Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking of getting a G30 for CCW. I have been carrying a G27 since 2001 and I want a . 45. What is the difference between the G30 and the G30 SF ? Which is closer in size for IWB carry to my G27? Thanks for your answers. :supergrin:

·
just me
8,179 Posts
go to the gun shop and try them out !!!!!!!! only you can tell :wavey:

·
Da Da
7,197 Posts
One has a Slim Frame (SF)

One does not.

Looking at them the are identical in size. (But they use different mags)

·
20,408 Posts
Closest in size is a G39, chambered in .45GAP--same frame, slightly wider slide.:cool:

·
Registered
293 Posts
I have both, and you really can't tell much difference. You can reach the trigger a little easier with the SF if you have smaller hands or short fingers. Just to clear it up it is NOT a slim frame. I even had a guy working at the gun shop argue with me that the SF stands for "slim frame" SF stands for "short frame" They shortened it a little but hardly noticeable. Glock didn't make the frame any slimmer. The only 45 Glock makes that you might call a "slim frame" is the model 36 with the single stack mag.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
I have both, and you really can't tell much difference. You can reach the trigger a little easier with the SF if you have smaller hands or short fingers. Just to clear it up it is NOT a slim frame. I even had a guy working at the gun shop argue with me that the SF stands for "slim frame" SF stands for "short frame" They shortened it a little but hardly noticeable. Glock didn't make the frame any slimmer. The only 45 Glock makes that you might call a "slim frame" is the model 36 with the single stack mag.
I think it would have been more accurate to say that YOU can't tell much of a difference. Please don't speak for all of us. I handled both the G30 and the G30sf (short frame, slim frame, who cares they're just words but yes, SF stands for short frame) and I immediatley noticed a difference as have many other shooters. For many with short hands the difference in girth is particularly apparent though if you check the numerical specs it's minimal. I went with the G30sf.

On these gun boards we see far too many "we's" and not enough "I's."

·
Registered
138 Posts
I think it would have been more accurate to say that YOU can't tell much of a difference. Please don't speak for all of us. I handled both the G30 and the G30sf (short frame, slim frame, who cares they're just words but yes, SF stands for short frame) and I immediatley noticed a difference as have many other shooters. For many particularly those with short hands the difference in girth is immediately apparent though if you check the numerical specs it's minimal. I went with the G30sf.

On these gun boards we see far too many "we's" and not enough "I's."
we all phrase words different, i dont think he was speaking for all of us.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Ok "I" can't tell much of a difference that better? I think most of the people here know what I was talking about. Short Frame, Slim Frame are only words? I don't think so bud, not if you think you are going to get a G-30 with a "slim frame" so those words do make a big difference. I don't clam to be a gun expert but I will try to help someone when I can.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Thinking of getting a G30 for CCW. I have been carrying a G27 since 2001 and I want a . 45. What is the difference between the G30 and the G30 SF ? Which is closer in size for IWB carry to my G27? Thanks for your answers. :supergrin:
i have the 30 sf and love it , now i am sucking up to the wife so i can buy a g36 and swap slides.

·
Banned
2,598 Posts
About ten to fifteen threads a week, I'd say.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Ok "I" can't tell much of a difference that better? I think most of the people here know what I was talking about. Short Frame, Slim Frame are only words? I don't think so bud, not if you think you are going to get a G-30 with a "slim frame" so those words do make a big difference. I don't clam to be a gun expert but I will try to help someone when I can.

LOL. Sorry if I sounded testy. I guess I was a little cranky last night. My point is that I would hate for someone to forego trying out the G30sf if the prevailing view is that there is no difference in feel between the G30sf and the standard G30. For me (emphasis on "me fair is fair after all :)) there really is a difference in feel if not supported by measurement. And it was immediately apparent when I compared both guns at the shop - there was no, "let me try the other one again" back and forth. "Short frame" "slim frame", I wouldn't get on the poor guy's case. Semantics in the end. You need to handle both and see if there is a difference. That should be the determining factor not what it is called.

Bottom line, the G30sf is still a fat gun and doesn't offer the benefit of interchangeable backstraps. No, it doesn't feel as good as an HK45 compact or a typical 1911 but it is less expensive and a step in the right direction for Glock. 'An accurate shooter, plenty of firepower, and a stellar rep for relilability. Currently, I think it is one of Glock's best.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts