close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glock 27 or Kahr K40 Recoil Questions

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Gunnersmate4, Mar 13, 2010.

1. Gunnersmate4

Gunnersmate4

Ok, so I have 2 G23's and love both of them. I also have a Kahr K40 which is a great gun as well. I carry the G23 but was thinking about getting a Glock 27 and trading the Kahr K40. I've heard the G27 recoil is snappy and uncontrollable...my question is, how snappy? How is it compared to the G23, or the Kahr K40. I don't find the recoil bad on the Kahr K40 and I used to have the Kahr CW40 with the polymer frame and didn't find that bad either. So all you G27 owners out there, should I trade the Kahr for a G27? Is the recoil on the 27 less or more than on the Kahr K40 or CW40? Help me out guys. Thanks

2. liljojo4711

liljojo4711

"snappy" and "lots" of recoil are going ot be subjective. u really need to rent one or borrow one and shoot it urself. i have a 27 and feel its snappy but comfortable and this is my first handgun experience. i obviously dont have anything to compare it too though.

3. jj40

jj40

I have a G27 and my cousin who I go shooting with most of the time has a G23, I feel about the same amount of recoil on both models and for some reason I shoot my 27 better.

4. CoLoSSaL Uprising

CoLoSSaL Uprising

My K40 is the best gun I have ever owned, and I have owned a ton, including Glocks. I wouldn't recommend trading it if it were me.

I will keep my K40 till my dying day.
    [​IMG]

5. turbo54

turbo54

I don't know what it is about the 27... It IS snappy. I'm not recoil sensitive, and I can handle the 27 just fine, but compared to an XD40 subcompact, its harder to control. The 27 is much wilder than a model 30. I even think the 27 is nastier than my model 20!

6. Gunnersmate4

Gunnersmate4

I agree, the K40 is a great gun, I just think I would be able to carry and conceal the G27 better. I love the way the Kahr shoots and don't want to trade for a G27 if the 27 turns out to be a gun I cant enjoy shooting at the range. I want it to be comfortable like the Kahr is, I don't consider myself recoil sensitive, but want something that will be a good compliment to the Glock 23.

7. CoLoSSaL Uprising

CoLoSSaL Uprising

The K40 is a lot thinner than the Glock.

8. Goldstar225

Goldstar225 NRA member

I owned a 27 for several years and didn't find the recoil (or accuracy) to be noticeably different from my 23. With that said, it also didn't conceal much better than the 23. For that reason I sold the 27 and bought a S&W 642 for pocket carry. I'm in the process of buying a Kahr 40 cal because it will conceal better than the 27 or 23 (the 23 stays).

9. Gunnersmate4

Gunnersmate4

My biggest problem with the K40 and the Glock 23 is the butt of the gun sometimes sticks out. I like the idea of the shorter grip of the 27 even after I put the grip extension on it. I'm just not sure I wanna give up the Kahr, but keeping both isn't really an option. If I want the 27 for the summer, I have to get rid of the Kahr.

10. CoLoSSaL Uprising

CoLoSSaL Uprising

I tuck the butt of my kahr below the belt in waste band with a high desert leather tuckable holster - whether I tuck my shirt in or not.

It is perfect.

11. cmcinc

cmcinc

I have no experience with the Kahr, but I have both the 23 and 27 and have no problem shooting either of them well. Try and rent/use one and see for yourself. Good luck.

12. JBP55

JBP55

The G27 is snappier than a G23 and the grip is almost as long with the magazine extension. Shoot a G27 and you May want to keep the Kahr and the G23. I know I would.

13. SouthernBoyVA

SouthernBoyVA

I have a G27 to go with my two G23's, and a K40 Elite '98. The G27 does not create any problems with recoil - unless you're recoil-sensitive. Try to hold onto your K40 if you can and get a G27 on the side. The K40 is a fine piece.

14. mteagle1

mteagle1

I think snappy is subjective. I broke in my new G27 with 200 rounds and had 2 D's on a D1 at 10 yards.

15. MartinRiggs1987

MartinRiggs1987

I’ve fired both the Glock 23 and 27. The 23 is midsized, and its recoil is noticeable. For a better feel, I recommend the 23C. The gun is more balanced (in its feel and weight) given its design. As for the subcompact, the 27 does take some getting used to. It shoots on par with the 26, but stamina for the uninitiated… will wane after 50 rounds. The 27 will take a bite out of your hand (the longer you shoot). The recoil of the 36, is more mild by comparison. But with practice, it does get better.

If thinness is a factor, have you considered the Walther PPS 40 S&W? Its recoil is less daunting (depending on who you ask), and is much easier to conceal, given its width. If that’s a priority. The PPS goes for between $525-$560 NIB (if you peruse on Gunbroker). It is $30 to $50 more than a G27, but given your concerns, it may be worth your money.

The HK P2000SK 40 is another possibility. It has been cited for its diminished recoil, in several reviews. Along with claims of great accuracy. Its price is in the $800-$850 range. So they aren’t cheap.

And since you’re a Kahr guy, I’m surprised you haven’t mentioned the Kahr PM40 or MK40. They appear to be around $650-$750 for a new one. The dimensions are identical to the 9mm models. That would certainly fit, in your size department. From what I’ve read, the MK40 or PM40 would appear to conceal easier, than the Glock subcompacts. The issue with these is recoil. And frankly, I don’t know enough about it. But given your love of Kahr, and everything else you’ve said. I’d give these a look too. Hope that helps.

M

16. Pylot7

Pylot7

I had a Kahr MK40. That thing was snappy! My totally subjective test is can I get two shots off quickly and accurately. With the MK40 I could not.

With a 27 I can. In fact I can shoot the 27 one handed easily. Don't know what the big difference is but for me the 27 is a superior handgun.

17. Glock30 Guy

Glock30 Guy XD40

If you practice with the G27 the recoil will not seem so bad. I felt it at first but then after a few months it became one of my favorite carry guns.

18. MartinRiggs1987

MartinRiggs1987

How snappy exactly? Anyone else shot a MK40 or PM40?

M

Last edited: Mar 14, 2010
  19. rfd339

rfd339

I have 2 g27's and have owned them and my other 40sw pistols since 2003 and find them with practice , they are very controllable and easy to carry and recoil disappears.

20. "Cold Dead Hands" !

"Cold Dead Hands" !

I rented & shot a G27 without pinky-grip-extention.
    It was surprisingly, quite a handfull to control, compared to my G23.
    But, you can adapt to anything with practice.

G26 9mm might be the best compromise between the two ?

If you are a Cop, who needs maximum, point-blank-range stopping power, you might be better off with the .40 cal.
    Otherwise, I would go with the 9mm.
    The best 9mm JHP's are atleast 75% as good as the best .40's, but with far less recoil.

Surprisingly, shooting them all side by side, the S&W M&P compact 9mm was superior to both of the Baby Glocks, in both accuracy & recoil control !

Last edited: Mar 14, 2010