Glock 27 Slide does not lock back!!!

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by bill.miller, Jul 2, 2002.

1. bill.miller

bill.miller

dear all,

I have a Glock 27, shot about 1000 rounds so far and noticed that when I shoot the last round the slide does not lock back all the time. it usually does, but sometimes not.

I use regular ammo, never reloads, Federal and Winchester mostly. 180gr.

do you think it may be a problem with the gun? or is it normal operation?

thanks for your advice.

Bill

2. Michigun

Michigun live free or die

I've seen this happen before on newer (I'm assuming it's a newer gun) guns & 99% of the time it's 1 of 2 things... (1) You're "riding the slide catch" with your thumb. (2) You're not "locking" your wrist up well enough, a variant of the "limp wrist".

No biggy, just correct you grip.

Have you had anyone else fire your G27 to see if they have the same problem?

3. WalterGA

WalterGA Millennium Member

Could, of course, need new mag springs.

4. bill.miller

bill.miller

thanks for the reply.

I will check the "riding the slide catch with your thumb" and the "not locking your wrist up well enough" theories next time at the range.

however, one thing I don't understand is how can the mag springs matter on the slide operation. after the last shot there will be no new round being inserter on the chamber. the explosion makes the slide move back to the end of its course were it should lock in place. seems to me that the mag is completely out of this operation.

thanks for any clarification.

Bill

5. g19222721

g19222721 Glock Shooter

Bill,

If you look at the follower in the magazine, the front(where the bullet points foward)has a little lip that pushes up on the slide lever from the inside when there are no rounds in the magazine.

Try with an unloaded magazine inserted and the slide forward. Slowly pull the slide back and you should see the slide lever catch. Pull the slide all the way back and the slide lever hold the slide open.

A weak magazine spring will not put enough force on the follower to hold open the slide after the last shot. A damaged follower will do the same. That's why replacing the mag springs and/or followers will correct the problem.

6. bill.miller

bill.miller

oh! now I understood how the magazine may affect the operation. thanks for the tip!

Bill