Glock 29 vs 23 vs 27

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by fxstchewy, Jan 3, 2020.

1. Intolerant

Intolerant

Chewy...
    I have a G29-4, and it is an awesome 10mm gun. Its actually one of my more accurate glocks. I like the way it shoots, as the recoil is more of a push than a snap, compared to the 40S&W. The G29 (for what it is in size) is the easiest to carry out in the woods, for me. Lots of bears where i live as well as some mountain lions have been populating near us alot more lately. I dont feel undergunned at all with a G29. I run 180gr handloads in it, sends them to the target like its a laser. Even with my old eyes, i can still knock the 6in steels at 50yds out with it.

I also have a G30s, but that has the gen 3 frame, which i`ve never really been a fan of G3 frames since the G4 came out. So, to be able to carry a 45acp if i want to, without buying another gun, i just swap the slide and mags over, then i have a G30s gen 4. I use the 9-round G30 mags and a couple extra G30 10-rd with pearce bases for back-up mags when i want to carry a 45.

Whatever you decide, and it has to be your choice, i would seriously consider the G29-4. Its a solid shooter. And the ammo has been storming back onto shelves like crazy for the 10mm guns. A really good round they have available now, is the Federal HST`s in 10mm. I just bought some, they shoot real nice in my G29. The hardest ammo in my area to find is SIG357. And when i do see some on occasion here where i live, its very pricey. They arent fun to reload either...bottle neck cartridges. But i`m not trying to talk you out the SIG357, it just wouldn`t be my choice, if it were me.

Good luck with whatever you decide. Sometimes there are just to many choices...lol ;)

fxstchewy likes this.
  2. rlewpolar

rlewpolar

Very nice collection of RMRd carry guns. I favor these as well and carry a G29 and G19 both with RMRs.

Back to the topic at hand, I find the G29 very easy to carry. It is round, smooth and chunky, very reassuring on the belt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fxstchewy and davethehiker like this.

3. AWGD8

AWGD8 Sr. Glocker29SF

You would not believe me if I told you that with Vedder lightuck IWB holster with Glock29SF (loaded) feels less bulky than my Shield 9mm and 45 with the same holster when I carry AIWB. The reason is that the Glock has a narrower diameter from top of slide to lower trigger guard making the foot print smaller. 56A68877-2ED9-4A56-B268-BBE3D880CFDA.jpeg 2BCCF79F-82F6-466B-9E66-0305FE28B04A.jpeg

fxstchewy and Intolerant like this.
  4. mgs

mgs Always Carrying Millennium Member

Like my G20 but my G27 is more accurate. Also more accurate than my G23. Also find my G26 Gen5 amazingly accurate also. May still get a G29

5. davethehiker

davethehiker

You may be disappointed with the accuracy of the G29 when firing hot 10mm ammo. I found I had to replace the stock barrel that came with my G29 with a "KKM Precision" get a tight grouping. Knowledgeable people here on GT disagree with me, but I have proved to myself time and again that the barrel that came with my G29 was not able to provide accurate repeatable results. My theory is that hot 10mm ammo is unable to put enough spin on the bullets in the original Glock barrel. The KKM barrel improves it but the G20 is better yet.

fxstchewy likes this.
  6. JK-linux

JK-linux

One fires a real heavy caliber.
    One holds more ammo.
    One is really small and easy to carry.

Which is most important, only you can decide.

I'd go G29, but I love 10mm so I'm probably biased.

fxstchewy likes this.
  7. jmohme

jmohme

I have a G20.4 and have considered a G29 a few times, but I really just prefer full sized handguns.
    I have been carrying my G20 for 3 years and consider it to be the most versatile Glock made.
    I can load it light enough to avoid over penetration, or load it hot for when I am walking the fence lines or through the woods.
    I can even load it with 40 S&W without any modifications if I just want to poke holes in paper.

That is my point with the G20. One tool for multiple tasks.

As appealing as a smaller framed G29 seems on the surface, it is just too much of a compromise when I am perfectly comfortable carrying my G20 in a Sticky Holster IWB and making no compromises.

As I get older, I find that I have no intention of thinning my herd.
    I do have my G20 as primary carry with a G19 as backup and a NAA pocket pistol for when I need to be more discreet.
    That said, though, the toy box is full and in a week will be just a little more full. :)

Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
  8. 1canvas

1canvas

Your right, I won’t believe it. I have a Shield 9mm and a 30sf and Vedder holsters and those guns are not even close when I carry AIWB. The 30 is like a brick compared to the Shield.

9. AWGD8

AWGD8 Sr. Glocker29SF

I have more hot spot on the wider Shield vedder lightuck holster than my Glock 29SF vedder lightuck holster. The G29SF is a brick and thick, but the holster edges does not cause me hot spot or certain areas that digs against me.

10. newglocker10mm

newglocker10mm Texas Born & Bred

I have had a G29 but didn't care for it. That being said, I find myself carrying something in .40 about 90% of the time. I'm no big fan of DoubleTap, but they load a 200 grain .40 that showed really good expansion (around .70 caliber if I remember correctly) and around 21" penetration with the DoubleTap round using a Nosler HP. I would expect Underwood's load to perform similarly. I have nothing about the HST load's performance but I've heard good things about it.