Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello GT,

I'd like to share my range report with the Glock Talk gang and possibly provide some information that may assist someone who is considering the G30SF as a next purchase.

Range Report;

I fired Remington UMC 185gr loads that provided great accuracy, and tested out the Remington Golden Sabre 185gr +P. I found that the GS's had some major muzzle blast, enough to completely blind me from the target due to a huge fireball (indoor range) which I attribute to unburned powered due to the short barrel and +P loading. I also found that the GS 185gr +P did not group as well as the standard pressure 185gr FMJ however still not bad (well within SD accuracy expectations). I have to emphasis the muzzle blast that the GS 185gr +P's gave off because it's something you just have to experience to appreciate. I have never seen so much muzzle blast and flash from any other handgun I haved fired except from a G20 10mm when using the GS 185 +p's. The muzzle blast from those rounds was enough to blow the paper from the clips holding the target up after 2 rounds at 10yards on 2 targets in a row. Serious muzzle blast, fireball, and energy.

Reliability/Accuracy

In total I fired 359 rounds through the brand new G30SF not having experienced a malfunction of any kind (350fmj/ 8 GS 185 +P). The recoil was very manageable and I was extremely impressed with the accuracy especially considering the short barrel. In comparison to my XD 45acp compact the grip was much more sturdy giving minimal vibrations to the shooter unlike the strong vibrations from the XD. If you are a 45acp guy and are looking for a CCW look no further!

185gr v.s 200gr v.s 230gr perceived recoil difference

This was my first time using 185gr rounds in a 45ACP caliber handgun and I must say the recoil was much different than firing 200gr/230gr loads. It was more snappy, similiar to a 40S&W but also heavier. I didn't mind the recoil at all however, and found it very controllable during double taps (which often touched or were same hole.) and rapid fire. In doing some research I have found that the 200gr loading may be the best for the G30SF as velocities for the 200gr loads seem to be a bit faster than 185's regardless of +P or standard pressure. Lastly due to the extreme fireball launched by the GS 185gr +P I am going to try the 185gr standard pressure and 230gr standard pressure for recoil and muzzle blast comparison. Personally I don't want a SD load that is going to blind me from my target, and the 185 +P blinded me completely from the entire target at 10 yards in a well light indoor range. I know there are other really good self defense rounds out there such as the HST's, Gold Dots, and Corbon however I prefer the Golden Sabres because they are on par with the most modern SD loads while being offered at an affordable price. I pick up box's of 20 at my local cheaper than dirt for 16 dollars a box of 45acp and 14 dollars a box of 9mm. Cost of SD round is important to me because I want to shoot them so that I "train as you fight" so to speak, and also ensure reliability.

Conclusion:

Bottom line...For me this is the ideal CCW Glock..great firepower, easily concealable (as much so as a G23/G19), super accurate for a short barrel (almost as accurate as my full length Beretta 92FS, and certainly more accurate than my XD 45acp Compact).

BTW: The targets were fired from 10 yards - 25 yards.

·
Registered
2,915 Posts
Hello GT,

I'd like to share my range report with the Glock Talk gang and possibly provide some information that may assist someone who is considering the G30SF as a next purchase.

Range Report;

I fired Remington UMC 185gr loads that provided great accuracy, and tested out the Remington Golden Sabre 185gr +P. I found that the GS's had some major muzzle blast, enough to completely blind me from the target due to a huge fireball (indoor range) which I attribute to unburned powered due to the short barrel and +P loading. I also found that the GS 185gr +P did not group as well as the standard pressure 185gr FMJ however still not bad (well within SD accuracy expectations). I have to emphasis the muzzle blast that the GS 185gr +P's gave off because it's something you just have to experience to appreciate. I have never seen so much muzzle blast and flash from any other handgun I haved fired except from a G20 10mm when using the GS 185 +p's. The muzzle blast from those rounds was enough to blow the paper from the clips holding the target up after 2 rounds at 10yards on 2 targets in a row. Serious muzzle blast, fireball, and energy.

Reliability/Accuracy

In total I fired 359 rounds through the brand new G30SF not having experienced a malfunction of any kind (350fmj/ 8 GS 185 +P). The recoil was very manageable and I was extremely impressed with the accuracy especially considering the short barrel. In comparison to my XD 45acp compact the grip was much more sturdy giving minimal vibrations to the shooter unlike the strong vibrations from the XD. If you are a 45acp guy and are looking for a CCW look no further!

185gr v.s 200gr v.s 230gr perceived recoil difference

This was my first time using 185gr rounds in a 45ACP caliber handgun and I must say the recoil was much different than firing 200gr/230gr loads. It was more snappy, similiar to a 40S&W but also heavier. I didn't mind the recoil at all however, and found it very controllable during double taps (which often touched or were same hole.) and rapid fire. In doing some research I have found that the 200gr loading may be the best for the G30SF as velocities for the 200gr loads seem to be a bit faster than 185's regardless of +P or standard pressure. Lastly due to the extreme fireball launched by the GS 185gr +P I am going to try the 185gr standard pressure and 230gr standard pressure for recoil and muzzle blast comparison. Personally I don't want a SD load that is going to blind me from my target, and the 185 +P blinded me completely from the entire target at 10 yards in a well light indoor range. I know there are other really good self defense rounds out there such as the HST's, Gold Dots, and Corbon however I prefer the Golden Sabres because they are on par with the most modern SD loads while being offered at an affordable price. I pick up box's of 20 at my local cheaper than dirt for 16 dollars a box of 45acp and 14 dollars a box of 9mm. Cost of SD round is important to me because I want to shoot them so that I "train as you fight" so to speak, and also ensure reliability.

Conclusion:

Bottom line...For me this is the ideal CCW Glock..great firepower, easily concealable (as much so as a G23/G19), super accurate for a short barrel (almost as accurate as my full length Beretta 92FS, and certainly more accurate than my XD 45acp Compact).
Thanks for the detailed report. I too am looking to get the G30SF for CCW. I just got the G21SF and I'm very pleased with it. It is my HD gun right now. I shot several different types of SD ammo through it and settled on the PDX-1 and Corbon. Good info about muzzle flash. What type of holster will you use fo CCW?

NN

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks for the detailed report. I too am looking to get the G30SF for CCW. I just got the G21SF and I'm very pleased with it. It is my HD gun right now. I shot several different types of SD ammo through it and settled on the PDX-1 and Corbon. Good info about muzzle flash. What type of holster will you use fo CCW?

NN
I looked at a Galco today and the price was right up there being right about $95. It was the only holster that looked like it would be comfortable for daily wear (had much more cushion than other holsters). I signed up for a CCW course and I will buy the holster once I get my license. I don' want to be tempted to test out wearing it before I can legally carry, and I after spending $95 dollars on a nice holster I'm will want to wear it..lol

Btw Thanks for sharing your experience with the G21SF. I am wanting to pick that up as my next Glock purchase. I really wish Glock made a long slide competition 45acp...

·
Registered
2,915 Posts
I looked at a Galco today and the price was right up there being right about $95. It was the only holster that looked like it would be comfortable for daily wear (had much more cushion than other holsters). I signed up for a CCW course and I will buy the holster once I get my license. I don' want to be tempted to test out wearing it before I can legally carry, and I after spending $95 dollars on a nice holster I'm will want to wear it..lol

Btw Thanks for sharing your experience with the G21SF. I am wanting to pick that up as my next Glock purchase. I really wish Glock made a long slide competition 45acp...
As another option for holsters, check this guy out. I have a horse hide holster and mag holder for my G23 on the way. $90.00 shipped. His prices are great.

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1256146

ETA: His name is Tommy

NN

·
Transform & Win
3,349 Posts
PrecisionRifleman, thanks for documenting the results of your initial range session with the G30SF .45 ACP in such detail. The effects of the Golden Saber 185gr +P bullet, in recoil and muzzle flash, were of particular interest to me. I've never fired anything lighter than 230gr in my G30SF and your report was very useful for future reference. My choice of ammo currently is Speer Lawman FMJ for the range and Gold Dot JHP for carry.

By all means, experiment with 230gr and 200gr in the G30SF. Don't be surprised if your accuracy is even better. The G30 is capable of under 1.0 inch groups for 5 shots at 25 yards from off the bench. It's freakishly accurate for a 3.78 inch barrel.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I'd like to add that the targets in the picture were taking during mostly rapid fire, double tap, reload drills. The targets should in no way be a pure representation of the accuracy this little 45 can achieve. The large holes in the heads of the target...I can't tell you how many rounds went through those holes during regular firing, double taps, and rapid fire. I really hammered the G30SF for the first time out, running mag after loaded mag through it. What impressed me most is how the grouping held together even after the weapon had heated up.

Additionally I want to add that when I mentioned the recoil being manageable and easy enough for accurate double taps I want to make it clear that it is still a 45acp in subcompact (compact size comparing to the 9mm & 40S&W Glocks). I would not recommend the G30SF to a first time hand gunner or someone who is recoil shy. That being said all in all Glock did an outstanding job of making the recoil very manageable in a subcompact/compact 45acp. More so than light weight short barreled 1911's ( no pun intended what so ever. Love 1911's also)

·
Registered
168 Posts
Great review. A G30 SF will be my next purchase in the next week or two. I rented one and put some PMC 230 grain ammo through it and actually stopped shooting it after the 3rd or 4th round and had to look at the gun to make sure I was shooting the 45 I rented and not my 9mm. It shoots very well for a small gun.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Great review. A G30 SF will be my next purchase in the next week or two. I rented one and put some PMC 230 grain ammo through it and actually stopped shooting it after the 3rd or 4th round and had to look at the gun to make sure I was shooting the 45 I rented and not my 9mm. It shoots very well for a small gun.
Thanks for sharing your experience with the 230gr load. I look forward to getting back to the range and testing out both 200gr and 230gr weights. I'll post my findings in about a week or so when I find time to hit the range again.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Great report. I have had my 30 for a few weeks and am very impressed with it as well (accuracy and light touch). I have been feeding it 200gr and it seems to do real well with them. Haven't put any +p's through it though. Nice Shooting.

·
Regular Guy
1,789 Posts
NeverNervous, dude, please don't copy OP's entire message when replying to him. Look how much room that takes up! And we JUST read it!

·
Registered
447 Posts
I've been carrying Winchester PDX-1 230 gr JHP in my G30SF. The ammo gets really good marks in reviews and demos I've seen. The FBI carries PDX-1 in their G23's. I prefer heavier standard pressure loads.

·
Registered
917 Posts
I shot my 30sf last week into a 55 gal drum for a expansion test, the 185 gr federal hs +p followed by a winchester ranger t 230 gr +p, the 185 gr hs stung a bit in palm of my hand and opened up to 5/8 of an inch, the ranger t 230 gr +p no sting an opened up to 1 1/32 of an inch followed by 2 more rangers thru a double layer of thick nylon weave and still the expansion was over an 1 '':wow: Iam going to stick to the ranger T love the G30sf go heavy 230 gr with 45acp for max preformance & knock down power & congrats on the G30 you wont regret getting it trust me:cool:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts