close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glock 27 out Kahr P40 in? Decisions.

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by kraigster414, Nov 14, 2004.

1. kraigster414

kraigster414

I am seriously thinking of trading-in my Glock 27 with LaserMax. Great gun but the grip is just too darn wide for my smallish hands. I love my Kahr PM9 but would like to have one good .40SW. Would you say the P40 is a worthy successor to the G27? Any other suggestions for an ultra light, small .40 for concealed carry? Thanks.

2. TJS

TJS

I have had 2 Kahrs (1-K40, and 2-P40's), while slimmer they were not as reliable as my G27 which I currently carry. Yes, they feel great in the hand and they are expensive in my opinion. but I am very obsessive about reliability and they did not cut it. I polished the barrel but still did not feel comfortable with their lack of reliability. Maybe get a Glock grip reduction job on yours and that may help. Good luck in your decision. I have been there and it was tough!
    TJS

3. cole

cole Millennium Member

The Kahr P-Series are great guns IMHO. I speak from experience of owning a P9 while also acknowledging I've heard/read about problems wtih the P40/PM40.

I shot the P40 while choosing between the P40 and P9. More recoil and it just did not "feel" as good to me shooting as the P9.

I think the .40 caliber pushes the limits of the P-Series design.

You should be "obsessive about reliability". This is the #1 consideration in a defesive weapon IMHO.

If you have to go .40, I'd go P40, not PM40. If you can go 9mm, I recommend the P9 100%. Good luck.

4. kraigster414

kraigster414

Glock grip reduction? Can you tell me more about this. This is the first I have heard of this. Thanks.

5. TJS

TJS

in fact, if you go to Lone Wolf Distributors on the web, I believe they offer it. Or go to Google and it will tell you of some others. It's not cheap though, usually about $200. But then again, how much is reliability worth?????

TJS

6. kraigster414

kraigster414

Did some research already. Seems like Burns and Robar are the big 2. Which is best? I will check out the site. Thanks! This may just be the answer I am looking for.

7. TJS

TJS

I once had a buddy of mine experiment with another G27, he took out that hump and filled it in with plastic. In fact, go onto Brownells.com and they give you step by step instructions on how to do it yourself!
    Good luck and enjoy the Glock!
    TJS

8. kraigster414

kraigster414

You are talking to a guy who is severely tool challenged! I'd rather let the pros do the work despite the cost. Is Burns still in business? That leaves Lone Wolf and Robar. I like the price of the former. Would like to hear from anyone who has had the work done. Call me clueless but I had no idea a grip reduciton was an option. Where have I been!!

9. RonRC

RonRC

As much as I love my Kahr P9, when I shoot 40, I use a Springfield XD 40, service with 4" barrel. The grip fits my small hand much better than did my Glock 26, and the XD has been absolutely, perfectly reliable for me. It is also a lot less expensive than the Kahr.
    Also, I bought an aftermarket 9 mm barrel for the XD 40, so I can shoot inexpensive 9 mm ammo all day without problem. That gives me a 2 in 1 gun for less cost than a Kahr 40.
    This is not meant to be negative to the Kahr, and the Kahr is my carry gun, but it is just an alternative.
    Ron

10. G-Bone

G-Bone the 29 is fine

Keep the Glock and have the grip reworked. They can shave and shape it to fit most folks with smaller hands. The MP40 would be a great BUG to the G27, IMHO.
    ~2

11. mpholic

mpholic

I have a K40 and it has been 100% reliable as has my MK9. My dilemna is I like the Glock trigger better than the Kahr trigger. I know this is contrary to most peoples preferences. I have a G36 and enjoy shooting it very much but still feel uncomfortable with the other Glock grips. I am investigating having "Elite" triggers installed on my Kahr in an effort to bring them closer to the G36 (standard) trigger.

12. TJS

TJS

Might want to try that!
    By the way, is Kahr ever gonna make a .45 auto (not the Thompson)?

13. cpirtle

cpirtle

Yes :cool:

14. Tito

Tito

When knew that when you said your hands are too small for the G27!

(sorry, I couldn't resist;f )