close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glock 27 slide lock issues

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by weezy619, Dec 31, 2009.

1. weezy619

weezy619

Hey everyone. Have a question. I went to range yasterday and shot my glock19 and 27. I bought my 27 like 3 months ago. When I was shooting it, the slide wouldn't lock back everytime it cleared. Not a big deal but annoying. Any ideas why this all of a sudden occures? I clean them after every time I shoot. Maybe from keeping them loaded too long in my house?

2. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

It is most likely a grip/stance/posture issue. In 13 years of Glocking I have never, ever worn out a magazine spring, follower or slide stop lever.

3. weezy619

weezy619

Even if u kept mags loaded for home defence? Hmm ok. I hold on to that baby with a tight grip so no limp wristing. I want to clean it up and oil it really good and go to range and see if makes a differece

4. D445547

D445547

Same experience here. OP, next time you shoot that 27 get a firmer grip and lock your wrists up a bit more. Get the area of your palm between your thumb and forefinger up as high as possible on the rear of the grip, that will help your control a great deal.

What you are likely experiencing is the dreaded "limp-wristing". Not having a firm enough grip on the gun when firing will not allow the slide to come back far enough to engage the slide-stop lever. This is quite common with the Glock .40s, especially the 27.

Your grip as it is seems pretty good because you are not causing the gun to totally malfunction but does need to tighten up some IF this is in fact the problem. It does seem likely on a 3 month old 27 if you bought it new. Hope that helped. :wavey:

Added: It could also be as simple as your thumb riding on the slide-stop lever as you shoot.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2009
  5. vinnier6

vinnier6

yea, even if keeping them loaded for home defense...i have mags that are 16 years old, and they have never needed to have the springs replaced....

6. weezy619

weezy619

Hmm ok thanks. I'll look into it next time I shoot. I know I have a firm grip because my hand doesn't move at all when I shoot. Might be hitting slide release tho. I'm curious now haha I want to go shoot it and find out

7. Mhiett

Mhiett God is Love.

Check your thumbs and how they are "married" (for lack of a better term) on the side of your pistol. I had a young man having the same problem at the range and it was as simple as bending the joint of his thumbs slightly when shooting so he didn't trip the slide lock.

8. mr smithglock

mr smithglock

^ watch your thumbs. exactly.