close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glock 27 or 30, Please HELP!!!!

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by BlindBoyJoe, Jul 11, 2002.

1. BlindBoyJoe

BlindBoyJoe

I am looking to expand my glock collection. I am looking to either get a glock 27 or glock 30. My question is what do I get? I am looking for a gun that is accurate, has the least amount of recoil and is the most dependable (I know all glocks are). I will be using the weapon for camping and backpacking to fend off animals and people out in no man's land!! Any feed back is appreciated!!!!;b

2. Jad

Jad G23 Owner

Well, personally the Sub-Compact Glocks do not fit at all in my hand, but I know some who have them and are happy. If you tried it out and don't mind the short grip, I would get the 27. I shot the 30 and did not like it one bit. It really felt unstable in my hand and just would rather have the 27 if I was getting a sub-compact. For backpacking and stuff, ever thought of something like a Ruger SP101 .357mag? Personally I tote my G23 when I do stuff like that. =) Hope this helps some. Jad

3. Hihopoly

Hihopoly

G30 is more accurate, less recoil, more dependable than G27.

The G30 fits your description of requirements best. And since deep concealment is not required for you (?) for backpacking & camping the G27 has no real advantage, unless you are a hard core minimalist trying to save a few ounces in gear weight. Plus you can go to .45 Super.

4. Jad

Jad G23 Owner

The G30, isn't that the baby .45? That has less recoil than the G27? That is interesting, I only shot the G30 and it was not too fun. I guess I don't know enough about this comparison. Jad

5. SLCGlock27

SLCGlock27

I own a G27 and my shooting buddy owns a G30. We talk often about how the perceived recoil on his G30 is much less then the G27. It is a little heavier and wider then the G27. I have smaller hands and a smaller build so I went with the G27 as my carry firearm. However, I definately agree with other posters here about the recoil feeling less with the G30. But I definately wouldn't trade in my G27.... perhaps I will just have to add a G30 to my collection. ;P

6. IA Glocker

IA Glocker

I own both, and the 30 would be a better fit for your stated requirements. I agree with the others on this thread who say that it has less recoil than its .40 cal cousins. I have several Glocks, but if I could only pick one to own, it would be the 30.

7. Poohgyrr

Poohgyrr GEC #15 sheepsfoot

Beneath the old oak tree at Sutter's Fort
    I was chatting with a rangemaster from another local agency recently. He told me almost all of their women have switched to G30's because of less recoil and better performance (the shooter, not the round). I know my G27 is surprisingly easy to shoot, but if the G30 is that good, then what is there to worry about.....

8. Eddie C.

Eddie C. Administrator Moderator CLM

I own both and also the 36. The 45 is not a big recoil round. I think it has to do with the speed of the 40, it's recoil is much sharper. I have magazine extensions from pearce on all 3 actually. They help quite a bit as I also have very large hands. I think in bear or cougar country you would be better served with a 44 magnum in say a 4" bbl. But out of the ones you picked I would go with the 30 probably Gastons' best gun yet for all around use.:)

9. jkbales

jkbales Shootist

Seriously, my G30 outshoots all my other Glocks. Maybe I just got a good one, and the 3.5# connector and action job didn't hurt, either.

10. Jad

Jad G23 Owner

haha jkbales...I love your avatar...eagle eating Osama. :cool:

11. MarkCO

MarkCO CLM Millennium Member

Ransom rest tests do not support that the G30 is more accurate than the G27. It does have a slightly longer sight radius. Less perceived recoil, in part is due to the pressure differences and spring set ups. As far as dependabilty, I highly doubt that the G30 could be considered more reliable than the G27.

As far as the choice, the G30 is slightly larger, and with 185-200 grain +Ps, does not lack in the energy department with the G27. I find many people who prefer the G27 over the G30 and vice versa. Try to shoot both and make your decision based and which one shoots best for you.

12. jchen

jchen

Just my opinion...but for the purposes you want I would go with the G-29, 10mm. It's the same size as the 30 and appears to have lees muzzle flip than the 27, yet quite a bit more powerful. I don't know what you expect to find in the woods...two legged critters or four, but the 10 mm will defeintely do the job.

13. MStarmer

MStarmer In Jail...

I've owned both and I would suggest the 27 for your purposes. For one the 27 is small, lighter, more concealable, as is the ammunition. The G30 is a fine weapon but a little big in my opinion. I doubt the G30 is anymore reliable or accurate than any other glock. I like the 27 because it fills more than one role for me, small powerful and a decent capicity without getting banned mags. But I do back mine up with a pre-ban G22mag and I'm set. I never wore my 30 on my ankle or in my pocket. It just depends on which one you shoot best and like the best. I prefer a higher velocity round, especially against animals, something light (150gr) and fast. Animals such as cougar and the like are probably tougher than most humans and thicker. Just things to consider. I may even carry FMJ in wooded areas.

14. commander

commander

I completely agree with MarkCO and would add that you should probably have both a 30 & 27. I have a 27 and my next one will be a 30.

Without the rest, I find both to be very accurate for a combat handgun.

15. DAVEKO

DAVEKO Deceased Millennium Member

Wow, alot of us think alike, I've got both the G30 and the G27 but now mainly carry the G30. I like em both, many thousands of rounds out of each one........;f The G30 spoiled me on recoil and the G27 will sit in back up or in the safe most of the time, however, ask me again tomarrow and I might be packin the G27 and the G30 gets a rest. Get both great pistols........;f If it helps the G27 can shoot .40, and with a barrel change the .357sig, and 9mm (115 grainers up to 180 grainers) The G30 can shoot the .45acp, .45 tactical, and with a spring change only it shoots the .45super, 450smc, and with a barrel and spring change it can shoot the .400 corbon and the .40 super (135 grainers up to 230 grainers)
    I like the middle weights for defense so I shoot better with the Pro Load 200 +p Gold Dots in .45acp G30 and Pro Load 165 Gold Dots in the G27. Mepro. night sights, Blade Tech iwb holsters and spare mag/surefire 6p light holders are used for both the G30 and G27 along with Wolff Gunsprings non captured guide rods and heavier springs.
    I started with the G27 and bought the G30 later, I should have got them both at the same time.....;f Accuracy, dependability/reliability goes to both in equal amounts.....Both conceal well but the G27 beats the G30 in that case, and the nice little snap the G27 gets, well, the G30 wins that one with less felt recoil to me.........Good luck picking the one to start with....dave..

16. EagleTactical

EagleTactical

I just bought a 27 an a 30. I don't think you will be diappointed with either. If you are going to carry this gun everyday, get the 27. It's very, very concealable.

17. Fleming

Fleming

For my money the Glock 33 in .357 Sig would be the choice. Same size as the G27 but hotter round. Surprizing mild recoil for this round. Owned a Sig229 in same caliber and it was abusive to shot-high bore hand axis with plenty of muzzle lift. The Glocks just handle recoil of any caliber better. Never tried the small 10mm-saw a used one at gun store last week. The G27/33 is much smaller, lighter and easier to conceal-my daily carry gun. The pearce grip extensions really change the handling.

Thanks,
    Blacksmith