Glock 27 question

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by maddawg918, Oct 2, 2005.

1. maddawg918

maddawg918

I've got a 27 that I picked up recently from another glocktalk member. It shoots great, doesn't have any problems with this one exception. It absolutely will not shoot the Winchester Talon ammo reliably. After 2, maybe 3 shots the slide will lock back and the next round will not feed. It does it time after time, I've swapped mags out, still does it. Today I shot regular Winchester hps, SXTs, Golden Sabres, and some Gold Dot, all without any problems. What gives?^8

2. glockin101

glockin101 CCSO56

I had the same problem except with Hydra-Shoks. I changed out the followers to #6's and that cured my problem.

3. 1slo10

1slo10

i have shot 180gr fmj no problem and cci 180gr fmj no problem corbon 137gr jhp no problem.

4. fastbolt

fastbolt

Based on the wording of your statement, I would understand it to mean that the slide is locked in the open/back position which would likely mean the slide stop lever was engaged in the slide's slide stop notch. If so, then it would certainly make sense that ammunition wouldn't feed because the slide didn't return forward, picking up a round as it returned to battery.

If you mean the slide was stopped at some point in its cycling ... but not locked to the rear via the slide stop lever being engaged in the slide's notch ... and the top round in the magazine had been displaced in some manner inappropriate for proper feeding, chambering & locking ... then something else obviously may be occuring.

Also, obviously, it would be easier to understand what was happening if we were able to observe you and your pistol while it was occurring.

Could be shooter-related ... could be ammunition-related ... could be magazine-related (still possible with more than one magazine, especially if the magazine springs are all aged and weakened to the point where the slide can 'outrun' them) ... could even be pistol-related.

My G27 functions fine with RA40TA (165gr) T-Series ammunition, as well as several other types of ammunition which I've used ... 180gr Ranger "standard" JHP's, W-W 165gr SXT (over-the-counter, non-L/E SXT bullet designed for public sale), a limited number of RA40T 180gr T-Series, Remington Express 180gr JHP's & 165gr non-bonded Golden Sabres, and 180gr Gold Dot ... just to name what I can remember off the top of my head ...

While I naturally can't claim ... and am NOT claiming... to be able to understand and diagnose what's occurring in your specific case, it's not unusual for someone with a grip technique which might be considered 'borderline' in some respect, for the specific platform size in question (improper wrist firmness, for instance, or less than sufficient actual hand firmness during the wrong part of the pistol's cycling) to sometimes experience apparent functioning issues with some ammunition, but not with others. Increased slide velocities with one type of ammunition may be just enough for a 'borderline' issue with a grip/shooting technique to manifest in some apparent 'functioning problem', but not with others.

Also, on another note I was told by someone from Glock that the #6 .40 follower was designed to help resolve some 'reported' functioning issues experienced by a small number of their L/E clients, using a particular brand of L/E ammunition.

My G27 magazines are a mix of those using the #5 and #6 followers, FWIW.

It might help to have another experienced Glock user (or a Glock armorer) examine and test-fire your G27, and the magazines, as well as observe you shooting it.

If one of our folks were to ask me to help them with such a problem, as I understand you to mean it, I'd first examine the G27 and all of the magazines for any apparent problems, including weakened magazine springs ... I'd check the ammunition for indications of any visible defects (including checking fired cases for signs of anything unusual) ... I'd test-fire the G27 myself, to see what happened when I was using it with the same magazines and ammunition used by the owner ... then, if nothing appeared to be wrong with the pistol, magazines, or ammunition, and it functioned fine when I fired it, I'd focus on observing the owner shooting it.

Just my thoughts ...

5. maddawg918

maddawg918

Hi fastbolt, thanks for the suggestions. I shoot extensively, lots and lots of ammo downrange. Probably average couple hundred rounds a week, give or take. I shoot more .45ACP and .45LC than I do .40S&W. Former member of a local navy pistol team, I can pretty much rule out limp-wristing. Today I shot 20 rounds of Wolf FMJ, no problems, 20 rounds of S&B FMJ, no problems, 20 rounds of Winchester JHPs, no problems, 20 rounds of Golden Sabre, no problems, 10 more rounds of Talon, boy oh boy, problem still exists. Another friend recommended trying a different lot of Talons which I will do. All rounds were fired out of the same mag. Ordered 2 new mags today, will try them out when they get here. It just makes me scratch my head, it's only with the Talons. Can't figure out why. IF it was the mags, why does it only happen with Talons? IF I were limp-wristing, why only with the Talons? They don't recoil anymore than any of the other rounds. IF it were a problem with the 27, why only with the Talons? I'll also pick up a few more brands of ammo, maybe some Corbons. Until I figure it out, the Talons will stay in the ammo locker.

6. fastbolt

fastbolt

Cool ...

Sent you a PM. ;)