Glock 29 vs Glock 20

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by undercover500, Jan 28, 2017.

1. undercover500

undercover500

Just signed up about 5 minutes ago so please forgive if this has been asked before.

I am looking to get either a Glock 29 or a Glock 20 for carrying while hiking, camping, etc. for protection against the 4 legged variety of predators.

I was originally thinking about getting the Glock 20 for open carry in the woods, and then getting the 29 later for CCW, but I'm not really interested in or comfortable with carrying openly, even in the woods. I have my CCW permit for a reason. I'm a bigger and taller guy, and probably could conceal a Glock 20, but I'm more concerned about weight and size rubbing against my pack (no hip belt though), especially when hiking many miles.

So I was thinking about getting the Glock 29, carrying with the Glock 29 mags, carrying IWB with a 4.60" barrel to get Glock 20 power out of the Glock 29. I want as close to full power as I can get.

Then for the range and general practicing, I'm thinking about getting the Glock 20 mags, and installing a mag sleeve to make the grip a full size grip, along with keeping the Glock 20 length barrel in the 29.

Do you think this a good one gun idea? Instead of getting the Glock 20 now and getting the 29 later, just getting the Glock 29, keeping the 29 mags and installing a 20 length barrel for IWB carry, and then using the Glock 20 mags with a sleeve for the range?

Does anyone know where I can find a 4.60" barrel for the Glock 29? I only know of Lone Wolf Barrels and I don't see that they have a 4.60" barrel for the Glock 29.

Thanks,
    Undercover500

Dave Elliott and Wastedgenius313 like this.
  2. jmohme

jmohme

I recently got a Glock 20 myself.

I have been carrying a G19 IWB but decided to give the 20 a try this weekend, so yesterday morning, I put the 19 away and slipped the 20 into a new IWB holster.
    I carried it comfortably all day yesterday and today. Walking, sitting, driving, working around the house. No issues at all.

I don't know if I will switch to carrying it full time or not, but it is nice to know that I have another alternative.

And welcome to Glock Talk

3. Desert man

Desert man

Hi undercover I'm pretty new as well but her goes- as far as I know the 4.6 inch glock 20 barrels will not fit the 29 because of different lug sizes. I have both the 20 and the 29 because I have a awesome wife and I couldn't decide either. The 29 goes with me like my left hand I carry it in a chest holster. The 20 is my home gun and wears night sights. As for the sleives I do have one but I don't use it- it feels loose whenever I hold it- instead I just stuff in a g20 mag and shoot away. You only loose about 100 fps from the short barrel from what I've fount on the internet.

refugeepj likes this.
  4. Mike-M

Mike-M

It's a fact, just as Desertman says, the OEM 4.6-inch G20 barrel will not fit a G29. No other OEM barrels exist for a G29.

OTOH, a G20 will accept the 6.0-inch OEM "hunting" barrel that Glock makes for it (part SP 07557). A G20 is only 0.8 inches longer than a G29, and a G40 is 1.4-inches longer than a G20.

Were it me, I'd go whole hog for a G40 if I were buying a 10mm Glock for outdoor use. Use of 10mm for CCW would not be my first choice. Instead, I would get a G33 in the most excellent .357SIG for CCW, which produces near the muzzle 1410 ft/s (552 ft-lbf) with real flat trajectory over any specific range when I use Underwood 125gr JHP. As a matter of fact, that's enough to be serviceable even out in the field.

Welcome to Glock Talk! :)

LS357, Taroman, nikolaz and 4 others like this.
  5. 1canvas

1canvas

If you set a 29 on top of a 20 you would be shocked at how little difference there is between them even though the 20 looks so much bigger. When I had the choice for a woods gun I chose the 20. In the woods I will be using hotter loads and the bigger grip, heavier slide, and longer sight radius will work much better. I carry it bowhunting with a shoulder holster. As for ccw there are much better choices, I agree it's hard to beat a 33.

6. Chordeiles

Chordeiles

If you don't mind my asking. What part of our fine nation are you going to be doing your hiking and camping in?

7. Pavia

Pavia

G29 will suit you well, but I'd recommend getting the Pearce extension for the 10rd mags so you have a better grip. I find the recoil between the G29 and the G33 to be similar, but the noise and blast is greater with the G33. Which is not necessarily a bad thing... if you're close enough you can not only shoot your attacker with a 357 Sig, but also blind them and set them on fire... :)

8. Desert man

Desert man

Just wondering why you wouldn't ccw a g29? The myth of over penetration has been debunked if you press the trigger you better hit what your aiming at. I'd wager that no one would be willing to stand on the opposite side of the bad guy were I shooting a 380 or a 10. I can load down or up depending on where I'm going and the situation.

9. todd_g

todd_g

I had a 29sf and still have my 20sf. I tried IWB my 29 but found it to be uncomfortable. Also a hot load out of my 29 was painfull after a while, my 20 tames them pretty good. Look at the dimensions between the two, for you use I say just get the 20. My gen 3 G27 has been my everyday carry for the past 5 or so years.

Dave Elliott and krankase like this.
  10. undercover500

undercover500

Thanks all for the replies. This gun is for protection against animals while out on the trail, an over territorial dog, hog, black bear, etc. I just mean that I want to conceal this gun while out hiking, camping.

Is a Glock 20 a viable conceal carry pistol out in the woods for 4 legged predators? Or would I be better off carrying the Glock 29 with a longer barrel? Since the 29 and 20 are roughly the same size, do I just go with the 20 and get a good gun belt?

I was looking at the crossbreed super tuck for an IWB holster, is this a pretty decent holster?

11. Chordeiles

Chordeiles

If you don't mind spending the extra money for a longer barrel then get the 29. I've been kicking this same idea around for a couple of weeks myself. I think I'm going to go with the 29.....maybe.
    I think I'll just buy a 33 instead.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2017
  12. Borg Warner

Borg Warner

Lone Wolf does make a 4.6 extended barrel for the 29 but it is ported. However, porting has not been show to reduce velocity but it does increase muzzle blast.

Neither the 20 or the 29 is the best choice for comfortable IWB carry IMO. What is better, in my experience , is to carry the gun on the belt and wear a long safari-type vest over it, the type that a lot of photographers wear. The gun will not print, especially if you put something in the pocket on the strong side where it covers the gun.

I have a crossbreed super tuck for a Kel-tec PF9 and to be able to tuck a shirt around the gun and holster, the shirt MUST be size extra long. I no longer carry the Kel-tec because it cannot be made to extract spent cases reliably and is a jam-o-matic. I bought it before Glock came out with the 43. For woods carry I have a G20SF with a custom 5 inch barrel but for EDC I carry a number of different guns and will soon be getting a 40 caliber Shield. In the 20SF I carry the Buffalo bore hardcast 220 gr flatnose GC load for woods carry.

Lone wolf barrel: http://www.lonewolfdist.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=1010

[​IMG]

13. Taft93730

Taft93730

Most days I carry a G29SF OWB under a suit coat. Can't imagine going much bigger. When I sit in the car it kind of digs in my side, where my G26 doesn't. Much bigger and I think I would worry about printing more, too.

The 29 has plenty of power, using Underwood ammo.

I also have 4.6" and 6" barrels for it. That doesn't make it a 20, but closer, if I want to.

To me, the G29 is the ideal CCW considering power, size, and capacity.

14. G29guy06

G29guy06

It would defeat the purpose of a buying a G29 and then lengthen the barrel- if you could... That being said, I've carried a G29 for over a decade, both for work as well as concealed and when hiking... Stick w/ the 29 and buy the 15rd mags- you'll be good to go. Just upgrade the sights.

baddogdave, Dave Elliott and Tazz10m like this.
  15. undercover500

undercover500

The barrel I would use would be the Glock 20 stock length barrel, which is 4.60". They make 4.5-4.6" length barrels for the Glock 29. This would only extend maybe an inch past the end of the slide, and wouldn't hurt in concealability.

I guess my biggest caveat against OWB carry under a jacket or vest is that this will be primarily a hiking, camping gun, and I like to do a lot of hiking, doing a lot of wood working, processing when camping, etc. and I can't imagine wearing anything over a t-shirt in the warmer months, unless I'm going hiking during the colder months and I'm wearing a coat.

Should i get some sort of concealed carry backpack to carry? I know these exist, and I think it could solve my issue of concealment and making the gun easier to carry.

I was looking at some sling packs that have a compartment that rides against your back that allows for carry of what looks like a full size pistol. I actually have one of these packs laying around somewhere, I will have to break out one of my guns from the safe and test it out in the pack.

http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/Remora-Gearslinger-133p384.htm

16. G29guy06

G29guy06

have good cargo shorts and get a size 4 pocket holster...also, 511 BDU type and EMS pants have an internal divider in the cargo pockets that you can fit the pocket holster into also, the internal (mag) dividers keep it from banging around

baddogdave likes this.
  17. 1canvas

1canvas

I can easily carry my 20 in a CBST all day long with a 5 stitch 1 1/2" Wilderness Instructors Belt. At the gun store I wore my big Glock CBST and belt, tried it on and walked around the store, I was surprised how easy it carried.
    I went back and forth between the 20 and 29. I figured I would be shooting hotter Ammo so that's why I went with the 20.

Dave Elliott and undercover500 like this.
  18. Pavia

Pavia

Why is a G29 (1.27" width) bad for IWB carry when many people carry Sigs (P320: 1.4" width) and HKs (USP: 1.38" width) everyday in IWB holsters with no complaints?

Rockydevon, Tazz10m and Redhawk45 like this.
  19. DesertGlock20

DesertGlock20 Semper Vigilis

www.kkmprecision.com makes match grade barrels, including a 4.5" G29 barrel. Another option would be to get a KKM .40S&W, stock length (3.78") conversion barrel for concealed carry and range work by shooting cheaper ammo. Save the 10mm for the woods...

Rockydevon likes this.
  20. undercover500

undercover500

That's a good option, thanks. Do you have to do anything other than swap in a different barrel? Any different recoil spring, have to only use +p due to higher slide mass, different mag? Just swap in a different barrel? That'd be a great option for cheap practice, thanks

Rockydevon likes this.