Glock Talk banner

Glock 29 owners? Do you like?

2897 51
Thinking of buying one; just want a hand cannon without being as big as a desert eagle. I've always liked the idea of a 10mm auto. It seems like a lot of Firepower. Would like to here some owner testimonials? Would you consider recoil moderate, heavy, or abusive? Thanks.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
41 - 52 of 52 Posts

· On the day of your birth death began stalking you
10,784 Posts
Not a fan of the 29 but I do like the 20

· Values. Can't be bought.
16,196 Posts
After enjoying my 26, I upped the ante to a 29, then found out you have to look for full power 10mm ammo. I use it for bedroom and woods, with a Glock 20 mag and spacer.
Gun Firearm Grey Tan Trigger

· Registered
687 Posts
Thinking of buying one; just want a hand cannon without being as big as a desert eagle. I've always liked the idea of a 10mm auto. It seems like a lot of Firepower. Would like to here some owner testimonials? Would you consider recoil moderate, heavy, or abusive? Thanks.

Well, I have both the G20 and G29 and other than length and height, they are basically the same gun...well, they do use different barrels.

I've velocity tested both using Underwood ammo, and I remember the UW 155gr JHP from the G20 posting right at 800 lb-ft of energy, and the G29 posting 700 fpe. Now, say what one will about what the 155 gr JHP is ideally suited for, but whatever that is, from a G29 it will deliver the energy!

As for cost to shoot, yes 10mm ammo is more costly than non-magnum ammo, just as is the case with all other calibers, however the FBI in collaboration with S&W was nice enough to bring use the .40 S&W which feeds and functions absolutely perfectly from both G20 and G29 without even doing a barrel swap. Last time I bought .40 it was name-brand Remington 165 gr FMJ-TC rated to 484 lb-ft of KE...that's some pretty serious power for $16/box of 50.

Another thing about the G29 is that it can be "upsized" by simply installing a longer barrel and G20 magazine. So you have both a highly concealable 10mm that can also be used for open carry in the field if desired.

As for recoil, IMO recoil from the 10mm Glocks of both sizes is pretty mild even with Underwood ammo. I'd rate it no harder than that of a 9mm fired from an 18 ounce pistol, but probably less "snappy" feeling.

Reactions: Schirmer77

· Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Well, I have both the G20 and G29 and other than length and height, they are basically the same gun...well, they do use different barrels.

I've velocity tested both using Underwood ammo, and I remember the UW 155gr JHP from the G20 posting right at 800 lb-ft of energy, and the G29 posting 700 fpe. Now, say what one will about what the 155 gr JHP is ideally suited for, but whatever that is, from a G29 it will deliver the energy!

As for cost to shoot, yes 10mm ammo is more costly than non-magnum ammo, just as is the case with all other calibers, however the FBI in collaboration with S&W was nice enough to bring use the .40 S&W which feeds and functions absolutely perfectly from both G20 and G29 without even doing a barrel swap. Last time I bought .40 it was name-brand Remington 165 gr FMJ-TC rated to 484 lb-ft of KE...that's some pretty serious power for $16/box of 50.

Another thing about the G29 is that it can be "upsized" by simply installing a longer barrel and G20 magazine. So you have both a highly concealable 10mm that can also be used for open carry in the field if desired.

As for recoil, IMO recoil from the 10mm Glocks of both sizes is pretty mild even with Underwood ammo. I'd rate it no harder than that of a 9mm fired from an 18 ounce pistol, but probably less "snappy" feeling.
That's good info. I wouldn't want to get shot by either!!!

· Registered
329 Posts
I was looking for a lighter more compact handgun for carry to, from and on my hunting lease. I was carrying a S&W 629 6 inch stainless at the time. I bought a Gen 3 20 and 29. I shot them side by side with various loads over a chronograph. I then shot a number of common defense drills and finished up with accuracy testing out to 50 yards. I then carried them both to the lease. Here is what I learned:
Little velocity difference between the two guns;
The delta in practical accuracy between the two was inconsequential;
I could not comfortably carry the 20 concealed;
I was constantly bumping the longer grip frame of the 20 with my long gun;
When I carried the 20 in the field I still carried the 29 CHL.

I sold the 20 and have been carrying the 29 ever since. That was 15 years ago. I am 5'11" and 175 pounds and have no problem concealing the 29. I typically use Bladetech IWB or Glock Sportsman OWB holsters. I actually like the thickness of the standard 29 over the SF version. It fills my hand and helps me have that "locked in" feeling with my grip. The 29 is my constant companion when out hunting and hiking. I will not be parting with it anytime soon. YMMV.

· Registered
18,795 Posts
I was looking for a lighter more compact handgun for carry to, from and on my hunting lease. I was carrying a S&W 629 6 inch stainless at the time. I bought a Gen 3 20 and 29. I shot them side by side with various loads over a chronograph. I then shot a number of common defense drills and finished up with accuracy testing out to 50 yards. I then carried them both to the lease. Here is what I learned:
Little velocity difference between the two guns;
The delta in practical accuracy between the two was inconsequential;
I could not comfortably carry the 20 concealed;
I was constantly bumping the longer grip frame of the 20 with my long gun;
When I carried the 20 in the field I still carried the 29 CHL.

I sold the 20 and have been carrying the 29 ever since. That was 15 years ago. I am 5'11" and 175 pounds and have no problem concealing the 29. I typically use Bladetech IWB or Glock Sportsman OWB holsters. I actually like the thickness of the standard 29 over the SF version. It fills my hand and helps me have that "locked in" feeling with my grip. The 29 is my constant companion when out hunting and hiking. I will not be parting with it anytime soon. YMMV.
When chronographing my hottest loads, I found my stock G29 delivered about 50fps less than my stock G20. I like to use a 200gr WFNGC bullet at about 1200fps for my woods carry and that is a pretty stout load for my G29, but nothing nuclear, just hot. I probably carry my G29 90% of the time when out in the sticks.

On the hip, I use the Glock Sport holster 100% of the time, deal of the century.

· Registered
64 Posts
I’m agreement with the others who love the 29 for a woods carry gun. I take it when archery hunting pa and Ohio. Knowing that there’s 11 rounds of 180 grain xtp Underwoods at your side is a great feeling.

While walking out this past fall I had a group of coyotes following me in the goldenrod. I could hear something running around and couldn’t see it with my headlight. When I stopped to see what it was, they started barking/yipping like crazy. I in holstered the 29 and waited for one to make itself visible. Never did but the feeling of having it was oh so nice. Almost turned a dull night for deer into a great night coyote hunting.

Best

· Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
If you guys keep it up, you're going to have me buying a Glock 29 tomorrow. and I already bought a Glock 20.

I'm with ya though, having a Glock 10mm does give you a good feeling.

You never know what you might come up against. A Bengal tiger might have escaped from a zoo nearby. All this guy had is a stick.

· Registered
690 Posts
Got a 29SF. 220gr Buffalo Bore Hard Cast for hiking, it's a handful, but manageable, SD ammo Speer Gold Dot 200gr GDHP, Freedom Munitions and Remington UMC 180gr for the range. I could shoot both of them all day.

I run a Wolff guide rod and 21lb spring. It's cycles everything I shoot.

41 - 52 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.