close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glock 27 Gen4 Failure to Feed with Glock +2 Extention

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by RLZIII, Apr 21, 2012.

1. RLZIII

RLZIII

I recently purchased a Glock OEM +2 magazine extension for my new Glock 27 Gen4. Previous to installing the extension, I had fired around 500 rounds through the pistol with no problems using two stock magazines, and one magazine equip with a Pearce +0 extension. After installing the extension and a NY1 trigger spring, I took the pistol out to the range today. I fired 160 rounds through the weapon with two failures to feed. Everything except the extension and NY1 trigger spring are stock.

I was shooting American Eagle FMJ 180gr, and with both FTFs I was shooting the gun strong hand only (I practiced with 50 rounds strong only; the other 110 rounds were with two hands or weak hand only). The FTFs happened two magazines apart; both times the FTFs happened around the third or fourth round (the magazines started fully loaded with one extra round in the chamber to simulate my planned carry mode, 11+1).

With all of that out of the way: I think the FTFs may have been my fault. There were no FTFs when firing with two hands, neither was there any failures when shooting left handed. I haven't had a history of limp wrist with pistols, even subcompacts, and I have shot this Glock strong-hand only before with no problems. I plan to go back to the range soon, and I will get more results then. However, I wanted some opinions about what else could be causing the problem, so I know what I should be focusing on (other then making sure to grip the pistol better with my right hand). I have heard that aftermarket magazine extensions aren't a great idea; however I was shooting with a Glock OEM extension. I doubt that the NY1 trigger spring could have affected anything.

Any words of wisdom, Glockers?

2. voyager4520

voyager4520

The reduced spring strength possibly combined with the oversized protrusions of plastic at the front of the feed lips may have caused the failures to feed. I'm confident that it wasn't caused by American Eagle, that's my primary range ammo and it's never given me a single problem.

Do the G27 magazines have a "1" or a "2" next to the Glock logo on the rear of the magazine? If so they may have protrusions of plastic at the front of the feed lips which are oversized and could cause failures to feed.

You could check the protrusions of plastic at the front of each feed lip. They've been known to cause failures to feed in G22, 23, and 32 magazines which aren't sprung as heavily as the sub-compact magazines per capacity. It's likely that by increasing the capacity and therefore reducing the spring strength, the protrusions of plastic were allowed to slow feeding just enough to cause a few failures to feed. Once those protrusions are shaved down, the magazine should function properly. I've had two brand new G23 magazines, one with a "1" next to the Glock logo and another with a "2" next to the Glock logo, fail to feed when the rest of my magazines functioned fine. I shaved down those protrusions and they both work flawlessly now.

G23 and G27 magazines share the same 9-coil spring, and G23 magazines work fine in a G27 so there shouldn't be any need to use stronger springs.

If you decide to shave down those protrusions, here are some pictures showing them pretty clearly. Never mind the instructions in the picture, just shave them down until the magazine works properly. You don't have to worry about removing too much, the magazine will work even if they're removed entirely. There's one of these protrusions at the front of both the left and right feed lips, and both likely need to be shaved down.
    [​IMG]

And in this picture I colored in the surfaces of plastic that you shave down:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 22, 2012

3. tacops5372

tacops5372

I could be mistaken so correct me if I'm wrong? The Glock +2 oem extension was made to fit 2 rounds in a 9mm and only +1 in the 40's. Making it 10 in the magazine +1 in the pipe. If your shoving 11 in the magazine it might be to much and the extra round is causing the issues?

4. RLZIII

RLZIII

From what I understand, the Glock +2 adds two rounds to 9mm Para, .40 S&W, and .357 SIG pistols. It adds only one round to .45 GAP pistols, and no rounds to .45 ACP and 10mm (not sure about .380 ACP; but I'd have to imagine that it would add two rounds).

http://www.lonewolfdist.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=725199&CAT=3685