close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glock 30

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Uglyguns, Mar 11, 2010.

1. Uglyguns

Uglyguns

All:

Hey guys, I'm a new glockaholic and I admit I'm going to have a problem. I shot the ugly little thing a few months ago and she has been on my mind ever since. I, at first hated it. I thought it was like a 2x4, but I was drawn to her. When I went into the gun store I felt her looking at me begging for me to try her again. So I gave in and shot it again and it felt alittle better, mybe too nice. I thought to myself why are all those guys so gaga over that ugly *** gun? I realize now it was to late for me, I was already biten. Yesterday I brought my Kimber SIS pro and sold it for that ugly glock 30. My three other kimbers were sold today. I have put close to 500 threw it already not a problem no FTF,FTE nothing, it went bang every time. It's not as acurate as my 1911 nor is the trigger as crisp as I would like it. So here I am with a few questins. What can I do to improve the acuracy? Maybe a kart berrel? What have you guy done to make your trigger more crisp? I was looking at the ghost connector to lighten it up a bit, but what can I do to make it more of a crisp action? I found the .25 trigger mod and most seem on the fence about it. I'm ordering a CTAC saturday. I've installed the grip extension on both of my mags. I'm dropping it off for truglo sights Monday. I like the grip so I'm not sure if I need to tape it or add a rubber grip for it, time will tell. What else have you guys done to you 30 to make it more combat ready? I am eyeing a 21 next, maybe in the next month or two. Thanks in advance.

V/r
    Uglyguns

2. MTS532

MTS532

Um...

All I did was take care of it according to the instruction manual and added night sights.

That's all.

Glocks are 'combat ready' when they left the factory, in my opinion. Adding all that stuff makes them less reliable.

It's a different platform than a 1911. Get used to the Glock and you'll get proficient with it soon enough.

You can't make it more 'combat ready' than it already is.

3. JETHRO38

JETHRO38

Cant mess with PERFeCTION!

4. 208GunGeek

208GunGeek

Hey UglyGuns... I hear ya on wanting to make a lot of mods to your new G30 but resist that urge.

Seems like you come from the 1911 world where making mods is commonplace. Not to say you can't mod your Glock, but aside from adding night sights, you really don't need to do much more. Glocks are best when they are used with their OEM parts.

Is the Glock the most accurate gun in the world? Is the Glock as accurate as a Kimber/Sig/Wilson/etc...? Depends on who ya ask. If ya ask me, the Glock is as accurate as the guy or gal shooting it. Try to get away from thinking that your Glock is not as accurate as your 1911's. You might just need to adjust to the different feel of the Glock. The Glock has a different grip angle and is much lighter then a 1911. Those things take a little while to adjust to if you're used to shooting a 1911.

Congrats on your new G30 :supergrin: I love mine!

5. jamarcin

jamarcin

Well, I guess it's ok to call a Glock an ugly looking gun.

From my perspective, the G30 is a very powerful, accurate, reliable, and fast handling handgun. I don't see it as ugly or pretty. It gets the job done and it does it better than most.

I do understand your need to make a few changes that will better meet your requirements. Glock handguns and the supporting after market companies have made that easy for us to do.

In my case, and some of these changes may work for you as well, this is what I did and all of these changes have improved my G30:

= I polished the internal parts which produced a better trigger release.
    = I installed Mepro night sights which are excellent.
    = I had a LWD round magazine release installed which works better for me on my G26 and G30.
    = And I added Talon grip tape.

The G30 has a strong following and I think that is because it seems to fit some of us just about perfectly. The changes you may make, may improve the performance and feel or they may not. Give the changes a try and if they don't work, just change things back. It's really kinda' easy with a Glock.

Good luck with your G30 and be sure to fully test your changes to make sure all is right.

Attached Files:

6. scprotector1

scprotector1 LoneStarGlocker

You can add a 3.5 connector and polished safety plunger and night sights, then take it out for the 1,000 rnd modification :) This is what i did to my glock 19

7. huntingbuddy

huntingbuddy

Congrats on the new G-30, IMHO, don't mess with it, just shoot the heck out of it and it will just get better and better. when you start monkeying around with things you start having problems. Get the night sights and shoot it and enjoy.

8. GreyEclipse

GreyEclipse TheGreyEclipse

You're going to regret getting rid of all those Kimbers...:wow:

Glocks are great weapons but you're going to miss your 1911s.
    I would have just saved up the money for one or two, dang. lol.

9. Uglyguns

Uglyguns

Grey:

I've got one 1911 left, A Colt. I would like to get Yost or Jason to do a fighting gun for me one of these days.:upeyes:

V/r
    Uglyguns

10. SagKC

SagKC

Congrats on your new G30 and welcome! As some have said, IMHO the G30 works fine the way they come from the factory. I enjoy the factory night sights, 9 and 10 round mags, and would like lots and lots of ammo!

To get a feel how well they work without mods, view some of Hickok45's videos on YouTube. He's a great glockster and has several videos including G30s that are more than worth the time.

Safe shooting!

Last edited: Mar 12, 2010
  11. tremor64

tremor64

XS big dots, pearce mag extension, wolff guide rod and springs

12. G-30Jet

G-30Jet

I have to agree, minimum mods on a defense weapon. A little polish on the trigger bar, striker safety and connector and some night sights. The 30 is usually a 'target' grade shooter in trained hands. Buy some practice ammo and get to the range.

13. Chambered

Chambered

I did 3 mods to both of my Glocks.

-extended slide release
    -extended slide lock (I was having trouble field stripping with the stock one)
    -Pearce Mag extensions (+3 on the G26)

I want to add night sights to both of them in the near future.
    Other than that stock.

14. Uglyguns

Uglyguns

Tremor:
    What's wrong with the the spring and guide rod? I posted WTB on the big dots. Already have the pearce's on both my mags.

G30:
    I'm spot on at 25 yard with her as she sits. I was just wondering if anyone was changing out the barrle to get it a bit more accurate.

V/r
    Anevolution

15. garander

garander

you can also put a small spot on the wall and do some dry firing to
    help you better wrestle with that glock trigger. i sometimes balance a
    nickel on the front sight and dry fire without it falling off.

16. zeme05

zeme05

I have had a g23 for 15 yrs. I have acquired a G26 and G21sf. I recently bought a G30sf and shot it once and sold it. I am sorry but I just couldn't get use to the "brick". I currently have a g19 on order and may stop at that. I never thought I's say my G23 is sleek. but.....

17. fmfdocglock

fmfdocglock

The G-30 is my favorite.

No mods. Like it just the way it is.

18. Toby196

Toby196 Low Speed, High Drag

Yeah, I initially had the same impression, going from my G23 to a G30. But when I fired the G30 for the first time and was hitting nothing but the center ring on my target, I fell in love. For some reason, even though it feels less natural in my hand than my G23, it is far more accurate for me. :dunno: Anyway, it didn't take long before it replaced the G23 as my daily carry weapon.

As far as what mods I've done: the trigger on mine initially had a very gritty feel to it. After a very light $0.25 trigger job, it felt completely different/better. The only other mod that I prefer is the addition of night-sights, but since mine came with them already installed, I was good to go.

Oh, and I'm not sure if it can be considered a "mod" or not, but the best accessory I purchased for mine was a MTAC holster for it. It actually makes a "brick" like the G30 pretty comfortable (and concealable) to carry.