Glock 30 or 36

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by alzeller, May 2, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alzeller

alzeller FFL

Glock 30 or 36
    I can't decide between the 30 and 36.
    The 30 will run me 475 and the 519.

Any good or bad on either of these.

Control, Recoil, Accuracy.

Anyone know of cheaper prices on these.

Albert Zeller

2. steelerfan

steelerfan Country Roads..

Welcome, Albert. If you search through the archives here in the Big Dawgs Club you will find more info than you'll want to hear.:)

I prefer the 30 over the 36 because the 30 holds more rounds and is a little softer on recoil. They are both fun to shoot. I would recommend going to a gun show so you can see how both feel in your hands. Some think the 30's grip is too fat to be comfortable but that is very subjective. Even better would be to go to a range that rents them so you can fire both before you buy.

Again, welcome aboard.

snowbird.40 likes this.

3. DaveR120

DaveR120

I like my 36. The extra thin frame makes a huge difference for concealed carry. I also figure, if it takes more than 7 rounds of .45 ACP, then I may be in trouble anyway.

Blanton, snowbird.40 and Mike-M like this.
  4. jhfenton

jhfenton Evil Marathoner

I've fondled both and liked both. I did slightly prefer the slimmer feel of the 36 over the 30, but both were comfortable.

Of course, I'm attracted to the 29. Now if only we had a slimline 10 mm, my dilemma would be over. Oh well, my problem....

Was that helpful?

5. Tphipps

Tphipps

I find the 36 easier to conceal and more comfortable to wear on a long day, especially when driving. I find the extra rounds of the 30 comforting, expecially when on a long trip like a vacation.

I have medium hands, actually medium palms and short fingers. My 14 year old son (big kid) already has hands a bit larger than mine. But I find the 30 very comfortable to shoot. No reaching for the trigger and the fat grip really lessens the recoil of +P loads.

I shoot both accurately, but prefer the 30 when I can get away with it.

Either gun is a great one to own. I bought the 36 first then added the 30. Carry the 30 about 90 percent of the time.

Tim

6. Full_Metal_Jacket

Full_Metal_Jacket

You couldn't go wrong with either one. I own both. They are both unbelievably accurate and great fun to shoot. All the complaints that you run across with folks b*tching about G36 and recoil is very over blown IMHO. The key to it it is regular practice.

For yourself, if it's primarily for CCW go for the G36. I carry 2 extra magazines, both with the Pearce +1 mag extenders. If 7 + 1 doesn't do it for you..... They look great and it works fine with the original spring. If this is to be for home defense and range shooting perhaps the G30 would be the way to go. I shoot both every weekend. Let us know how you go! :cool:

snowbird.40 likes this.
  7. Steve-O

Steve-O

$64,000 question: Have you tried them yet? I have seen enough on this board to know every Glock model is the favorite of someone or a group of people. Different physical makeup, such as hand size, concealability desires, etc. I personally preferred and purchased a 30. But that's me. If you haven't tried them yet, then a simple session at the range may make the answer to that question a no-brainer.....for you; key words: "for you".

It'd be a real pity if you were to purchase one, then try the other down the road and realize that you should have taken the other path.

snowbird.40 likes this.
  8. alzeller

alzeller FFL

I just ordered a 30 from discount guns ($519). This is my first Glock.

Thanks for all the input on this.

vba and Buckeye63 like this.
  9. JJ30

JJ30

I also had a tuff time deciding between the 30 or 36. I bought the 30 and couldn't be happier. I will admit, for a few days the grip did feel just a little thick. But wait, something was happening, as the days went on I don't know exactly how it happened but one of two things did occur, either the grip got smaller or my hand got bigger. ;) G30 magic. Perfectly fits my hand now!

snowbird.40 likes this.
  10. 10-Ring

10-Ring

I guess I went against the grain on the grip thing...I like'em big, I guess that's why my favorite pistols are doulble stack 45's :D So, if you take that logic the next step, you would figure I went with the double stack 30 over the 36.

11. Judgemax

Judgemax

The 30S has the frame of the 30SF with the thinner slide of the 36.

Some time ago, I decided I had to have the 30SF when it came out. Then I thought it would be a better EDC with a thinner, lighter slide - like the 36 (which didn’t have the best reliability record). So, I bought the 36 just to get the slide so I could put it on the 30SF to have the gun Glock later made a regular part of their lineup — the 30S.

IMO, you owe it to yourself to check it out.

12. Buckeye63

Buckeye63

This will not be your last Glock!

I really like the 30 ..
    But I like my 30S a bit better ...
    I find no real problem with carrying my 29 though.. Being its the same size as the 30 , it should work great ..
    image.jpeg image.jpeg

snowbird.40 likes this.
  13. fasteddie565

fasteddie565 Combat Diver

Uhmm you guys do realize you are responding to a 17 year old thread?

snowbird.40 and MinervaDoe like this.
  14. Mike-M

Mike-M

The G30SF did not exist until six years after the first post in this thread.

The G30S did not exist until eleven years after the first post in this thread.

Why was this thread resurrected?

L-2, snowbird.40 and Buckeye63 like this.
  15. Judgemax

Judgemax

As a public service because new Glock owners are being born every day. This thread addressed a couple models I bought and liked until a better combination of their existing products was finally offered by Glock. I didn’t want a newcomer to make a decision to buy a 30 or 36 without at least knowing about the new and improved (IMO) little 45s even though they’ve been available for many years. Glock’s lineup has gotten much bigger over the last 4 decades and may be confusing to those that haven’t grown up waiting for “arguably better” models to be introduced.

It seems obvious that Glock picked up on what it’s buyers were doing and it became a marketing strategy. For example you could build your own black/black “43X” before it was sold by Glock by using the slide from a 43 on a frame from a silver/black 48. We all now see that Glock has given us the black/black 43X only after many have purchased the 43 and the silver/black 48. I don’t think all of the newcomers appreciate Glock history and that they are able to buy Glocks some of us waited a long time to finally holster.

I would have saved a lot of money if the 43X was out when I decided to buy my first Glock, but I would have missed the fun along the way.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2019 at 5:06 AM
    pjanthony likes this.
  16. Buckeye63

Buckeye63

Time travel ... Real time travel,
    Back to the future.... ;-)

17. Mike-M

Mike-M

You have a monumental task ahead if you are reviewing old threads in need of such "public service". :)
    It isn't likely that many newcomers are prowling through threads that approach two decades old. :)
    I was fortunate. I waited until there was a caliber (40SW) and pistol (Glock G27) that met all my requirements better than anything else available after the 1994 federal assault weapons ban and its magazine capacity limits. That Gen2.5 G27 remains 23 years later my principal EDC weapon, but of course now with a G33 barrel in Glock-sanctioned 357SIG configuration. (I don't believe in things like Santa Claus, Easter Bunny, Tooth Fairy, or magical mythical "modern" 9x19mm Super Man ammo. :))

Last edited: Aug 16, 2019 at 8:55 AM
  18. peterk

peterk

if you have any intentions of competing in GSSF, the G30 offers more options than the 36. i have a Gen 4 G30 that shoots very well for me.

19. Judgemax

Judgemax

Mike-M
    Please believe me when I say I have no interest in reviving old threads and I don’t know how This one came to my attention. Maybe a google search? But I thought it might help someone looking for a small Glock .45 to know about a couple good ones that weren’t previously mentioned and that I hadn’t read about recently.
    You’ve certainly been around here long enough to know the history but it caught your attention too. I’m also sure your perspective on these .45s would be beneficial for anyone coming to GT for advice.
    Take care...

Last edited: Aug 16, 2019 at 10:56 AM
  20. reniram

reniram

I have both. My answer is 30.

Bigpoppie50 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.