close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glock 31C - Light primer strikes

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by cdurand, Jul 19, 2004.

1. cdurand

cdurand NRA Member

Hey there,

I have a problem with my G31.

About 30% of the time I pull the trigger and it doesn't fire. I look at the cartidge and you can see the firing pin has hit the primer, but very lightly.

If I try the round a second time, it always fires.

This has happened since the first time I shot the pistol. Almost 4 years ago. At first I thought it was the ammo I had purchased, so I tried a different brand. Same results.

I reload so I bought the .357 sig dies and tried making my own. Same results.

This is the only problem I've ever had with any of my Glocks right out of the box. I should have brought it to Glock's attention immediately but you know that goes, other things take up your time and now it's 4 years later.

I'd like to try replacing some parts myself before I seek out an armorer. What would be the best place to start? The firing pin spring or the firing pin itself?

Any advice is welcome.

Charlie

2. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

Sounds like there is either grease or a burr inside the striker channel, unless it has a lighter striker spring installed; if you have another striker spring on hand, you might swap them out to try that...

But first, try removing the striker and using GunScrubber along with a bristle brush to see if that's it. LEAVE THE CHANNEL DRY after it is cleaned.

If the cleaning or spring swap don't fix it, and you can't see any protrusions inside the channel, try polishing the striker itself with Flitz and a Dremel tool.

After that, if the problem persists, then you'll have to send it back to Smyrna.

Best regards,

FastVFR

3. CCV

CCV Millennium Member

fastvfr's advice is good. There is another area to consider and that is the ammo. It wouldn't be S&B by any chance, would it?

I've heard several folks complain of misfires with S&B .357 SIG ammo.

Clean the striker channel, change ammo, and report back. I'm betting the problem goes away.

4. WalterGA

WalterGA Millennium Member

I've never seen a "bristle brush" that would fit inside a striker channel. I'm sure they exist, but I've never seen one. I blast the channel out with brake cleaner and let it dry. Never lubricate your Glock anywhere near the striker channel or extractor.

You mentioned "4 yrs.", as if you might think that Glock wouldn't repair your Glock under warranty. They'll fix it forever, free; however, I can't fathom anything that would cause light primer strikes that would warrant the expense of shipping the pistol back to Glock/Smyrna. Whatever's wrong is something really simple that you can fix yourself.

5. VN350X10

VN350X10

Check for burrs on the spring cups. I've only seen 1 over the years, but it did exist. Since it's a molded plastic part, it CAN happen. Replace the striker spring with a new one, & worst case senario change the channel liner in the slide. If you do that, check everything for a proper fit & no hang ups before you re-install the liner.
    As an extreme measure, change to the marine spring cups, as they give less drag by design, also make crud less likely to interfere with firing.

Walter, at your age you haven't seen a coffee perculator type pot? The brush that cleans the stem of the pot is about perfect for the liner. Time to get to a housewares type store.....you'd be amazed at what you can find for gun cleaning there!

uncle albert

6. WalterGA

WalterGA Millennium Member

I just don't remember those percolator brushes. I'd certainly not use any kind of brush that might scratch the liner, but the brush to which you refer probably uses nylon bristles and will probably work fine.

I do know that one has to be careful when using Q-tips, pipe cleaners, etc., as it's easy to just push crud into the far end of the striker channel.

7. ColoradoGlocker

ColoradoGlocker Former Member

8. CCV

CCV Millennium Member

I'm too young to remember percolators!

9. VN350X10

VN350X10

Trust old uncle here.....
    Real coffee DOESN'T come from Starbucks,Caribu, or any of the other beemer driving, bunny hugging, whale saving type stores!