can grab during a home invasion?

The flash will depend on the brand of ammo, but still seems to be brighter with the 31C. Velocity is lower in the 31C, but not by much.

There are several things to consider.

Could this gun be used as a home defense gun?
    If you were in a "hands on" struggle and had to tuck the gun close to you and fire, would you get burned?
    Do you fire much at night? Ports will hamper night vision.

These are just a few things to think over. No right or wrong answer, but you must weigh all your options and see what is best for you. Personally, I don't like the ported models. However, if my choices were use a ported 31C and get burns, or have no way to defend myself, I know the way to the burn unit at the hospital. ;)

Evaluate all your options. Shoot them both, side by side (if possible) and decide for yourself. Hope this helps.

OX

3. DeadMansLife

DeadMansLife Senior Member

If you must have the G31C, spend a few more $$$ and buy a non-ported barrel as well.

4. Screaming .357G

Screaming .357G 598ci big block

Well I have a G31-C and love it:)
    It is by far my favorate range gun its loud and always makes people ask what ya shootin over there?.
    But I get a kick out of my little G33's as well:):):)

I have looked at times I shot for comp as well as my groups and I do a tad better with the ported barrel in my G31-C.
    Recoil with the ported barrel to me feels about like a regular 9mm maby even a +p load in a G17.
    But the G31 in a C or regular version is easy to shoot compared to a .357 revolver.

I took my G31 and a M3 tac light to the range and using only the light from the M3tac light for my light source (thanks to the nice folks at the range doing me a favor for my little home brew testing)I found that the porting dosent make that big of a diffrence on flash as does the ammo used.
    The speer gold dot and winchester ranger T have hardly any flash compared to most other JHPs I tested.
    In fact I would say it was about as low as you could get with just a quick spark kinda like the spark flint makes on a lighter out of fluid (Im sure if you smoke you know what I mean).
    Something to think about is the fact that the higher flash rounds were brighter on the non ported barrel I have as well and dident make much diffrence if I shot a ported or non ported barrel the flash was still there.

The pro load gold dot,corbon 125 and 115 JHP,federal 125 are all medium flash and no worse than shooting a revolver with the flash you would get from the cyl/barrel gap and still ok on the ported barrel in my G31-C for carry if you wanted to.
    The flash was just a quick flicker and not too bad.

The blazer FMJ and georgia-arms FMJ make the nice flames at the ports that the Glock add shows (but thats ok for practice ammo at the range and to me its fun;) but I wouldent want to carry it on a dark night unless you wanted to see a glock add in person at the wrong time;P
    The speer lawman has very low flash for a FMJ btw and its near the gold dot as far as flash goes.

If you learn to shoot a ported gun from the hip angled away from your face I dont see a ported gun being a problem for carry as long as you use a lot flash round like the gold dot.
    There are a few places that issue ported guns with low flash rounds BTW.

I do have a G31 non ported barrel for use when I carry and its as easy as just a barrel swap and hey whats 130$ for another barrel.
    Remember you can always get a non ported barrel but if you want to use a factory ported barrel you cant go the other way.

Just keep in mind what you plan to do with the gun and have fun:)

5. DJ Niner

DJ Niner Moderator

Last week I fired a G31 and my G32C back-to-back. I found the G32C to be MUCH more controlable in rapid fire than the full-size non-ported gun. The G32C even stays on target better than my 9mm Glocks, and seems to cycle faster, providing the practiced/skilled shooter with the opportunity for quicker followup shots.

Flash is largely a function of ammo selection; if it's important to you, carefully test several types/brands and use the least "flashy". :)

I think this "look out for the ports" crap is overblown quite a bit; people have been putting up with revolver barrel/cylinder blast for a century now, and despite the occasional minor injury, it has never prevented the effective use of revolvers (even magnums) in trained hands. Same thing with MagNaPorted handguns. As far as the "what if you were in a hands-on struggle..." concern, I'd WANT the bad guy to find his hand on top of my ported Glock; he'll move it PDQ when I pull the trigger!

Sucks when you gotta comb the finger-parts out of your hair, though... ;f

6. Truckin' Joe

Truckin' Joe Member

I just bought a G31 factory barrel for my G22,not much felt recoil to me.I fired my buddys G31C right after I shot my G31 and it really didn't make a big difference in felt recoil or follow up shots.But everybody is different.:)

7. The Pontificator

The Pontificator Angry Samoan

Ditto. Lone Wolf Distributors currently has a sale on a selection of Glock factory barrels. $119.