close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glock 29 As Carry Weapon

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by markbet, Jan 8, 2010.

1. markbet

markbet

I am in the process of receiving my CCW. I intended on carrying my Glock 19. But, I have been doing quite a bit of reading on the different calibers of weapons, and the 10mm Glock 29 caught my eye.

Most on here are very seasoned when it comes to handguns, which I am not, but what I do know, I love the Glock pistol. In your opinions, would the 10mm be too much gun for a person new to handguns, maybe overkill? I would think from what I have been reading, the stopping power of the 10mm would be excellent.

Me and my wife are taking the NRA classes starting tomorrow morning. We do not plan to stop there. We have joined a shooting range, and plan on becoming involved in various functions of the range. I see that once a person gets involved with shooting handguns, it gets into your blood, its almost addictive.

2. MSgt Dotson

MSgt Dotson

IMO, yes...

Get the GLock 19.

3. sredish

sredish

would the 10mm be too much....

well, it's hard to say, it'll be a little more punchy than a 19 but i think it's manageable. you should try to shoot it before hand ifyou can. i love my 29 very much and actually don't feel it's that overwhelming. i think you'd be fine but I'd try and shoot it a bunch after you get it (which I'd do with the 19 also).

i think it'd be fine but you need to practice with it... i carry a 29 every day.

4. Sammael

Sammael Ich tu dir Weh.

A hit from a 9mm > A miss from a 10mm.

5. TerdSlayer

TerdSlayer

I would stick with the 19...

6. kennjen

kennjen

I'm in the same shoes. My brain thinks G17 is a good idea...while my heart wants a G29.

I've applied for a permit and I'm 3 month in to my expected 9 month + wait in NY. (Save your "move" comment plz. It's just rude and stupid thing to say) I really like having unique things and getting a most powerful glock appeals to me from that aspect. (I wanted to get away from Glocks for the same reason, but I think I'm getting a glock....that's a different story)

Anyway, there is two different comments I hear from ppl here about g29, which are :

• Gee..10mm g29 isn't bad at all, even with full power DT rounds. It's not a 9mm, but very manageable and comparable to .45 or .40.
    • Wow..10mm is stout.

Having said that we also need to remember the facts below :

• I'm being told that most factory 10mm rounds are loaded light to what may be comparable to some .40 rounds anyways.
    • You can easily and reliably shoot 357 sig and .40 with ONLY a conversion barrel. (no new mag. nor extractor needed)
    Taking above comments and facts in with a grain(s) of salt, my take away for G29 was :

• YMMV on the comment about G29 being manageable, as this may be just an opinion of a experienced shooters and/or recoil proof shooters.
    • BUT, all seem to agree for the most part, that G29 does NOT recoil as bad as they thought it would at all !!
    • AND, you can RELIABLY shoot .40 out of it with an addition of a $99 barrel. So, if 10mm (light load) is found to be too stout, then shoot that for a while....
    • BUT... .40 rounds are usually said to be "Snappy" and not recommended for beginners..usually...
    • BUT.....G29 have heavy slides and build to accomodate a 10mm, so it may soften .40's snappiness ?? (my own educated guess.)
    Having said that G17 gen. 4 is comming out soon.....And I bought 6 g17 pre-ban mags already....(At one point, I decided g17 was it). In the end, I'm still stuck between g17 and g29..... *sigh* I still don't know what I'm going to get....But, I hope my summary above will save you from all the surfing I did to read through posts about G29.

My own recommendation is this : "Get what you want."

IT's a fine line between "stupid" and "Fun"... Only you can decide what is fun ("Damn I love 10mm") or stupid ("Damn, 10mm bucks like a mule, shoulda gotten a g17 !") I think most, if not all, will try to push you away from G29 as your first gun. But, I've seen post from those that did exactly that and was really happy too.... (But then, I'm the kind of a gun that jumps in to things "Head first"...YMMV. I don't even have a permit yet...he he)

SORRY FOR THE LONG POST....

ken

P.S. I do have one legitimate reason for wanting a G29.... I've come face to face with a Black bear, while fishing. Scared the c**p out of me.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2010
  7. lvkyle

lvkyle

Even people who aren't new to handguns when I let them shoot my glock 26 I see horrible cases of flinching, anticipating the recoil, holding the gun at a sideward angle, you name it.

The biggest problem I see people have is their trigger pull mixed with them anticipating the recoil.

I say you should master a 9mm and move your way up. Also consider the cost of ammo, which you will need a lot of to practice since you are new. $10 for a box of 50 9mm vs god only knows if you can even find 10mm.

It would probably be easy to trade a glock 9mm for a 10mm in the future anyways, as 10mm is expensive to shoot, and I personally see them for sale all the time in my classifieds.

8. vinnier6

vinnier6

this is just an ignorant comment....if you can hit the target with a 9mm, you can hit the target with a 10mm....if you dealing with a first shot situation, the 10mm is going to do way more damage then the 9mm...follow up shots may be easier with a 9mm...but there is no guarantee that you will even get off a second shot....

9. glock2740

glock2740 Gun lover.

I rarely CC my G29, but mostly because it has a 3.5# connector on it. But on the same hand, I rarely CC my G30 either. They're both kind of chunky for IWB carry. But they both make for great guns to have in a SHTF situation for sure.

10. glock2740

glock2740 Gun lover.

One must always recognize the power of the 10mm though:supergrin:

[​IMG]

11. mad.gunsmith

mad.gunsmith NRA and GSSF Life Member Silver Member

i have the G29 and i love it but i still carry my G26 or G19 the G29 is to big for CCW
    Get the G29 if you can, you can't have just one Glock

12. markbet

markbet

Thank you for all the good information. Like I said before, we are going to our NRA class starting tomorrow. I called the indoor range we joined, and they do in fact have a Glock 29 I can rent and shoot, so I will be giving it a try tomorrow. And they have plenty of 10mm ammo so he told me.

On the other hand, my wife just told me that she does not care what other gun I buy, "she gets my Glock 19"! I really think she likes that g19 more than she like s me!

13. Austrian Tupperware

Austrian Tupperware

Yes...get the G19.

I have been carrying a G29 since '97 when they were first introduced, however, I was not new to handguns or the 10mm caliber. The G29 is not the Glock to cut your CCW teeth on. It is hands down one of the most powerful handguns for its size that you could carry...it comes with some very serious caveats...

1) Recoil. It is stout, especially so if you haven't been around handguns very long.

2) Function. I have noticed that the G29 platform is very susceptible to limp wrist induced malfunctions...a very common rookie mistake. I think this can be attributed to the short action cycle and the "snap" style recoil of the 10mm round.

3) Ammo availability. Since it is going to be your fist CCW you are going to want to train...a lot. The price of even range duty ammo for the 10mm is becoming prohibitive...let alone the price of full power defense loads.

So...buy the G19...learn on it...enjoy it. Once you are comfortable with your skill set I would then start looking at the G29.

14. Erich1B

Erich1B

IMHO - I don't think that the 10mm is "too much gun for a person new to handguns." As with anything, practice makes the difference. I have a G29 that I use as a CCW. No problems with concealment for me. Carried at 4:00 PM with a TT Gunleather IWB holster.

15. sredish

sredish

if there's any chance of needing something for a a varmint larger than a human, G29 and don't look back. It really is very manageable, sure it has more punch than a 9mm but it is pretty manageable, I actually enjoy shooting it more than my 9mms. Some rounds down the tube and some time behind the trigger will overcome any differences and if you start with it, you'll be less likely to notice a difference as compared to shooting a 19 for a year then going to a 29.

I live in rural environment and carry a 29 because I don't know what I may come across...

16. Airborne Infantryman

Airborne Infantryman Nuclear Trunk Monkey

*EDITED TO AVOID PISSING OFF THE 10MM CROWD*

I will just say this- another poster said; get what you REALLY want. I've learned the hard way a few times, and had to take a loss on the gun I THOUGHT I wanted, but really didn't, so I could get the gun I really wanted.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2010
  17. DEADLYACCURATE

DEADLYACCURATE Senior Member

:rofl: It gets me every time

18. mclaren

mclaren

a hit from a Daisy Red Ryder > A miss from a 9mm.

Its all relative. No lack of recoil can make up for poor techniques. A Glock 29 is far from being uncontrolable by most people. Everyone with poor technique can miss with a 9mm. You are confusing two completely different things. Unless you are claiming that the G29 has piss poor accuracy and that a shot from a G29 will be a miss everytime. Thats a hard case to make.
    A hit with a 10mm is superior to a hit with a 9mm. Based on accepted criteria of stopping a threat and repeatable scientific observations of the best performing examples from either caliber.
    So if you are promoting practicing to become proficient with your weapon we are in the same boat. A .25 ACP or a .50 AE are both failures when they miss the target. Provided equal shot placement the .50 AE will stop a threat more quickly and for a longer period of time up to death. This is undeniable.
    If the guy can afford 10mm, its available to practice with.

On the other hand. I would actually reccomend the G19 in this situation. Being a newbie to the shooting scene you will become proficient with a smaller caliber more quickly. Master the 9mm then graduate to the 10mm with confidence. Then hit with the 10mm as the BG misses you with his 9mm.

19. BusDrvr

BusDrvr

Some good points made in favor of each platform. I will say that unless you have a good amount of discretionary income the 10mm is expensive on ammo even at watered down levels. Plan on reloading? Purchasing the LWD .40 conversion barrel will allow you to get more trigger time for practice with cheaper .40 caliber ammo.

What I have experienced with the .40 barrel in the G29, and this is just my impression, is that recoil is pretty much a non-issue. I recall reading where Jim Cirillo said putting a .40 barrel in 10mm platform would make for a smooth system and I wholeheartedly agree. So, if you find that 10mm is too much you can build up to it or stay with a very low recoil .40 caliber G29.

The 29 is a thick, heavy weapon though. Not too bad IWB but make sure you're OK with it.

20. iiibdsiil

iiibdsiil

Definitely shoot one first. It's my regular carry piece and I am very happy with it but it might not be for you. The grip is a little big. I have smallish hands and that doesn't bother me.

I'll put 200 rounds down the tube at the shooting range no problems with pretty stout reloads. Would I rather be shooting a full size 9? Of course. Probably rather be shooting a .22 also though. ;) For self-defense size targets, most people will shoot it just fine.