close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glock 30 or 36?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Shotojon, Feb 7, 2004.

1. Shotojon

Shotojon

I'm a cop, who while on-duty carries a G19 and G26 as backup. (No choice in service weapon.) I own a Colt 1911, and because I've been shooting my Glocks for so long, when I find myself at the range with my 1911, I end up with all sorts of problems because I expect ALL handguns to function and perform like my Glocks. Anyway, I love my Glocks and I love the .45 round (I'm a big fan of the 'big hole' theory), and have been considering getting a Glock in .45, so...

At my local gun store, where a friend works, there is a barely used G30 (still has original copper lube in the slide), that he said I could have for $400, (or $475 new, law enforcement price) OR get a G36 for about $475 (L.E. price).

Besides the extra rounds, which would you choose, and why? I'm hearing about problems with the G36.

2. Harlequin

Harlequin I need a weapon

Around these parts, G30=best Glock made. Accurate, reliable, easy to find parts for. Four more shots with only a tiny increase in width. And you're practically stealing it at $400.

3. Eins36

Eins36 World Citizen

This may be an interesting thread for you about how good is the G36.

I'm now very happy with my G36 after some teething problems--but they were more of general teething problems (I was totally new to guns).

As for the width advantage, check out my bottom signature ;f

4. Gunboat1

Gunboat1 A.F.A.M.

$400.00?! Don't walk, run and grab that 30 today! That's a very good price for the best Glock made. If you plan to shoot it at all (rather than just carry it a lot) and if you have normal to large hands, you will like it. If convenience and comfort are your prime considerations, or if you have very small hands, you might (and I stress "might") like the 36 better. It's your money, but for me, you can't go wrong with the 30. :)

5. CCV

CCV Millennium Member

Buy the G30...............don't look back.

6. 132

That's a flat steal for $400. Buy it and somewhere down the road maybe you can pick up a G36.

7. gunsite

gunsite CLM

my 36 is a great IWB weapon. G36,G29, and a colt 1911..done

8. Belle

Belle

I had the same choice to make, G30 versus G36. I got he G36 because it feels better in my hand. I've put about 500 rounds through it with no malfunctions.

9. RKC2000

RKC2000 OFOPOS

I don't have small hands at all (ask my wife) and my G36 is extremely comfortable in my hands. I have been very pleased with it.

But - if you can pick up a G30 for $400 - that's a great deal. If you are using this as your LE BUG, I would recommend the 10 rounds of the 30 vs. the 6 rounds of the 36.

10. scott mcdonald

scott mcdonald DAWGSM G-19

I LOVE MY G-30 I HAVE A G-20 AND IAM GOING TO ADD A G-21
    TO GO ALONG WITH THEM.FOR $400.00 I BUY IT FOR THE PRICE
    I ADDED NIGHT SIGHTS EXTENDED SLIDE RELASE AND EXTENDED
    SLIDE LOCK LEVER IF I HAD TO SELL ALL MY GUNS I WOULD KEEP THE
    G-30. ALSO YOU CAN BUY G-21 MAGS TO GIVE YOU A LONGER GRIP IF YOU WANT.BUT YOU NEED BUY A SPACER THAT FITS ON THE MAGS TO MAKE UP
    FOR THE LONGER G-21 MAGS YOU WONT BE DESAPONTED WITH THE G-30 ;+ ;S ^5

G-30 ROCKS

11. Shotojon

Shotojon

The G30/G36 won't be a back-up gun since we are restricted to what we can carry on-duty, but it would be for off-duty carry. One advantage to the G36 over the G30, right away, is that I wouldn't have to get any new holsters, since the G36 would fit in all of my G19/G26 holsters (except for a little room). I held both of them and they both feel a little uncomfortable in the hand righ where the bottom of the rear of the handle sits in the swell of my palm, and I realized what it was. On my G26, I have a rubber slip-on which is a little more comfortable than the checkering on the backstrap. I'll have to find a store that has both in-stock and check them n my hand at the same time.

I'm always interested in the extra rounds, but how important is it if it jeopardizes concealed carry when off-duty? But then again, if I feel that I'm going to need to carry off-duty, maybe I'm better off sacrificing the physical comfort for the psychological comfort that the extra ammo provides. Lately, whenever I travel into or through NYC I carry an extra mag for my G26, but eleven rounds of 9mm is different from eleven rounds of .45. I don't think I'd bother with the extra mag.

12. TedG

TedG Infidel USA

I owned a G30 and used it at Andy Stafford's Surgical Speed Shooting class. That was 1000 rounds in 2 days. I got to know the G30 well. People talk about small hands having a problem with the G30, but overly large hands are just as much of a problem. My right hand actually bled.

I got rid of the 30, even though it functioned flawlessley. I now have a G36 for all the good reasons stated in previous posts.

BUT.... in your case. I'd buy the G30 for $400. The $75 you save over the G36 should be well spent on a half-case of hard ball for practice. Like someone else said.... get the G36 later.

Good luck, in either case, you've chosen a quality weapon. :)

13. KNEESINTHEBREEZ

KNEESINTHEBREEZ Got Silk?

14. RattlerXX

RattlerXX 1911 Texan

G-30 all the way. I am also a 1911 freak, but since I have purchased my 30 it has been my EDC. Sounds like a steal for $400.;c

15. Trapper43

Trapper43

The Glock 30 and 36 will require a different holster than your Glock 19/26. I have holsters for a Glock 17 and 27 and the Glock 30 and 36 won't fit due to the larger slide.

16. TNRonin

TNRonin Happy g21/g19 /g43 owner! Millennium Member

The G36 will indeed fit into a G19 holster, period. It will fit in the G26 holster provided the muzzle end is open. But that is the same story as trying to put the G19 into the G26 holster. Hope this dispells any erroneous statements.

17. Shotojon

Shotojon

I picked up the G30 a few days ago. I can't wait to go to the range. maybe today. Thanks to all for your help. I guess I'll have to pick up a couple of new holsters.

18. Shotojon

Shotojon

I picked up the G30 a few days ago. I can't wait to go to the range. maybe today. Thanks to all for your help. I guess I'll have to pick up a couple of new holsters.

19. vafish

vafish

In a year of use, (including training classes, practice, and shooting IPSC matches) My G36 has never had a malfunction.

I think the G36 fits my hand better. I shoot it well.

But for that price on a like new G30 I think I'd have to pick it up.

The big advantage to the G36 is you could probably use the same holsters as your G19 and/or G26. (I say probably because there are very slight differences in size between the G19 and G36. I have both and have one Safariland Paddle holster for the G19 that the G36 just doesn't seem to fit into.) The other advantage to it is that the grip is smaller and it may fit your hand better. But the grip is different than the G19 grip, it is narrower and longer, and the overall cricumference of the grip is slightly smaller than the G19. For me the G36 feels better to my right hand, and the G19 feels better in the left. (Yes I have thought about getting a left handed holster and just carrying both)

Best advice is to try and find one of each and take the both to the range on the same day and try them out, see which one strikes your fancy.

20. axel

axel Nov. 11, 1918

I have a 30 with a FIST Kydex Tuckable IWB and I can't see myself carrying any other. I'd go with the 30.