close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glock 30 Ignorance

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by obxemt, Jan 11, 2004.

1. obxemt

obxemt Chaplain of CT

I want a .45 again. I think.

I was issued a G-21 that I really liked despite my small hands. High-capacity .45 can't go wrong, right? Well, the next day after shooting my 21, I would get terrible pain in my right hand which would radiate down to my elbow. Got with some firearms instructors, none saw anything wrong with my technique. Went to a diffrent agency two years later, no more G-21.

A friend wanted to make a trade, his new G-21C for my S&W 3913 and some cash. I went for it, missing the huge frame. Turned up on the recall list, traded out frames with Glock and never shot that 21, traded it on a G-32.

Full-size Glocks and I don't particularly get along... they don't feel like they have a natual point of aim to me (an uncomfortable grip angle). I have to bring the barrel "down" onto target instead of just point shooting like I do with HK, small-frame Glocks, Sigs, etc.

How many rounds does the G-30 hold? Is it a cut-down G-21 frame? If I did not like the G-21 would I like the G-30? No one around here has one!

Thinking about a 29 or 30, 36, 37... So many guns, so little cash...

2. Glock_Nor_Cal

Glock_Nor_Cal

I had exactly your problem. I had a 17, loved the glock design, but i hated the grip angle. it forced me to angle my wrist down to get on target and didnt feel natural at all. I just bought a G30 and it fits my hand great. The meaty part of your hand goes off the back and under the grip giving me a much more natural feeling on the gun.

3. Harlequin

Harlequin I need a weapon

A G30 holds 10 rounds. A 36 holds 6 and is quite a bit snappier than the 30. Plenty of people will chime in and rave about how nice the 30 is. Just wait...

4. obxemt

obxemt Chaplain of CT

Recoil is not a problem... I just wish I could find a G-30 locally so I could see for myself. Don't want to make a $500 mistake.

5. Edmond

Edmond Terminator

I absolutely love my G30. I shot it against a G27 and they're quite similar. I was expecting much more recoil from the 30 but that wasn't really the case. IMO, the 27 is kind of close to the 30 so if you can find a 27 to shoot, try it out and that comes very close to the 30. But that's just my opinion.

6. obxemt

obxemt Chaplain of CT

I have a G-33, same size... are you referring to dimensions or recoil?

7. MrMurphy

MrMurphy ********* Moderator Lifetime Member Millennium Member

I have small hands, and I have the same problem. Full Size Glocks and I don't get along, especially the 21. I can shoot the 22 and 17 ok, but not as well as the 19 and 23. I gave the 30 a try when it came out and fell in love (it's my daily carry gun, has been for 3 years). It's a shortened-grip 21, and shorter barrel. 10+1 capacity, very accurate and comfortable to shoot.

If you didn't like the 21, you will like the 30. :)

8. lwt210

lwt210

The 19 and 23 that I have fit my hand better but that 30 is a great .45.

9. Colubrid

Colubrid

I have tried both and I prefer the G36 because its easier to carry. Ya it snaps a little more but in a gunfight I won't notice it.

I have a 1911 for shooting fun so why would anyone choose a 30?

Now if I had to choose ONE gun a G30 would fit the bill perfectly. But every gun I have has a purpose and the G36 fits my hand better (I am only 5'8) and it conceals better. I don't like the brick size G30.

For carry a G36.

10. Edmond

Edmond Terminator

The 36 is definitely on my list of Glocks to get. I'm also considering the 26 because I would like some kind of diversity with a 9mm.

I have small hands myself but I don't have a problem with the thickness on the 30.

11. geek

geek

I have a 21, and am getting a 30 on Friday. My wife has small hands (she loves the S&W J frame), but she can fire the 30 while she can't really comfortably fire the 21. The 36 has significantly more recoil than the 30, personally I find the 30 to be not that much different than the 21 in recoil. It is, after all, a .45!

But if the grip size is an issue, one thing I plan to try is the grip reduction <a href-="http://www.burnscustom.com/index.html">Dane Burns<a/> does (click on the first entry under "Options" in the left hand frame) is a grip reduction. There are more <a href="http://www.burnscustom.com/showgallery.php3?galType=Glock"> pictures</a> of his Glock grip work.

12. SnooseGoose

SnooseGoose DIAF

13. obxemt

obxemt Chaplain of CT

OK, I think I have ruled out the 36 because of low capacity. It sure does feel great, but I am not comfortable with 6 rounds.

The 37 still is unproven, and probably bigger than I want for concealed carry since I am used to smaller weapons.

So, that leaves me to decide between the 29 and 30...

14. scott mcdonald

scott mcdonald DAWGSM G-19

i have a g20 10mm love this gun i also thought about getting a g29
    but got a g30 instead added night sights extended slide release and
    extended take down leaver.since they just past the ccw were i live
    so for my use the g-30 is a great gun i also bought two g-21 mags
    and added a spacer.gives you a little mor grip the stock mags work
    good also.for a small 45 the recoil is not bad at all to me it seems
    to have less then my 1911.;a ^5 ^5 ~2

15. Voodoochild

Voodoochild

I own the 30 and the 29. Had been carrying the 30 for awhile but I thought the 29 would be an improvement. I like the math of the 10mm.

Right off the bat I had problems with the 29's reliability. Namely the infamous Failure To Eject problem. Even after sending it back to Glock I couldn't get it to be reliable until I "kitchensmithed" with a cure discovered in the 10 ring awhile back. All the time I was struggling with the 29 the 30 NEVER failed. Not once.

Taking both guns out and shooting them back to back, I always get better results with the 30. Don't get me wrong, I like to shoot both guns. The 29 makes me smile because of its power and the sound. The 30 makes me smile because it makes me look like one hell of a shot. I finally gave up on the idea of carrying the 29 and relegated it to "fungun" status.

Hope this Helps.

16. Edmond

Edmond Terminator

when in doubt, go with the 30 because it's proved itself so many times. If you like a .40 cal, go with the 27. The FBI must issue the 27 because it's one good pistol.