Glock 29, 40SW conversion

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by iiibbb, Apr 27, 2005.

1. iiibbb

iiibbb

Hey there:

I've narrowed my choice of next handgun to either a Smith and Wesson Model 60 revolver in .357mag, or a Glock 29. Mostly for carrying in the woods in the Appalachians and SE US. I figure either would handle most things that come along except maybe a bear, and they might even be borderline ok for that. I don't really want to carry anything larger.

One of the nice things about the .357 is that you can practice with .38SPL. The Glock 29 (assuming it fits my hand) would be more attractive if I could shoot .40SW, and I know that conversion barrels are available... but what else do you have to change... what magazines do you use for instance?

I'm still in window-shopping mode... so I'm not dead set on anything yet... Thanks for the input.

2. Willard

Willard Who, me?

Yes, conversion barrels are available, and recommended. A Federal berrel will run you about $80. Contact Desert_Scorpion here on GlockTalk.

Lots of folks use 40 in their G29 and G20 without changing barrels. Personally, I would rather change the barrel.

Use the same magazines. No problem, there.

You _might_ need to change the recoil spring to make the 40 cycle more reliably, but I think most guys don't have any trouble with the stock G29 spring.

3. iiibbb

iiibbb

A lighter spring I assume?

4. Willard

Willard Who, me?

Yes