close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glock 30 and Thunder Ranch

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by AWMP, May 1, 2003.

1. AWMP

AWMP

PCSing back to the states and planning on going to Thunder Ranch later this year. Trying to decide if I can handle putting over 1,000 rounds of 45acp down range in 3 days or should I just take my Berreta 9mm?
    Any input welcome. thanks

2. Alogusz

Alogusz

Take both, just incase you need a back up.

3. davesglock30

davesglock30

unless your trigger finger has a huge callous(sp?) on it then the only word of advice i'd give is get the G21 smooth trigger. the serrated target trigger on the 30 chews my finger up after about 150 rounds or so. but other than that you should be fine.:)

4. Thylacine

Thylacine

I second that 100%. I launched about 50 rounds in a very short time the other day and noticed a distinct discomfort quickly. I have never noticed that feeling from the smooth trigger on my 17 after many hundreds of rounds.

Whatever you decide, good luck.

5. AWMP

AWMP

Calling glock next week to see if I can get a glock 21 trigger for my glock 30, after a few boxes my index finger does not like the grooves on the trigger.
    Hoping shooting over 2,000 rounds at Thunder Ranch in 3 days will be easier with the smooth trigger from the glock 21.
    Forrest

6. Polo

Polo Brave Babushka Millennium Member

AWMP,
    FWIW I swapped stock 5# connector for a 3.5# and a smooth trigger on my stock G30 and noticed enhanced 'shootability' after the changeover. Although I can't scientifically quantify it, it is now easier to shoot single ragged-hole groups.

If you're so inclined, you will save money and time by purchasing the parts and installing them yourself. Speaking from experience, it is easy, very easy to do.
    www.Glockmeister.com sells the parts AND gives clear instructions on installation, all online!

7. AWMP

AWMP

Thanks for the heads up, I will be calling GlockMeister on Monday. Why do you think the 3.5 connector cost six times as much as the 5 lb? Is there that much difference?
    Just my 2 cents, but making the connector lighter may not be the best idea for me. This is going to be my carry pistol and God forbid if I ever have to use it, I don't want some lawyer explaining to my "peers" why I made a pistol more dangerous to the community. I know it sounds stupid, by in the Military Police world we call it the "60 minutes test". (your .2 second decision is reviewed for weeks, months and sometimes even longer) Thanks again for the info, the smooth trigger will be on order next week.
    I have been to other schools (military) and fired the berreta for thousands of rounds, but firing the Glock 30 for over 2,000 rounds in three days has me checking to make sure I have all the bases covered for comfort, I hope the smooth trigger will do the trick. Take Care
    Forrest
    "I'm not as dumb as I look, but I am not as smart as I should be".

8. Polo

Polo Brave Babushka Millennium Member

Glock won't sell you the 3.5# connector unless you're an armorer or LEO, etc.
    Since Glock won't, other companies import the same Glock connector to offer it to you. Consequently, because of this addition to the supply chain,
    the price goes up---dramatically. Just like everything else.

Installing a 3.5# connector isa personal decision to make, and
    you have made yours. You have to go with what you feel comfortable.

Have fun on your big shoot @ T.R.!

9. turbonatr

turbonatr Senior Member Millennium Member

When we have enough ammo on hand, my friend Bill and I usually put that many rounds through one gun in ONE day. Not talking 9mms here, either. .40s, .45s and 10mms. The only pistol I have that I WON'T put 1000 rounds through in one sitting is my .50AE Desert Eagle...for obvious reasons.;)

With a proper grip on the gun, you won't have a problem. Lock your wrists but DO NOT put a death grip on the gun. A death grip will definately fatigue your hands quickly.

10. Short Cut

Short Cut PatrioticMember CLM

While we're on the subject of smooth, check the underside of your trigger guard where your strong hand ring finger rests. There is a mold line there. Make sure that is smooth too. Sometimes Glocks will have a little ridge there that normally would go unnoticed but if you are doing a lot of holster work and shooting even a tiny ridge will develop a blister. If your G30 has the ridge, mine did, then just use a little sandpaper wrapped around a dowel or even a .45 cartridge to sand it smooth.

When I took one of Gabe Suarez's classes, not too long ago, I fired about 750 rounds in two days in my G30 and it performed flawlessly.