Glock Talk banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hello, still waiting for the background check to come back then my g30 comes home! Yesterday I took a concealed carry class, learned A LOT, have been reading, and I'm not 100 percent sure I made the right purchase. Gun is for EDC, IWB Any opinions, suggestions? Thank you!
I am 6'1" experienced with firearms and handguns, owned g19, and g42, didn't like either, 19's finger grooves we're uncomfortable with my pinky, felt snappy, g42 I wasn't accurate with either, favorite Glock I have shot is g20 gen3 , recently fired g21 liked it as well. I am medium build wide shoulders if that helps,. Thank you!

·
Registered
10,766 Posts
The Glock 30 is a fine carry piece. I carried a 30SF and a 30S for several years before switching to the 43X. I would not fret it.

But if you were to trade, I would go with the 26 simply because ammo will be easier to find (GAP is largely a dead cartridge) and the 39 really doesn't offer anything better than the 30.

·
Registered
6,669 Posts
Id be good with that decision

Some will tell you yes, some will tell you no

Only you can truly answer the question

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
for me the biggest point to address is if the particular firearm fit me.

I.E...

had a Gen 3 Glock 21, I felt the frame was too big as when firing hotter round I'd have to adjust my grip after a couple rounds, couldn't lock down on it with my grip.

had a Gen 3 Glock 26, couldn't get used to the pinky under the mag so I got higher capacity mags (19 & 17 mags) and added an X Grip, got ring finger pinch when doing rapid mag changes so I switched to a Gen 4 Glock 23.

I have a Glock 43X, seemed small, I added a Hogue beavertail grip sleeve with finger grooves which causes me to feel I have the best grip, hot rounds and mag dumps are no issue.

caliber is important, capacity is important, concealment is important but fit is key, whether you find a sidearm that just fits your hand or you are able to use a grip frame enhancement (read grip sleeve) to fit your hand.

·
Registered
8,533 Posts
I have been EDC since 1981 and you will get the hang to it. Many options to carry, i.e. OWB, IWB or AIWB among others. Yesterday I carried a Glock 17 OWB under a Hawaiian shirt.

Take a lot of classes and watch training videos. I like Active Self Protection on YouTube.

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Excellent gun, excellent calilber.
I find it noticeable heavier to carry than the G26, g27 or any other of the old standard frame glocks.
I find that that smidgen wider width vs standard glock frames is noticable in IWB holsters.
I need the extended pinky base plate, or the +2 baseplate with finger groove so I can get all fingers comfortably on grip.
Cost of practice ammo is noticeable higher, but is a decision you can make.
What to say, it is in my rotation..

·
MacGyver
9,681 Posts
If you have good shooting and grip fundamentals, it would or should not matter. If you struggle with grip fundamentals, then 30 is a compact platform, and in general more difficult to master than a full grip.

·
Registered
8,454 Posts
Hello, still waiting for the background check to come back then my g30 comes home! Yesterday I took a concealed carry class, learned A LOT, have been reading, and I'm not 100 percent sure I made the right purchase. Gun is for EDC, IWB Any opinions, suggestions? Thank you!
I'm not sure what you learned at the class that would make you doubt your choice, but I think you're getting a bit ahead of yourself. Before worrying about trading in something you haven't even fired yet, wait, get the gun and put at least a couple boxes of ammo through it. If you like the way it shoots, get a good gun belt and a quality holster and you should be good to go.

·
Registered
547 Posts
What I carry depends on the weather (Spring, Summer...) and dress. I carry a G30 in Commie States with magazine limits. Summer it's a S&W M37, Sig P230 or G43 pocket carrying in shorts.

EDC means you have a great holster that fits you and the gun. Start with your G30 an grow from there.

Good luck!

·
Quick! Duck!
5,337 Posts
Go shoot the snot out of it and you decide if you like it. If you do, get a good holster to go with it*. If yours is a Gen 4, you can make it fit your hand (and shoulders 😊). I just ordered a G30 and I have no doubt I made the right decision. Of course I do all my second guessing BEFORE I buy. Timing matters.
*AlienGear Cloak Tucks are nice and comfy.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm not sure what you learned at the class that would make you doubt your choice, but I think you're getting a bit ahead of yourself. Before worrying about trading in something you haven't even fired yet, wait, get the gun and put at least a couple boxes of ammo through it. If you like the way it shoots, get a good gun belt and a quality holster and you should be good to go.
Thank you! Very good advice

·
Registered
209 Posts
I carry a G30 exclusively, OWB in a Don Hume H721OT with a Wilderness Instructors belt. Carrying a G21 mag on the offside helped balance my stride. I'm a proponent of carry what you shoot best, and the G30 fits my hand best and shoots the straightest. Carrying OWB, I had to switch to an untucked shirt look, but after years of carrying this combo I'm pretty used to it. Good luck with your outfit.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts