close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glock 29 for Black Bear / Big game

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by coltm4a3, Jan 21, 2006.

1. coltm4a3

coltm4a3

I am thinking about purchasing a Glock 29 as I hike and mountain bike in a lot of remote areas and was wondering if the Glock 29 would suffice for defense against bear or other big critters who may want to attack. I know the 10mm is a proven round against black bear, but will I sacrifice velocity/energy with the short glock 29? I really don't want to carry a full size G20 or Magnum on my long hikes/rides.

Also, what is the best ammo to use with the Glock 29 for these purposes? My local gun dealer has Buffalo bore 200 Gr. in stock ($25 for 25 rounds, ouch) but I usually order my ammo from Midway anyways. Also, what would be a good plinking round, and a good practice round that will give me the same kind of recoil as the full load you recommend? I usually like to shoot a few boxes of any carry round before I bet my life on it anyways, but would like to have something a little cheaper to practice with if possible.

Here's the selection from Miday :

Midway USA 10mm ammo selection

I realize that Double tap is a favorite around here, if you recommend it please let me know where the best place to buy it is.

Thanks!

2. kn38ms

kn38ms Glockaholic

I would not use a G29 for these wimpy
    200# Florida bears. Maybe a G20. I would want a 44 mag
    for any bears anywhere.
    DT ammo is purchased online at doubletapammo.com

3. coltm4a3

coltm4a3

Thanks for your quick reply. For clarification I hike / mountain bike in North Carolina, West Virginia, and sometimes the Rocky Mountain region.

I'm not considering the 10mm for Florida use.

Are you serious that a Glock 29 wouldn't work against Florida bears ;g

4. kn38ms

kn38ms Glockaholic

Not all bears go down easy. I don't want to make em' mad.
    You sir have brass cahones if a 29 is your bear gun ;f
    Also the DT 500rd sample pack is a winner.

5. 10MMGary

10MMGary

A model 29 10MM can kill a FL black bear with no problems, if your hunting the bear. If the bear is hunting you(highly unlikely)your likely to take a very serious mauling before you kill the bear. The few blackies I have encountered in FL are very small(200 pounds maybe)and very skittish.
    However I have witnessed one of the same sized animals roll around a huge piece of a downed cypress tree like it were made of styrofoam and climb 60 foot up a slash pine in seconds. Myself and a friend who are both over 6' tall and go around 200-220 pounds couldn't even budge the same piece of cypress.
    I would not think of hunting one(I realize that neither are you)with a 10MM handgun. Blackies in the Carolinas generally are larger than their FL cousins. Now all that being said that 29 is way better than a stick and will most likely shorten the length of time your mauled. You best bear defense is common sense and lots of noise.(or always travel with a fat slow friend) :)
    Gary
    P.S. Still plenty of other reasons to buy the Glock. ;f

6. coltm4a3

coltm4a3

Well now I am totally confused!! I thought the Glock 29 10mm was pretty damn good and just a smidgen below the G20.

Take a look at the geltin thread below, where MCNETT talks about the DT 165 Gold Dot ammo penetrating FURTHER in the gelatin out of a G29 than out of a G20 (15" out of G29, 14.25" for G20), with a slight sacrifice in overall expansion (.84" to 1.02"). Check out the 5th post down by MCNETT :

10mm gelatin tests

I am not an expert on ballistics so why would you 10mm guys feel that much safer with a G20 over a G29? To me, it doesn't seem like much of a diameter difference and there is more penetration, which I think would be important when trying to stop a stalky bear similar animal.

And I guess my next question is this, if you don't feel comfortable hiking with the G29, what do you carry that is not as big as the G20? And it seems to me that if the G29 is not adequate to in the woods, neither would the G20 (unless you have the longslide)? According to the Glock website the G20's barrel is only .82" longer (4.6" vs 3.78"). I realize this does make a difference, but not a HUGE one.

Just trying to figure this out, thanks for all the help guys. I am trying to make a decision as my local dealer has a sweet G29 in stock right now (and a G20) :cool:

7. kn38ms

kn38ms Glockaholic

I own a 29. It IS my favorite pistol. Buy one. They rock!
    Would I use it for bear hunting as my only weapon?
    No. That being said the G29 is still my favorite pistol.
    When I'm in bear country, especially in MT, my choice
    for pistol is 44Mag with Doubletap beartooths.
    Big bears make me nervous. ;f

8. Boston_Irish

Boston_Irish

I purchased the G29 for the same reason... (although not the only reason) bears! I live in Mass and frequent both NH amd Maine. I am a wilderness counseling guide for high risk teens. In the last year we have had several "near misses" with some bold black bears. When I know bears are "in season" and very active I carry a ruger super blackhawk in .44mag with hardcast lead. I carry my G29 as a back up. Now I can already hear the hear people typing away with the "overkill" responses, but... I am responsible for OTHER peoples children. Having two pistols allows one of my other staff to also be armed while both pistols are concealed. The G29 fits perfectly into our coaxsher radio chest harneses (can be worn with a pack or riding a mt bike)pocket and is completely concealed while readily accessable. When bears are not an immediate threat, I only carry the g29. The super blackhawk is effective but HEAVY! The G29 with double tap or any other "hot load" makes me feel safe for the chance bear encounter or two legged threat. Having 5 magazines with 10 rounds each and 1 G20 high-cap brings a warm smile to my face! It is much better than a sharp stick. If you know for sure that bears are in the area and have been aggressive, go .44mag (or larger)or don't go.
    Again, I carry my G29 whenever in the woods. You can't go wrong.
    Good luck.

9. kpjustus

kpjustus

I carry a G29 in the woods for the same reason. The velocity difference between the G29 and the G20 is strictly related to the slightly shorter barrel and it isn't that significant. More important are shot placement, proper bullet selection, and high power loads like Doubletap. You would want bullets in the 200gr plus category, designed for deep penetration. There have been plenty of guys on this forum shooting hogs, bears, wild boar, etc that are the same class of animal as a black bear and they are quite dead with the 10MM.

Obviously, it is a trade off between convenience and fire power. A high power rifle would be much more effective, but a pain to carry. Likewise a shotgun loaded with slugs and buckshot. Next comes a 44 magnum or similar, and then something like a G29. I have a Ruger Redhawk, 44mag, with 7 1/2 barrel that I never carry hiking because it is just too heavy. I end up carrying the G29, with a 15 round magazine and grip extender, plus 2 more clips in a belt carrier. In my opinion, the extra capacity of the glock makes up for the lower power of 10mm. I also practice a lot more with the Glock, because it is more fun to shoot, so I am confident I can empty a magazine quickly, and with good shot placement on the glock.

Now, if we are talking grizzly bears instead of black bears, the tradeoff gets a little more difficult.

10. pocketgun

pocketgun

If there is any relatively concealable pistol that might help in a aggresive bear encounter, it must be the G29 (loaded with real 10mm ammo like DT). I own one and take it into the woods for that purpose, FWIW.

11. Ak.Hiker

Ak.Hiker

The Glock 10MM is very popular in Alaska for woods carry. The 200 grain Cor-Bon Penetrator or the Buffalo Bore 200 grain FMJ are top picks. The hot 200 grain FMJ or XTP from Double Tap would also be a good choice in the area's you hike in. The 10MM is a very good pick for hiking. I carry one when I want to go light. It is a very good round and has very good penetration with heavy FMJ bullets. Of course the 44 magnum has bigger bullets and more power. Than again so does a 454 or 480. I think for the area's you will be hiking in the 10MM would be a good choice. Now if you wanted to hunt black bears than move up to the 44 magnum or 454.

12. MCNETT

MCNETT Load Developer Lifetime Member

For black bear, you are fine with your G29. I have taken two black bears 250lb+ with my G20 and one with my G29 (295lb. on the game scale). Use DoubleTap 200gr XTP and hit 'em where it counts and there won't be any problems. For defense you can step up to the 200gr FMJ @ 1275fps for complete penetration on bears over 500lbs.
    -Mike

13. coltm4a3

coltm4a3

Thanks for the replies, guys, I have ordered my Glock 29 and it should be here by the end of the week! This will be my first 10mm. I've really gone insane, my last purchase was a Glock 38 .45 GAP about a half a year ago. I have found the G38 to be my favorite gun to shoot with 230 GR. winchesters. I guess I have become bored with the same old 9mm and 40S&W glocks... but love my 1911 .45 so the .45 gap fits in pretty well.

Does anyone ever stagger their magazines while in the woods, IE Hollow point, FMJ, Hollow point, FMJ, or is that a big no-no? Seems like that would cover anything I needed it for.

I guess an alternative to that would be one mag with FMJ's, the other with JHP's, but I have the feeling that if I spook a bear w/her cubs or something similar and happen to get charged, I wouldn't have time to swap mags in a real emergency.

I'm also looking forward to having fun at the range with this gun, can't wait to get it and try her out!!

14. noway

noway

A gun is better than no gun...but the bullet selection is #1 important regardless of what caliber you use. I myself would look at a 44mag or even a 44spc before a 10mm. Yes 44magnum and a 300grain or heavier hardcast bullet would put a gun hurtin on a bear.

In your G29 you are hamper by barrel lenght so velocities would be much lower than a G20 or a g20 w/6" bbl. Lower velocities = less expansion for JHP/JSP bullits.

15. Ak.Hiker

Ak.Hiker

When I carry my Glock 29 in the woods I always carry 2 hollow points up first then the rest FMJ's. As far as hollow points go I like the XTP or Winchester Silvertip as my first 2 rounds. I really do not think the shorter barrel of the 29 is much of an issue for a hiking gun. I have tested a lot of ammo for penetration in mine and trust me a full power 200 grain FMJ will really penetrate. One more comment about the 10MM, is it is pretty loud in its full power loadings. That can be an advantage if you fire the first shot in front of an animal as a warning shot. I ran a moose off that was charging me while on snow shoes with one shot. I have run across both black bears as well as brown bears while in the woods but a moose is the only wild animal that has ever charged me.Good luck with that new Glock 29.

16. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

Get the G29, because it is a great little carry gun. BUT, i agree with Noway, and some others here about 'bear hunting' with it. Yes you can kill a bear with it, but it 'is not' the best choice to do it with. You would be far better suited with a 4" 44mag, or 41mag. The 10mm is a realy interesting round. but it ain't IMHO a real 'hunters weapon' for anythng over small deer at close to moderate ranges.

Please no flames on me here boys... i like the 10 as well as y'all do ;f

I know it's all been done, and i congratulate the boys on here that have done it, some of them are friends of mine. But, i would take the 44mag on the hunt.

"Haste, and hurry, to buy something, without some good patients and thought... Usually leads to dissipointment!"
    ~CanyonMan~

I Know! ;g

CanyonMan