Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purshased my first handgun roughly 2 weeks ago, Glock 30 SF. I was totally unaware of the ftrtb and ftf issues concerning the gun before purchasing. Before firing the gun for the first time, I noticed the scratch to the tb. Upon initial firing of the weapon I had no problem loading the 10th round, but getting the magazine to set was moderatly difficult. I did notice a scratch/indent on the top round of the magazine. I put 100 round through it without a hiccup, though it was difficult to get the 1st round in the chamber(Pulling the slide back). The tb scratch got slightly worse after my session at the range. NO ftf or ftrtb's. I did notice the rear rails were lower than the front.

1.Should I do the 25cent trigger job?
2.Should I feel safe with it as a CCW (It is my only handgun)?
3.Or, Should I get rid of it in trade of an alternative?
4. Any other input???
Thanks in Advance!

·
Registered
435 Posts
I think the G30 and G30SF are great ccw guns. My usual ccw is a G30 (not sf) and it's always difficult to seat the magazine if it has 10 rounds. What I usually do is lock back the slide insert the mag then release the slide. I've nearly put a 1000 rounds through it with only one failure ( a factory reload that didn't fire). I don't have any worries about it being my main ccw gun. I don't have any trigger mods or anything non stock on my carry guns so I wouldn't know how useful/reliable the 25 cent trigger job would be.

·
Premium Member
1,761 Posts
As a rule I put 250 rounds of practice ammo thru a new gun (WWB or Blazer, etc) then 50 rounds of whatever round I intend to carry thru it. I carry Federal 230gr HST in my 30sf. The gun, by the way, is 3 months old, has 600-700 rounds thru it with no failures. I too have the scratch on the trigger bar but once I noticed it I polished the tb and it has gotten no worse. This gun is in my carry rotation and I have no qualms about it.

I'd polish the tb, do a .25 trigger job, put some non-plastic sights on it and fire away.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have the G30SF, it's my only gun, and I carry it every day. I too have a scratch on the trigger bar, and it's tough to get the 10 round mag into the frame. Other than that, the only problem I've had was a temporary inability to feed Federal HSTs. I took it to my gun shop, he polished some of the internals, and I haven't failed to feed anything since. About 700 rounds through it now, I'm getting pretty damn lethal with it, and I'm completely confident having it on my hip every day.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I've had my G30SF for a little over a year. Over 2,000 rounds and not the first problem. No problems whatsoever, no modifications. After several months, I could finally get the 10 round mag in with one in the chamber. I left my extra mags loaded with 10 rounds. Now, no problem. BTW, the G21 mag with 13 rounds were never a problem. I often use the 13 round mag for the range.
It is my everyday carry and I have no concerns regarding reliability.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I carry two 30SF's every day and trust my life to them.

I would never do that with ANY sidearm until I have fired hundreds of rounds through it with no malfunctions. 500 is a good mark to go for. my 30SF's passed that test perfectly.

·
Registered
29 Posts
i have a sf and i love it. i was a bit worried at first about the mags being a tight fit when full. racking the slide was also dificult at first to get the 10th in. but after a few trips to the range that went away and it racks fine. i had two failures to feed that im not sure if i wanna blame ammo or what. but i trust it. 350 rds. its a bit on the big side for some ccw cases. but i am gunna wear it with an external holster on my belt and a hoody covering it as soon as it chills down here. if you are gunna try to put it in your belt get a good holster... alot of people like the crossbread supertuck.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I have not had any issues with either of my G30SF pistols.I did drop a G21 trigger assembly in them before the first time the range. No marks on the trigger bar yet. Dead nutz reliable for 500 rounds of various ammo.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So Im feeling a little more confident now about the 30sf. For a second I thought I made a really bad mistake. Now Im just deciding whether to do the polish tb and do the .25 trigger job or put the G21 trigger assembly in there.Again, thanks for all the positive feedback.

·
Banned
721 Posts
Good luck with your new 30sf. They are really soft ,accurate shooters. Seems everyone has a tight mag insertion thing with thiers. They loosen up over time. I happened to have a couple of issues that i could'nt live with unless glock told me it was ok and would get better. I sent it and recieved a call that they were willing to replace it. I requ a standard 30. Shoots as good as the sf. Fits my hand a bit better to. Two weeks after glock sends me my first standard 30,I find a 2004 pre rail 30 that was stored after firing 2 mags worth of rds. I felt bad for the guy who stored it all that time then had to sell it. I like it more than my recently made 30. Niether have tb marks. I thumb my mags in now.
Polishing(lightly) on the whole tb(.25 cents worth)especiallt those two particular spots can only better the trigger. If you don't take any material off then it's not a mod imo. I don't do anything else to my two 30's. All stock. Great gun you have there.
Enjoy.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, thanks to all the positive feedback, I feel alot more comfortable with my 30sf. I plan on putting a few more hundred rounds through it and hope for the best. Im pretty sure I wont be disappointed. My search feature has not been working for me too well. Can anyone please direct me where I can find the easiest how-to on the polishing and trigger job? Again, you all have been a great help!

·
Proud American
86 Posts
So Im feeling a little more confident now about the 30sf. For a second I thought I made a really bad mistake. Now Im just deciding whether to do the polish tb and do the .25 trigger job or put the G21 trigger assembly in there.Again, thanks for all the positive feedback.
I have about 600 rounds through my SF with no problems thus far. I was in the same place you are a couple of weeks ago, and decided a few days ago to do it. My take on it is that it is good practice taking the weapon apart, but the .25 trigger job did absolutely nothing to make any noticeable difference. I'm not telling you not to do it, just that you shouldn't expect too much from it. Good luck!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Does the front portion of the gun, where the slide meets the frame, look slightly misfitted to you? I feel that its not as snug as the other models... IMO

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
My EDC is a G30 (non SF) and it does have the scratch on the TB. I had a few sluggish RTBs on my frist trip to the range... I put a Wolff Recoil Spring Assemby with 19# springs and Hi Slip grease on the rails. I also polished the TB a little bit where the scratch is.
I have fired 450 flawless rounds and I carry the gun on mi hip as I type. G30s and G30SFs are probably the best .45 shooters out there you can carry. Just make sure you run enough rounds through it to make sure everything works as it should.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Havent had any issues with mine

·
Old timer
15,517 Posts
I purshased my first handgun roughly 2 weeks ago, Glock 30 SF. I was totally unaware of the ftrtb and ftf issues concerning the gun before purchasing. Before firing the gun for the first time, I noticed the scratch to the tb. Upon initial firing of the weapon I had no problem loading the 10th round, but getting the magazine to set was moderatly difficult. I did notice a scratch/indent on the top round of the magazine. I put 100 round through it without a hiccup, though it was difficult to get the 1st round in the chamber(Pulling the slide back). The tb scratch got slightly worse after my session at the range. NO ftf or ftrtb's. I did notice the rear rails were lower than the front.

1.Should I do the 25cent trigger job?
2.Should I feel safe with it as a CCW (It is my only handgun)?
3.Or, Should I get rid of it in trade of an alternative?
4. Any other input???
Thanks in Advance!
1. Up to you... I don't think it needs it, YMMV.
2. were the 100 rounds with your carry ammo? If so, personally I'd put another 100 rds thru it, but again...
3. Like what? I wouldn't trade it.
4. You've got a great weapon. Shoot it and get comfortable with it, it will serve you well.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just put another 100 rounds thru it over the weekend. Shot flawlessly. Still got the TB scratch, but Im done with worrying about it. No FTF and no FTRTB's. I love this gun and it is dead accurate. Again, thanks for all the help.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts