Glock 30 ammo query

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by sailor, Jan 5, 2010.

1. sailor

sailor

How do you like that word? Query. Ok, I loaded up a batch of ammo for my S&W 625 and if memory serves me correctly it was 230 gr bullet with 3.9 gr of Clays underneath. If I ever find me a Glock 30 will this load function in the Glock? All my Glocks currently are 9mm and the 45 will be new to me. Thanks for any suggestions for a good workable load for GSSF shooting the 30.

2. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

You might want to ask this question in the RELOADING forum as well... lots of knowledgeable guys over there..

3. sailor

sailor

Thanks for the thought. Will do.

4. Norske

Norske Millennium Member

Do you have any idea what velocity you are getting with that load?

If it is at least 830 fps, (standard "hardball" velocity) it should work fine.

If not, in my experience .45 autos MAY still function reliably with low velocity loads using big fat bullets like the 230.

Back in my Bowling Pin days (70's-80's) I would load 255gr LFN bullets intended for .45 "Long" Colt in .45 ACP with, if memory serves, 4 grains of Bullseye.

Slow and dirty, but it worked in my 1911's. That flat point really "bit" into the wood and moved Bowling Pins a treat!

:supergrin:

5. mteagle1

mteagle1

Like you my tests were in a S&W 625 and 4.0 @1.250 was averaging 715FPS so I don't know if that will cycle the slide in a G30. I would test it in mine but it's -5 and 8" of snow.

6. ede

ede Bama's Friend

my G30 runs 100% on a load so light the brass has a hard time getting out of the port. i did have some issues shooting the light load in cold weather so added 1/10 grain more powder to the load last time i was running .45.

7. cookselk

cookselk

My current favorite load uses a Nosler 185 gr. JHP loaded to 795 fps using, ready for this......Unique. This load is very accurate (2.5" @ 25 yards with 8/10:wow: into 1.5") in my pistol but it does have a bit of a spread in velocity. Not sure if it is because of Unique's poor measure metering characteristics or burn characteristics. Bottom line is that it shoots very well.

I had a load that was slightly lighter using 231, and even more fun to shoot but every so often the empties would eject and spin on top of the slide which really annoyed me:steamed:. The Unique load provides adequate ejection. Experimentation is half the fun in reloading--enjoy.