close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glock 30 pinky pinch?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by cjkoz1975, Feb 12, 2012.

1. cjkoz1975

cjkoz1975

Is it the 30, 30sf, or 36 that has the big pinky pinch issue with the magazines? I finally got the chance to hold a 30 today, not a 30sf. It felt pretty good, but I'm still waiting to hold a 30sf. Let me know if this is a real issue. Thanks

2. barth

barth six barrels

It's the picky extension on the grip that pinches me?
    Don't think the model matters?
    Go with a flush grip and the pinching thing is gone for me...

Last edited: Feb 12, 2012

3. MikeInVb

MikeInVb

This one truly depends on the size of your hands. For example, I have 2 G30's and in my hand I don't get pinched as my ring finger completely fills the last grip bump and my pinky rests completely on the magazine extension. My wife, however, her pinky rests inside the crevice between the magazine and the grip and it pinches her every single shot (thus she doesn't shoot my G30)

4. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr CLM

It's the sharp edge of the baseplate. Take a file or sand paper and round it
    over a bit. The pinching will disapear.

5. DubfromGA

DubfromGA

Don't over analyze things.

Shot my G30 with the stock 10 rd magazines.....no pinch.

6. cjkoz1975

cjkoz1975

I don't want to over analyze but I seem to see alot about the pinky being pinched. I just don't want to buy something that I think will be great and then be disappointed. I have a g26 gen3 and love it. I don't use any mag extensions just shoot it stock. I know alot of people use the extensions bit I dont feel the need. I noticed when holding the 30 that my whole hand fits the grip with the mags on it. It felt good but haven't tried 30sf yet. I did like 30 better than 36. Just don't want extreme discomfort.

7. adaman04

adaman04

The one design flaw of the G30, in my opinion, is the grip length. I guess it was designed to be a BUG to the G21, but it's far too big for that for most users. I think Glock should have lengthened the grip enough to allow a standard flat base plate on the 10 round mag (as is available on the G30 9 round mag).

The short grip and larger base plate, require most users with average sized hands to have to "fly" the pinky off the grip for the reload. Not doing so results in the famous pinch. I encountered this. Options were to fly the pinky or take the pinch and possibly not get the mag fully seated. Fine for a range gun, not so great at a high round count pistol class where the shooter will be doing a lot of reloads, or for a carry gun of its size, in my opinion.

I sold my G30, only Glock I've sold. I miss it every now and again. I'd still have it if it were designed as mentioned above. Great gun overall, just a few quirks.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2012
  8. bilkay

bilkay

I just bought a G30SF and shot it for the first time today. I did not get any pinch with the 10 round magazines, although I have in the past with a rental pistol.

Having said that, I prefer using the flush 9 round magazine in the pistol. Only because that's what I plan to carry- a 9 rounder in the pistol with a 13 rounder as a spare.

9. cjkoz1975

cjkoz1975

What mags does it come with? I would be getting the LE version as a firefighter.

10. bilkay

bilkay

That will come with three 10 rounders.

11. KenMac

KenMac

I have both a G30sf and a G29sf and have never suffered a pinky pinch.

12. Mystery Meat

Mystery Meat

I shot my new 30sf for the first time last week. Using the 10-round mags, I got pinched every time. It's not painful, but it's distracting. I put on gloves after the second mag. I haven't tried the 9-round mags. faawrenchbndr suggested filing or sanding the sharp edge of the base plate to see if it helps. If that really is the cure for the pinky pinch, why doesn't Glock remove the sharp edge?

13. G30SF46

G30SF46

2nd this never even had any of the 10 people that I shoot with that have shot it having this problem

Glock 30

14. G30Mike

G30Mike Say When!

The only time I've been pinched by mine is during fast reloads in IDPA matches. Funny thing is, I didn't notice I did it until I got home and saw the little blood blister I had. Not a big deal really, and it didn't effect my shooting during the matches.
    I've never been pinched while actually shooting though as my pinky rests right on the baseplate. I also picked up a few of the Pierce grips for my mags and haven't been bitten since, even during fast reloads.

15. cole

cole Millennium Member

If you run a Pearce or Scherer grip you may get pinched as there is more gap. I had those and did not prefer them. I run stock G30 mags with no issues, but your hand may differ from mine.

16. Glock Master

Glock Master

It's the G36 that has the pinky pinch issue.

17. AgentM79

AgentM79 Platinum Member

THIS!! I, too, sold mine for this and other reasons.

18. eclark53520

eclark53520

Doing fast mag changes with the G30 and the 10rd mags, I do encounter some pinch issues as well as some issues fully seating the mag sometimes.

Which is why i carry a backup G21 mag. No pinching, no problem slamming it home.