close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glock 30 vs Glock 36 recoil

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by Urg8rb8, Feb 16, 2017.

1. Urg8rb8

Urg8rb8

I went to the range today intending to rent a Glock 30 because i'm considering it for purchase as a CCW. Unfortunately they didn't have the 30, but, they had a 36 instead so I rented it. After firing a few rounds of it, I noticed that the recoil was a bit punchy. I am wondering what the difference in recoil is between them. I'm guessing the 30 should have less recoil because it has more weight. But how much less? Should I even bother trying to rent a Glock 30 if i've already test fired the 36? My plan is, if I thought the Glock 30 was too punchy, then I was going to just get the Glock 19.

I'm new to the gun world but I am learning a lot! Your help would be greatly helpful and appreciated!

2. OBG17

OBG17

You posted this also in the General Glocking Forum.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2017

3. FLIPPER 348

FLIPPER 348 Bigfoot enthusiast enthusiast

So what?

4. Urg8rb8

Urg8rb8

Yeah I posted here first by accident then realized I should have posted it the other forum.

5. Planetcat

Planetcat

Ive shot both. I would say the g36 has more recoil. My problem with the g36 was that my largish hands had a hard time holding onto it confidently. The g30 or g30s is heavier and has a larger grip, which i found to be a smoother shooter.

6. Baba Louie

Baba Louie

To me, it's not so much the weight/mass but grip width that "feels" more focused. The 21 and 30 have a nice push with some "flex" and more width to spread the love, and can be shot for longer range sessions. The 36, not so much pleasure in longish range sessions, but easier to carry and conceal (altho I do not).

Same difference between my 17 and my son's 43. One I could shoot all day figuratively speaking, the other, not as much fun... and it's only a wee little 9mm. :supergrin:
    (similar difference between an all steel 1911 5" and a lightweight 3" Defender but both have similar width in grip)

Maybe factor in the dwell time too.

Physics. Ergonomics. They be real with the first constant for all, the latter dependent on your hand size/grip.

I look at it this way, Revolver world... a 4" steel K frame vs a smaller J frame snubbie, same round. One I consider more of an experts gun to be shot after you have mastered the larger and developed good habits. Even then, larger has less "felt" fatigue over longer periods of shooting. At least with those examples you can alter the grips to fit hand.

All you can do to the glock is add rubber condom to add width and some softer material in hand. Sometimes that's all it takes.

YMMV of course.
    Oh. Yeah. Almost forgot...

Welcome to GT Urg8

Bill Keith likes this.
  7. CDR_Glock

CDR_Glock

The 30 is wider and heavier so the recoil is definitely less. I don't like to give up on capacity with the 36 so I got rid of it. The G30 is the most accurate of the compacts IMO.

8. Bill Keith

Bill Keith

Welcome to Glock Talk! I have a Glock 36 and have used it for CCW since 2005. I'm used to it and shoot it a lot. I think for a fellow new to the gun world that a Glock 19 would be a smart buy. The 19 is pretty much the cult favorite of the Glock family of weapons. It is a good size, is concealable, and the 9mm is a good defense round as there is some really good defense ammo being made. Practice ammo is very affordable compared to 45 ACP. Recoil in the G19 is very manageable.:cat:

9. Wetrudgeon

Wetrudgeon

We own and carry a G30S and a G36.
    As others have observed, the felt recoil of the G36 is more stout than the wider G30. We think the G36 is very good for its intended mission, but not necessarily suitable for extended range sessions.
    The G30S is definitely more comfortable to shoot, and hides nearly as well. Our G30S has all but replaced our G36 as our hedge and shield against incarnate evil.

We trudge on.

10. tjpet

tjpet

I've got pretty big hands and, for lack of a better description, the 36 feels awkward. I much prefer the 30s over any other Glock .45acp offering, period.