close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glock 27 question

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Rom832, May 8, 2003.

1. Rom832

Rom832

Hello all,

What cartridge should I use to evaluate the G27 for the worst
    case recoil? Is there much difference between the worst case
    and best case?

What is recommended for self-defense and range practice?

Thanks

2. BikerGoddess

BikerGoddess Got hairspray?

I've found Winchester white box to be the hottest (I was in a hurry, and that's all Wal-Mart had..). But it still wasn't bad.

Do you have the grip extension?

Laura

3. southernshooter

southernshooter

On the range portion of your question I have noticed my G27 prefers 180 grain ammo for the best accuracy.

4. dhoomonyou

dhoomonyou

I've heard the lighter loads (less than 165) kick.
    the FBI load is 165.
    I use winchester white box (WALMART) for target, and speer 165 gold dots (THE LE recall) for target, and 180 winchester hp, or Federal Hydra shoks.

5. quiet cat

quiet cat

I purchased a 357sig barrel for my Glock 27. That's recoil!! I upgraded the recoil spring to 22# and that helped. All my mags had +1 grip extenders that assist in the grip. I have fired Federal self-defense loads and that's where I got the biggest recoil. My range ammo is Sellier and Bellot FMJ and they are consistent - no fliers, no jams, no misfires.

Good luck.:)

6. BlindBoyJoe

BlindBoyJoe

I have shot a lot of different .40 S&W ammo (CCI, American Eagle, Winchester, PMC, Fiocchi)and I have found that 170gr. Fiocchi to have the most recoil by far. It is a European cartridge so they tend to be a bit hotter. Try it out and I think that you will agree.

7. M27David

M27David Be Prepared!

Cor-Bon 135 gr (1325fps/526ftlbs) had more whip to it than the 155 gr (1140fps/445ftlbs) Fed Hydra-Shoks the two loads I used for carry.

FWIW, after less than 500 rds of the Cor-Bons the trigger pin broke. I don't know if it was the ammo or the pin was bad that caused it to break. I do know since then I have stopped using the Cor-Bons and have just stuck with the Feds and I have not had any problems.

[​IMG]

8. Jitterbug

Jitterbug

I found the 165 Rem Golden Sabre, 165 Gold Dot Speer and the GA 165 Gold Dot to be a bit stiff for my liking in the little G27, I checked around and found the 165 Federal Hy-dro shock to be the mildest self defence load available.

Controlable, low flash and accurate. Even though they run about 350 FPE I'm sure they'd be adequate. Hindsight being 20/20 I sometimes wish I'd gone with the G26, However I think that Federal Hydro Shok is probably equivilant to a hot 9. And with the G27 I have more options.

9. Jitterbug

Jitterbug

Forgot to add I think the American Eagle 165 is a great practice load

10. B Coyote

B Coyote

I like the 180 grain loads. I use Winchester White Box 180 FMJ for practice and 180 grain JHP for carry. I'm very happy with this combination. Both accuracy and reliablity are good.

The 165 grain Hydrashok is a reduced load. It's a 165 grain bullet loaded to 180 grain velocity. Recoil is mild as are muzzle blast and flash. IIRC, this was the first .40 load approved by the FBI. I have heard they recently switched (they change guns/ammo like underwear). I'm not sure what they went to or why.

bc:)

11. Rom832

Rom832

Thanks all for your replies. I am debating between the G26 and
    the G27. It does seem from what I have read that I would not be
    under-gunned with the 26, but I am still not sure.

12. Pred8tory

Pred8tory Retired Copper Lifetime Member

The 180s are the lightest recoil and if you can find them, the Ranger T 180s (RA40T) have almost no muzzle flash.

13. marsb

marsb

Wow, did I get a bad batch of 135 GR Corbons? In my G27 they kick less than anything I've shot so far (Win white box 165/180, Fiocchi 180, American Eagle, CCI Blazers, UMC, Speer Lawman). Almost no muzzle flash. The next best round that I've tried was the Winchesters white box 165 (recoil wise - for practice).

The worst by far for recoil is the FIOCCHI. That round is HOT HOT HOT! Kicks like a mule...

I've been on www.tacticalforums.com (not necessarily the friendliest bunch out there) but from what i've been reading the 135 GR Corbons are not the best out there... I don't know what BEST means, but that's what their guru there says. Then again, I live in Florida, where I don't need to penetrate through 10 layers of clothing, and from what I'm guessing their guru there is speaking from gellatin experience. He might be right, but he might also be ohh soo very wrong! Gellatin tests do not necessarily represent real world performance in my opinion.

I just hope I never get into a gun fight, so I'll never know which one works best... but my guess is that the best is what you have at that time... and in hindsight you'll always wonder "what if" I had another load in there? That is if you lived through it of course...

14. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

You will not be undergunned with a G26. You don't need a .44 Magnum to get the job done.

15. Steve Koski

Steve Koski Got Insurance? Millennium Member

Hottest factory ammo I've shot is 180 Lawman. I've heard tales that the 165 Law Man is hot too.

However, this stuff is mild compared to 7.5 gr Power Pistol under 165 Montana Gold JHP at 1.135".

Koski

16. Bonk

Bonk Millennium Member

None of my .40cal pistols seem to like anything other than 180gr loads. I use Speer GoldDots for duty and carry, and Remington UMC or Winchester white box (whatever's cheaper) for practice. I tried PMC 165gr last month and both my G22 and Para P16-40 were all over the place.

17. redskyzatknight

redskyzatknight Glock S&W Kahr

See the thread in the 40 Club "155gr.@ 1300fps". That's my business load now. I practice with the same case and bullets @ 1200fps.