close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glock 29 broken take-down slide lock spring

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by mobocracy, Mar 16, 2007.

1. mobocracy

mobocracy

While reloading my G29 at the range today, I noticed a strange bit of metal on the tray in front of me. I thought WTF, this looks like the rear sight from a revolver...

At that point I realized it was actually the take-down lever of my G29. Sliding the slide off and comparing it with another Glock (17, I think, it was one the range owner had behind the counter), it looks as if the slide lock spring on my gun is broken, snapped significantly off.

What's the best choice for getting it fixed?

IMHO its a faulty part, so presumably I should be able to get Glock to fix it. Probably the "safest" way, since the factory could also ID any other problems/issues that might have caused this one. Downside is shipping it off and waiting.

A local gunsmith could probably fix it quickly and easily, but it would cost me out of pocket and I don't know of a Glock-specific or knowledgeable local gunsmith (referrals in the Twin Cities would be welcome).

It doesn't look hard to fix myself. It's beyond the gunsmithing I've done, but it looks fairly trivial and it IS about a $2 part (if I've found the right name per the schematic at Brownells). But then there's always the lingering question about if I did it right.

2. Roneye

Roneye

Hey, you are correct it is a very simple part to replace, and if you don’t mind not having your Glock for a week or two, Glock will fix it for free. But if your like me and you don’t want to be without your gun all that time fork out the $1.49 and have one of your local Glock armorer’s or gunsmiths repair it for you.

3. T. Harless

T. Harless

It's probably the most common Glock failure. Get the part, get several, and just fix it. It's a 30 second job.

4. mobocracy

mobocracy

Thanks for the info. I ordered 3 from Brownell's.

I'm assuming that the face of the slide stop with the horizontal notch faces backwards (towards the grip)? It looks like its supposed to engage the lower notch on the barrel.

I didn't see how it came out and the schematics I've found don't really show the orientation, but thats what makes sense (as well as showing the most contact wear).

5. T. Harless

T. Harless

Slide LOCK. Yes the horizontal notch goes up and to the rear.

6. Rebel_James

Rebel_James

C&P the site in my signature line for instructions, with pics, on working on your Glock.

7. mobocracy

mobocracy

Sorry, slide LOCK. I've been having an issue with a completely different gun relative to the slide stop.

8. mobocracy

mobocracy

Thanks. Very informative!

I might suggest a slightly stronger warning when removing the back cover off the slide. I wasn't totally prepared and my spring loaded bearing went flying to some godforsaken corner of the room, never to be seen again...

9. kimberguy2004

kimberguy2004

Don't worry. There are guys on here who's only function is to scan the posts to see if anyone called a part by the wrong name, and then to make sure they see the err of their ways. Unfortunately, that's about all they do...

10. mobocracy

mobocracy

Thank for the support. I've been a regular internet user since 91, so I've grown accustomed to the pedants that populate message boards.

My more immediate concern is finding a supplier who actually has the part. I ordered three from Brownell's, only to get three mislabeled striker springs. They're a different length from a couple I have from Wolff, so I have no idea what they might actually be for.

I'm hoping my order from Numrich comes through today, although I'm still waiting on the spring-loaded bushing which is collecting dust someplace in my office...

11. kimberguy2004

kimberguy2004

Interesting. I ordered two slide lock springs from Brownells and got firing pin springs instead..

12. mobocracy

mobocracy

Heh, there I go with the wrong part name again, you're right, it was more like a firing pin spring from the diagram.

The computer printed label on the little baggy matched the right Brownell's stock number for the slide lock spring (ie, it was picked by number correctly).

But whoever did the bagging of the parts from whatever bulk inventory they come in totally fscked it up and put wrong stock numbers on parts.

Did Brownells offer you a free replacement part with no return required? They did for me, but they said the right part was back ordered, so I ordered some from Numrich. Now I'll have like 5 spares, which ought to be enough for a while.

13. kimberguy2004

kimberguy2004

Yep, they made it good. That's why I buy all of my stuff from Brownells whenever possible. I've never had a bad experience dealing with them. If I find a price cheaper somewhere else, I may go there if it's a significant amount, but for a slight difference, I'll stay with the people who have always provided me with good service and products..

14. T. Harless

T. Harless

Since it was my correction, I guess you're speaking to me so I'll retort. If you take issue with my gently pointing out to the OP he's speaking about a different and totally unrelated part then you should spend the requisite 10 minutes it take to bone up on the nomenclature yourself. As to that's all I do...any time any where.

15. kimberguy2004

kimberguy2004

I'm shaking, dude...Go have another drink and chill..

16. T. Harless

T. Harless

I didn't mean that in a threatening manner, unless out shot by us that do nothing else but correct parts is threatening. Another beer is a great idea. I'll go do that, you go study pg 15 and we'll both be better off on a Friday evening. Deal?