Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Glock 30, sometimes extractor sticks open when left loaded and fails to eject.

About 300 rounds thry it maxed, light to dry lubed with rem oil. Functions fine, I don't think it has ever failed to extract when firing but if I leave it sitting loaded for awhile the extractor has repeatedly stuck in the open postion, fails to extract and it's difficult to break lose.

Because of this I've not 100% confident in the gun and don't carry it, I end up carrying the G19 instead but would prefer to carry the G30 if it was totally reliable.

Thoughts as to what is causing this and any solution?

·
mmm bop
823 Posts
detail strip the slide and clean the extractor and the extractor channel real good. make sure the extractor spring isnt broken or gritty/sticky maybe from the excess lube.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice man, I will try this, I have always aired on the light side of lube with my Glocks so I don't see excess lube as an issue.

detail strip the slide and clean the extractor and the extractor channel real good. make sure the extractor spring isnt broken or gritty/sticky maybe from the excess lube.

·
RetiredDinosaur
11,582 Posts
Glock 30, sometimes extractor sticks open when left loaded and fails to eject.
The extractor has an *open* position? Got pics?

About 300 rounds thry it maxed, light to dry lubed with rem oil. Functions fine, I don't think it has ever failed to extract when firing but if I leave it sitting loaded for awhile the extractor has repeatedly stuck in the open postion, fails to extract and it's difficult to break lose.
There should be *NO* lube on or near the extractor.

It has never failed to fire/function correctly, but you don't trust it.....the first thing I'd have you do is go shoot it a whole bunch more.

You don't load it by putting a round in the chamber and slamming the slide closed on it do you?

Waiting for pics.

:patriot:

·
Registered
395 Posts
Although I have had no problem with the 30 that I carry every day, I did have a similair incident occur with a rental a few years back. I am a revolver person so it was during the switch. We determined that part of my hand was touching the slide just enough to slow the slide. I adjusted my grip and have not a problem even though I have tried many times to recreate the same incident on my current gun.

·
Private side
11,504 Posts
I echo Butch's request for pictures of this "open" of which you speak.
If no pictures, please describe better:dunno:

·
NRA Benefactor
4,681 Posts
Assuming your "open extractor" is meaning it is sticking out to the side as if it had a case under it,

Butch is right NO lube on any of those parts. There's only about 6 places you should lube after you clean and wipe off your Glock. Rails (counting as one), three contact points on the barrel, inside of slide where front of chamber block (for lack of better term) rubs, contact point between trigger bar and connector, and top of "bump" on trigger bar (contact point with firing pin safety). That's it.

BTW, how old is your RemOil? I "think"* RemOil has been reformulated not long ago (couple years?). The old stuff would coagulate and get "sticky" after awhile finally becoming like tar. I've seen actions (these happened to be in double barrel, over/under shotguns) that were like glued solid (springs, firing pins, extractors) because the owner gave 'em a good dousing in RemOil for a prolonged storage, in this case a couple months.

I've seen others use it more recently with no probs but I won't touch it.

I use triple one Trich followed by well shaken CLP or Ballistol. I don't think that is the only stuff that you can use, it's just an old standby that works.

*worth what you paid for it!!

·
Registered
189 Posts
Don't know; but if you have disassembled the slide the extractor plunger can easily be put in backwards. Remember plastic to plastic (inspection cover) and metal to metal (extractor).

My first Glock was a 17 and all the "big boys" said cleaning was not necessary with a Glock. At about 700 rounds I got a failure to extract. Carbon build up in the extractor channel cutout. Never have seen any like that again.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I did not use the words open "position" or say it had an open position, reading is a good thing.. I said it will stick or freeze open and not extract when left loaded for a couple days. Can't do picks unless you want to send me a digital camera which I'd like to have, lol.

I'm going to thoroughly clean it then shoot it, then clean again and leave it stored loaded to see if this happens again.

I'm not a newbie Glock owner or shooter so I've considered the obvious stuff. Was hoping someone may have experienced this issue. Thanks for all the advice.

I echo Butch's request for pictures of this "open" of which you speak.
If no pictures, please describe better:dunno:

·
RetiredDinosaur
11,582 Posts
I did not use the words open "position" or say it had an open position, reading is a good thing..
I should say so.....read this:
but if I leave it sitting loaded for awhile the extractor has repeatedly stuck in the open postion

I said it will stick or freeze open and not extract when left loaded for a couple days.
Again...it freezes 'open'...what does that mean?

Can't do picks unless you want to send me a digital camera which I'd like to have, lol.
Maybe you could go to your 'Paint' program and draw us a diagram? Or, do you have a scanner? Lay the gun on it so we can see the extractor in 'the open position'.

·
Private side
11,504 Posts
I did not use the words open "position" or say it had an open position, reading is a good thing.. I said it will stick or freeze open and not extract when left loaded for a couple days. Can't do picks unless you want to send me a digital camera which I'd like to have, lol.

I'm going to thoroughly clean it then shoot it, then clean again and leave it stored loaded to see if this happens again.

I'm not a newbie Glock owner or shooter so I've considered the obvious stuff. Was hoping someone may have experienced this issue. Thanks for all the advice.
To quote your original post: "...Glock 30, sometimes extractor sticks open when left loaded and fails to eject." If the gun is loaded, the extractor should be resting in position to extract the round. Lets call this closed. Open would then be the orientation of the extractor when the slide has traveled rearward, pulling the case out of the chamber and back to the ejector.

Reading is simple. Comprehending what was written can be difficult. Are you saying the extractor is staying in what I described as open when the slide is forward on a loaded round? Does it do the same thing on an empty chamber? Does it do it only after you hand cycle the slide or does it do it when a round is fired and the slide cycles during the course of the gun functioning? See my confusion? That is why I asked for pictures or clarification?
As I am no novice to shooting nor to Glocks, I will say I have never heard of or experienced this problem as you described. It shouldn't be hard to troubleshoot.

·
Registered
939 Posts
I don't get it either. An "extractor" doesn't open or close. :dunno:

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
The extractor in effect pivots, guck will cause problems, oil+dirt= guck! clean the channel, no oil! the cut out in the slide that the extractor fits in, might have some dirt in it, see formula above!

Lay the parts out on a clean cloth, spring loaded bearing-spring-extractor depressor plunger-extractor, these parts should be free of oil or grit, the channel should be clean, and the extractor slot also clean, no oil.

I have never heard of a roughness on the extractor, or the channel it pivots in, but magnify those bits, see what you can see. All else fails! send the slide back to Smyrna.

Taking a Glock Armorers Course is very interesting, the newest model of this program is excellent, I have just taken my third, learn something every time.

Another part that needs no oil, firing pin safety.

Do not carry till happy, G19 makes me happy, advice not asked for in this area! Sorry.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I think the Rem oil has caused a sticky situation. I used some back in the 90's when the stuff came to market. It was fine if you used it repeatedly every month or so. Mess up and wait 2 months and it was like old gas. The stuff would make safeties, firing pins, triggers, bolts, you name it, it would stick. No rust though. I quit using it and just used CLP. No problems with that. I would slide the back plate off the slide, watch for the spring holding the extractor bearing in and clean that really good, go ahead and pull the firing pin, the firing pin safety, and the extractor out and get a q tip to use to clean out any sticky substance from the inside of the slide and parts.

I have no idea what you are talking about from your wording of your post. I have a pretty high comprehension level, but your description is clear as mudbog water. However, if this is a Glock, and you are having extraction problems, this is the place to start.
One other thing, clean the chamber and make sure you don't have a sticky ammo problem. Some reloads will not be taper crimped and can stick, but most of the time they won't go into battery to begin with. Also, if you shot Wolf, maybe you could have sticky extraction. I have never heard of that except with AR15s.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Sounds like gunk has built up in the extractor. Thoroughly clean and NEVER lubricate in the future. If problem persists, I would swap-out the extractor with a new one - easy fix.

·
FREEDOM
346 Posts
I had this problem with a G-23, and it was very perplexing to me.

I live in Florida and we have a law that makes it a felony if kids get their hands on your loaded weapon. So I would keep the G-23 (my main carry piece) unloaded when not on me. Upon returning to it, I would take one round and chamber it, then insert a loaded magazine. This caused the extractor to go around the outside of the rim, when usually it would not move, but strip a round out of the top of the magazine, and the rim would slide up from under, and into the extractor slot with out the extractor moving laterally to chamber the round.

When I cleaned the slide, there were metal "filings" all over the firing pin safety. I cleaned the slide throughly which fixed the problem. When I finally figured out it originated from chambering a loose round so frequently, stopped and began to either A) Lock the firearm loaded with a Saf-T-Blok and lock, or B) inserted a magazine with one round in it, chambered that round and then inserted my full magazine.

Even though the extractor is being held slightly out, therefore not able to grab the rim, upon pulling the trigger the firing pin safety will be released and the extractor click home before the trigger is fully pulled. It should be safe to carry the pistol.

Hope this helps. Clean the slide and post back what you find.
River

·
Registered
5,403 Posts
Please don't get huffy with the folks who are trying to understand what you described poorly so that they can help you.

I'm thinking that what you mean by "stuck open" is that the extractor is pivoted outward and has not returned to its normal position from the spring tension that is, or should be, forcing it to do so.

Very strange. I will echo what others have said. Thoroughly disassemble, clean, and examine the extractor channel and all parts. Check an exploded Glock diagram to make sure all parts are present and assembled correctly. Make sure there are no burrs or anything else in the channel that would prevent the plunger from sliding easily. Lastly, don't lube the extractor or channel--it's to be dry.

If this problem continues, I would call Glock and describe the problem and what you have done to correct it. They may want to see the gun, but I'm sure they'd make it right.

Keep us posted.

K

·
Registered
5,403 Posts
I think River is on to something. Good insight. I think Butch also alluded to this.

K

·
Registered
255 Posts
RiverVan is correct. I ALWAYS load one in the chamber via a magazine, then insert a full mag into the frame.

I've always heard that placing one round manually into the chamber, then slamming home the slide will damage the extractor.

·
RetiredDinosaur
11,582 Posts
Check it out!

Yes, I finally took my G30 and tried to get the extractor to stick 'open'. I could not get it to do it at all until I took the extractor depressor plunger assembly out and installed it backwards (as ArmstrongBob suggested might be involved).

After doing that it stuck the first time I pushed it out...as can be seen in the picture. Apparently with the spring loaded bearing forward against the extractor, it can flex enough to let the firing pin safety move downward just enough to get the extractor stuck, as pushing the FP safety in allows the extractor to move back into it's correct position.

Now if this is why his is sticking, the question that remains is, 'how does the extractor get pushed out far enough to make it stick?'

I tried putting a dummy round into my guns chamber and slamming the slide shut on it a couple times, but it didn't push the extractor out far enough to make it stick. Chambering it from the magazine also failed to do it.

I can't imagine that his 'leaving it loaded for a while' could have anything to do with it....with the possible exception of there being something wrong with the extractor that causes it to be pushed out far enough to stick during the loading process.

I sure wish I could see his G30....

1 - 20 of 25 Posts