close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glock 29SF Rounds Escaping the Magazine

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by G29SFWTF, Aug 4, 2012.

1. G29SFWTF

G29SFWTF

I bought a glock 29SF used recently as my second Glock. First was a G19 Gen4. When I insert a mag into the 29 the top round slips past the tapered end and can cause failure to feed. I have four 15 round and two 10 round and it happens on every mag.

I went back to the G19 and I can not make this problem happen with that gun.

This is my first 10mm. I registered here just a few days ago to ask if any other G29 owners see this.

Here is a video of me demonstrating the issue, sorry not great quality:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4xqRhkFmYI"]MINI0015 - YouTube[/ame]

The harder I insert the more likely it is to happen and the more rounds loaded increases the chances also. You can see I am inserting hard to try to force the issue for the video. But I should not have to baby the mag in regardless. Appreciate any feedback.

2. SPIN2010

SPIN2010 Searching ...

Looks to me to be a few variables there, such as refinished slide, age of the mags/follower type (#x), and polished barrel ... maybe even one more (are those reloads?)

Time to start sorting it out. I would get a new mag (w/current follower) and go from there.

3. SJ 40

SJ 40 Deplorable,Clinger

My suggestion would be to insert magazines normally instead of slapping it home,the amount of force you are applying I'm surprised that the slide isn't following it into battery.
    SJ 40

4. lyodbraun

lyodbraun

Have you had your magazines apart ??? could be a spring issues within the mag ?? I also agree to try not to hit it so hard to seat the mag into the gun...

5. G29SFWTF

G29SFWTF

Yes the slide is NIBX coated but I can't see how that affects the magazines not retaining the bullets in insertion. I can take the slide off completely and insert a mag and the same thing happens.

I can get a new mag but as mags age the springs get weaker not stronger so I don't see how age is causing it. For all my mags the plastic follower has a 2 imprinted on it but I don't know that that means.

Edit: the rounds are factory loads.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2012
  6. G29SFWTF

G29SFWTF

Have not taken them apart yet but if the issue is present in all six magazines I didn't think all of them could have gone bad.

Even when I apply normal pressure on inserting, the round still escapes somewhat compared to how it should be seated. But still what if I'm in a defense situation with adrenaline flowing and muscles tense. I just don't think I should have to baby the mag in.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2012
  7. SJ 40

SJ 40 Deplorable,Clinger

This is from Glock current armors list.
    P 03948
    Magazine Follower - 10mm (all) - current follower is marked 10 & 2

According to that you have the current #2 follower. SJ 40

8. NCHeel

NCHeel

In a defensive situation I don't think you would want to turn your gun sideways, insert a mag half way then slam it home like you are slapping someone. Newton's First Law of Motion is at work here. With the higher angle that the 10mm round sits at in the mag the act of slapping the mag allows the round to move when the mag forcefully seats and the rounds momentum allows it to slide forward on the feed lips. Using the slide lock lever as a slide release and an aftermarket recoil spring assembly may also contribute to the failure to feed.

Try inserting the mag fully into the mag well then give it a good whack. Next slingshot the slide so there is more force to chamber the round.

9. G29SFWTF

G29SFWTF

Maybe not but anything could happen. In an emergency it's not about what you want but what you need to react to. Maybe it's dark or I'm lying on the ground in pain or a thousand other things.

The angle that it sits in the mag looks the same as 9mm to me but I don't know the offical specs. The First Law of Motion is exactly right though, I was thinking the same thing. 10mm rounds are heavier so the momentum pushes the 10mm stack up harder than a stack of 9mm. And most of the weight of a round is at the nose of course. Another contributing factor is the length. 10mm is the longest production auto round that I know of, it's about 10% longer than 9mm. Yet the feed lips on the mag are the same length on both calibers (about 5/8 inches). This doesn't make sense to me. If the round is longer (and heavier), why is the lip not longer also?

Furthermore looking at the back of the feed lip, the G29 mag has a wide opening that does not contain the rim of the bullet like the G19 mag does. So the on the G29 the back of the feed lip does not contribute to retention much if at all.

I tried this and many variations. If I insert it hard enough to cause the escaping round issue, I have the failure to feed regardless of how the round gets chambered.

I guess my question is, why can't Glock make the 10mm mag the same as the 9mm mag?

-feed lip length proportional to the length of the round and one that takes the weight of the cartridge into consideration.

-closed design at the back of mag at the feed lip

10. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

The feed lips may be out of spec from someone trying to overload the mags. The aftermarket mag bases may be a contributing factor. Buy one new magazine and give it a try.

11. dpadams6

dpadams6

10mm mag lips don't appear to hold as much of the cartridge surface as other calibers. Ive seen cartridges in the 10mm mags that appear angled up more. Lips do seem to be too short for the length of the 10mm cartridge.

12. Arc Angel

Arc Angel Deus Vult!

Look at the cartridges; they're sticking up out of the magazine at much too sharp an angle. Neither are they held tightly in place. If the followers are right, then the springs are wrong. I don't know, 'How' or, 'Why' but they have to be wrong.

http://www.gunsprings.com/index.cfm?page=items&cID=1&mID=5

13. Gokyo

Gokyo

the cartridges in my mags do not sit up quite as high as the once in the mag on the right. It almost looks like the mag is from a 45 acp.

You might have said this but did you try buying a new mag? I just tried to recreate the situation shown in your video and there is no way it will happen with my mags.

You might consider sending the mags to glock to be inspected and replaced.

QUestion:

Could you use a micrometer to measure the width between the metal lips at the front of the mag and at the back of the mag and then report your findings?

Last edited: Aug 6, 2012
  14. attrapereves

attrapereves

Last edited: Aug 6, 2012
  15. AKRover

AKRover 10MM Fanatic

I've got 4 15 round mags for my Glock 20 and never had the issue you're describing. I always slap the bottom of the mag to make sure it's seated but never had the top round come out of the magazine like this.

I'd find a gun shop that will let you try a new magazine to see if you still have the same issue. I'd hate to spend the money on new mags to find out that wasn't the cause of the problem.

Did you buy the gun used? It could be that the previous owner tried to modify the mags to feed 45ACP although I can't imagine why someone would.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

16. fordemti

fordemti SC Medic

The first thing I thought was, "what did that magazine do to this guy to make him so angry?" I feel sorry for your gun. You're a violent man!!! Lol. A bit easier slick.

17. SARDG

SARDG

Ever shoot IDPA or USPSA? Things happen quickly.

18. G29SFWTF

G29SFWTF

Yes I bought the gun used. The 15 rd mags are marked "RESTRICTED LE/GOVT ONLY" so they are probably somewhat old. The 15 rd have 9.13.94 stamped on the back. I know that's the date of the ban but not sure why it's there. The FT Feed jams are worse with the 15 rounders. I don't have a micrometer to measure the feed lip distances.

My 10 rd mags have a 1 on the back and 2 on the follower. SJ40 thanks for the info on the followers.

attrapereves - Thanks for the link to your thread. All my mags have the open style on the back (like the one on the left in your pic). I think this contributes to the problem. I want mags like the one on the right, that is how my G19 mags are and it's a fairly new Gen4.

AKRover you say you don't see the issue with your mags, would you mind looking at attrapereves thread and tell me which style you have? I'm going to post a question there now.

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/show....php?t=1410553

19. attrapereves

attrapereves

I may have said this in my thread on the mag styles, but in my case, the angle of the cartridge is much steeper with the style on the left. I have four Glock 20 mags and all of them look like the style on the right.

20. scosgt

scosgt

OK, looking in the wrong direction!
    One of two things is happening:
    1. The rounds are not feeding into the extractor properly. Take the slide apart, make sure you have the proper spring loaded bearing in place for your extractor (you can tell by the color). On slides that have been taken down for finish application, the wrong SLB could have been installed, or there could be an issue with the extractor claw itself. Look at it under a glass, and make sure the channel and holes are clean and free of burnt powder.
    2. The rounds could be hitting the ejector on the way up. You are slamming it hard enough for the ejector to move the round. Make sure you have the right ejector and it is seated properly.

This is not a magazine issue. It is either the ejector or extractor being out of spec, broken, or not installed properly. If it does it with the slide off, it is the ejector, that is the only thing in there which could touch a cartridge and move it forward.