Glock Talk banner

Glock 30 Pinky Finger Question

2K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  Gperfection 
#1 ·
Three months ago I purchased a new Glock 30 Gen 4 and to date I have shot 900 rounds. Before I bought the gun I shot a rental Glock 30 Gen 3 two times to make sure that I wanted to buy the 30.

I am a left handed shooter and my question is about the grip with my left hand. When firing the gun I am trying to decide the best position for my pinky finger. I have tried to squeeze the grip mostly with my second and third fingers and let my pinky lay against the front of the mag with no squeezing pressure from my pinky. I have found that when also squeezing with my pinky it tends to move the gun. I have also tried to squeeze the grip mostly with my second and third fingers and let my pinky curl under the bottom of the mag. When shooting, consistency is very important and I am constantly switching back and forth trying to figure out where to put my pinky.

My target accuracy at the range appears to be pretty much the same regardless of where I place pinky.

I am using the OEM Glock 10 round mags. I have also tried the Pearce PG-30 grip extension (no additional rounds) and have removed them from the mags. With the Pearce extension I would try to completely place my pinky in the pinky finger groove which made my index finger press against the trigger guard resulting in Glock knuckle when firing the gun.

With the above information do any Glock 30 owners/shooters have suggestions about the proper or best strong hand pinky finger placement?

Thanks, Bill

See less See more
#3 ·
I recall hickok 45 saying he doesn't worry about his pinky finger. He said it often just "hangs" out of the way.

#5 ·
If you are considering curling your pinky under the mag, it'd sure be nice if you could try with a 9 round flush fitting mag.

I shoot my Gen 3 G 30 with a full grip normally and with pinky curled under the base of the mag with 9 rounders.

#6 ·
I realize the difficulty as I have always had a pistol with a shorter grip. I had a Colt Mustang that I learned to deal with not having a comfortable place to place my pinky finger.
I learned to adapt and over came the obstacle. I have a G27 that I carry with the 9 round magazine as well as a G29 that has the same sort of a system. My suggestion is if you can't find an extension you like, then go back to the original set up and keep practicing with it and get acclimated. Maybe some dry fire practice who benefit you too.
Good luck.

Elwood

#9 ·
I realize the difficulty as I have always had a pistol with a shorter grip. I had a Colt Mustang that I learned to deal with not having a comfortable place to place my pinky finger.
I learned to adapt and over came the obstacle. I have a G27 that I carry with the 9 round magazine as well as a G29 that has the same sort of a system. My suggestion is if you can't find an extension you like, then go back to the original set up and keep practicing with it and get acclimated. Maybe some dry fire practice who benefit you too.
Good luck.

Elwood
Thanks Elwood. I am doing what you suggest - going back to my original setup without the Pearce extension and keep shooting trying to decide what to do with my pinky.

#12 ·
Sounds like your squeezing too hard if the weakest finger on the hand is moving the gun.

With my 30sf and the 10rd mag I leave it on the mag floor plate.

On the G26 with stock base plates my pinkie goes under.

#13 ·
Hi, Bill
Try this, "hold" the pistol lightly with the strong hand, placing the pinky where it belongs on the extension portion of the stock mag. Now, "grip" with your support hand. This prevents the strong hand and the action of pulling the trigger from torquing the pistol and pulling the gun off target. So, the strong hand holds the weapon while the support hand secures it, and all the fingers have a place to reside. If/when you use a 9 round mag, just tuck the pinky under and follow the same procedure.

Good Luck and good shooting. :supergrin:

#14 ·
I use the 9 round flush base plate mag and curl my little finger under the mag. The 30 conceals better with the flush mag as well when carried at about 4:00 outside the waistband.

When I carry an extra magazine, it is a 13 round from my G21. When I practice with this setup my little finger touches the front of the magazine loosely, but doesn't actually grip it.

I do the same with my Mod 26, ie, flush mag and a Mod 17 or Mod 19 extra mag.

They say that competitive target shooters are trained not to use the little finger on the grip because it can make them pull their shots.

In the end, it's what you practice with that counts the most and what others do are just good suggestions for you to try.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.