Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Presently, my daily carry is a G27, and I love it. Never a problem, as one would expect with a Glock.

However, I have been eyeing up a new G29 at my local dealer, and it is giving me quite the chubby(is that ok to say?). LOL.

Anyhow, it will be my primary CCW piece. Is there a break-in period on the G29? I can't really afford to throw 500 rounds of 10mm through it to make sure it is "ready to go". I will probably throw a couple break-in boxes through it, and then load it up with some good Silver Tip for carry, and then leave it at that. I would assume that the G29 does not have a ridiculous break-in period, and that it would be safe to rely on the gun after maybe a hundred rounds or so?

·
Registered
216 Posts
I'd keep your .40 and screw the 10mm. The G29 is a nice gun, but why?

My Glock 29 is for sale. 100% mint and no failures. Less than 100rds fired. Comes with case, two mags and 100rds of ammo (CCI). This would knock about $80 off the break-in period and allow you get a new gun for a used price.

I like to give my guns a 500rd break in just so I can test it then inspect the parts.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I'd keep your .40 and screw the 10mm. The G29 is a nice gun, but why?

My Glock 29 is for sale. 100% mint and no failures. Less than 100rds fired. Comes with case, two mags and 100rds of ammo (CCI). This would knock about $80 off the break-in period and allow you get a new gun for a used price.

I like to give my guns a 500rd break in just so I can test it then inspect the parts.
Because the 40 is slow and weak, but why then would you say that if you're trying to sell him something?

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Personally, unless you are willing to either reload for the 10mm (highly recommended) or put out the cash for ammo, you would be better served by keeping your G-27 and maybe buying a G-30 if you want another pistol. I am not knocking the G-29 at all, as I have owned one for the past ten years and have had zero issues with it. The main reasons I prefer the G-29 to a G-27 is that for me, the G-29 has considerably less felt recoil and it has been far more accurate than any 40 Glock I have owned. However, I reload and have everything I need to support my 10mm pistol. I also like my G-30 every bit as much as my G-29 and will not part with either pistol. The cool thing about my G-29, is that I have yet to find a person who has not liked it the first time they have shot it. When loaded with warm loads, there is no doubt that you are packing some fairly serious heat.

·
Registered
535 Posts
I own a 20 and a 29. They Rule. I'd sell your 27 and get the 29. Why have an underpowered 10mm when you have a 10mm? The 27 is nice cause it's a little smaller... but if you can make due with the extra heft... the 29 is the superior weapon IMHO. Keep some 15 rounders for spares and you're packing some firepower.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I've got a 26 and 29 and while I love and carry the 29, it does not carry as comfortably as the 26/27/33 does, it's thicker and it's heavier, but it's an impressive leap in power from the smaller Glock subs. With a good holster and belt the difference, while noticeable, isn't onerous.

As far as cost of ammo is concerned, do what I did, buy an inexpensive Lone Wolf .40 conversion barrel. I also reload 10mm, but I still shoot mostly .40 through it at the range.

I love my 26, but carrying the 29 gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling that few other guns I've owned have matched.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
3rdpig, just curious, but is the G-29 fairly accurate with the 40 conversion barrel installed? I have been seriously thinking about trying one, but I just have not convinced myself to do it yet.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Sorry to say that the 10mm is adicting. If you get one there is no;"Just shoot a few rounds and keep it for defense".

You are gonna' love it too much!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Everyone has an opinion about break-in for a glock. I think you should break-in every gun but the procedure vary with each gun. Glock break-in is not the same as a 1911 break-in whcih is not the same as a bolt-action rifle break-in...you get the idea.

For a new glock, I'll put about 100-150 ball ammo downrange after a quick clean & lube. If its a carry weapon, I'll use put about 50 rounds downrange of the carry ammo (using the carry magazine) to make sure there are no feed problems. That's it. For a 10mm my break-in routine costs approx $50.00 - $75.00 in ammo.

The 10mm is addicitive. For me, perceived recoil for the G29 and G20 are much less than the 40S&W or 45ACP. As a result, the 10mm is the best combination of power and control for me. It can be expensive, but reloading is always an option. If that isn't for you, Georgia Arms makes some good practice ammo for a reasonable price. I couldn't be happier with a G29 as my EDC.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
:whistling:
The 10mm is addicitive. For me, perceived recoil for the G29 and G20 are much less than the 40S&W or 45ACP. As a result, the 10mm is the best combination of power and control for me. It can be expensive, but reloading is always an option. If that isn't for you, Georgia Arms makes some good practice ammo for a reasonable price. I couldn't be happier with a G29 as my EDC.
I IMMEDIATELY flew over to Georgia Arms website. Are you referring to the 1000 pack for $295? Is that their cheapest?

·
10mm User
194 Posts
I carry a G29... because I can.
I would rather have a "hand cannon" than a handgun any day of the week.

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
get the 29 and keep the 27. never sell guns if you don't have to. just keep buying.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Is there a break-in period on the G29?
No

I will probably throw a couple break-in boxes through it, and then load it up with some good Silver Tip for carry, and then leave it at that.
That should be fine

I would assume that the G29 does not have a ridiculous break-in period, and that it would be safe to rely on the gun after maybe a hundred rounds or so?
Yes

·
Registered
399 Posts
Get the 29, I seriously doubt that you will be sorry.

Load her up with Double Tap for self defense and get a real chubby!

·
Registered
29 Posts
3rdpig, just curious, but is the G-29 fairly accurate with the 40 conversion barrel installed? I have been seriously thinking about trying one, but I just have not convinced myself to do it yet.
I have a G29 also and have the Lone wolf .40 extended and ported barrel. I was very impressed with the .40 barrel, as I used it when I did my CHL class. Like having 2 guns in one.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts