Glock 27 Question? New to Glock Talk

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by wjenkins96, Jan 13, 2010.

1. wjenkins96

wjenkins96

I've been a follower of glock talk for quite some time but never have felt the need to post until now.
    I conceal carry a 23 daily and have for quite some time but as of late its just getting more and more uncomfortable to carry almost to a point of leaving it at home on certain occasions. I've tried different holster's in a couple of styles but nothing has made a big difference. I've considered maybe trading one of my 23's in towards a new 27. I would like to hear peoples opinions on the 27 vs 23. Do you'll think it would be that much of a difference between the two?

Thanks!

2. MajSingh

MajSingh Namaste

i personally feel the loss of ammo does not equate to the MINUSCULE siz difference.

I would first try to consider your method of carry. Since you mention it ben uncomfortable, i assume you carry IWB, correct? Are you using a gun belt to help to support and distribute the extra weight? What holster(s) are you using? So far, my most comfortable iwb holster is by far the crossbreed. Worth a try.

3. BigJohnJr04

BigJohnJr04 iPac

After much help from the members here at GT, I bought a 27 for carry purposes. I must admit that it was possibly the best move I have made handgun wise. The 23 is a compact model, the 27 is subcompact so there will be some size difference. I can only speak for myself, but the 27 with the 23 mag and filler works perfect for me. Here is a picture, not sure if it will help.
    [​IMG]

4. SilverBullet_83

SilverBullet_83 NRA member

I have the 27 for my daily carry and carry it IWB at roughly 4:30
    if you do go with it I wouldnt recommend the extensions as this would be making the grip bigger, which is something you are trying to avoid with the switch

5. Steel Head

Steel Head Tactical Cat

A good belt makes a huge difference
    What holsters have you tried?
    Weight wise the 27 is not much lighter but the height is about 3/4 in shorter(less grip)and that will certainly help to conceal it
    I carry a 23 all day no prob in my M-TAC holster-this, the Supertuck and Milt sparks VM2 seem to be the most effective and comfy IWB's

Last edited: Jan 13, 2010
  6. wjenkins96

wjenkins96

Thanks for the feedback, and yes i carry iwb. The smaller grip is actually the appeal to me the problem for me is when i sit at my desk or im driving down the road the bottom of the gun will press agaisnt things and shift the gun or press into my side.

7. knoxrocks222

knoxrocks222

8. greatwun

greatwun Senior Member

Have you tried carrying at 4:00 position? Also with the cool weather I like to layer up and have been carrying OWB 3:00, way more comfortable than IWB and doesnt print as much as you'd think

9. mteagle1

mteagle1

Has anyone tried a shoulder holster with a 27? Or a Blackhawk Serpa paddle?

10. HighwayStarPP

HighwayStarPP bang bang bang

what holster are you using?, i daily carry a 27 and use a ctac holster, but i have also carried a fullsize 22 in it, its all about there you place the holster.

11. deadsquirrel

deadsquirrel

I switched from a 23 to a 27 for the same reason. 27 is much more comfortable, and i am just as accurate with it. i am glad i made the switch. you can always buy/keep the glock 23 mags and get an extension for backup rounds i guess

12. Fire_Medic

Fire_Medic Polymer Butcher CLM

CCW is almost it's own art form in my opinion. Many things come into play such as your size, body type, build around the midsection, how wide your shoulders are, what holster and belt you use, and where on your waist you put the firearm.

It takes practice and just trying different things. I am currently using a G22 for CCW sharing duties between a Bladetech Nano (IWB) and Milt Sparks VM 2 (IWB). For the summer months I might end up getting a smaller frame gun G23 but not sure yet. The size difference in grip is not much smaller maybe a half inch, and the length of slide and barrel in my opinion is a moot point if you carry IWB as the muzzle end is concealed.

OWB carry is definitely much more comfortable and I occasionally do that as well and have found that holsters like the Kramer belt scabbards work well as the gun is held in tight and high to the body and doesn't stick out (away from you) as much as regular OWB holsters.

At the end of the day though, it all about what YOU are comfortable using, if you're not comfortable carrying the gun then you're not going to do so.

But remember carrying a gun is suppose to be comforting not comfortable. You're always sacrificing something comfort wise when carrying it's about what you can deal with the best. The way you dress has a lot to do with it also.

Just my $0.02 :wavey:

13. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

Do you really think 9+1 and a extra 23's mag is insufficient ammo?? That gives you 23 rounds for the 27 vs 26 rounds for the 23.

Anyway, the 23's grip is nearly an inch shorter than the 23's. That's a real difference in concealability. The grip length is very important.

I wouldn't trade away a 23 for a 27. I would own both. If I could only own one I would stick with the 23.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2010
  14. wjenkins96

wjenkins96

To cowboy i have two 23's so i'll still have a 23. I've tried a m-tach i have a cheapy tague for now so i can just remove it when i get in my truck or sit at my desk. I'm gonna try the gun belt that seems like the best idea so far.

15. GunFighter45ACP

GunFighter45ACP

I made a similar switch a couple months ago & currently roll w/the G27. The best advice I can offer is to re-read Fire_Medic's post. He hit it right on the head.

16. sourdough44

sourdough44

I would go right to a "J" frame, you can still keep your 23.

17. HogGlocker

HogGlocker Owner Since 88'

I've carried a 27 OWB for ten years. I find it to be one of the best carry weapons I have ever encountered.

Set up with Pearce +1, I have 11 rds on tap. I carry a spare 23 mag so that makes 24 rds of Gold Dot at my disposal.

24 rds......don't let anyone tell you that 24 or even 21 rds of .40 is insufficient. Granted, not enough for a fire fight but more than enough for anyone worth his salt behind his carry weapon.

To each his own though as they say...

I also have and carry regularly a 23 [been with that model for ten years as well]. Both are Xcellent weapons...its a toss for me usually but I usually carry the 27 in summer and the 23 in winter...concealment either way is a non issue for me....over 6ft and at 200 lbs I can conceal at will.

I would not trade away my 23 for a 27 or vice versa but if I had more than one 23 I can say that I would. The 27 is smaller and it does conceal a wee bit better for me.

I primarily use a Don Hume # 36 for both....it works, is durable, easily concealable and fast on the draw.

The 27 is one Glock I would not be without...again, thats just me though.

18. himey29

himey29

I agree with HogGlocker 100%..I carry my 23 in the winter and my 27 in the summer,he is telling you right i think.Trust your instint on it,if you think the 27 is going to make you happy then trade it,you can always trade it for another 23 if your not happy with it.

19. mr smithglock

mr smithglock

I say there is a big difference. For 1 the recoil, I think there is a big difference between the 27 and 23 ( I own both so I know ) 2. The size you will notice a great difference if your gonna carry a 27 daily you wont leave home without it. I personally bought a 26 b.c I do not like the recoil in the 27 it just isnt fun to shoot. If your interested in buying a LNIB g27 pm me. I have one for sale it just sits there.

20. mteagle1

mteagle1

Can I throw this in the mix for IWB, a 27 frame with a 22 top end. This equates to what XD is doing with their 45. Gives short concealibility with full length sight radius. The XD compact comes with a 10 round and 13 round mag with a sleeve. There is a picture of a 27 with a 23 mag and sleeve so why not a 22 mag and sleeve? I am leaning towards the 27 over a 26 because we have a lot of people wearing down jackets/vests 8 months of the year. I am sure there are lots of good 9mm self defense rounds but I'm in the group of people that think self defense rounds should start with a 4. I do own the XD45 compact but I really don't care for the grip safety.