Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wanting to purchase a compact 40 and will be a model 27. The plan is to also purchase a 357 sig barrel for it. Do you all have a preference on gen3 or 4 if doing the conversion? The conversion thing will be new to me. From what I understand, the only difference in current 357 sig and 40 Gen 4 models is the ejector. However, most people state you don’t have to change ejectors. Same magazines, same height sights work for both calibers. Just a simple barrel swap? Only difference in gen3 gen4 Glocks is texture, grip size and changeable back straps? I am wanting the 40 mostly as I like the caliber and thought why not get the sig barrel while at it but will mostly be running 40 since I already have 2 other 40’s. Any and all info would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
My recent Glock .40 caliber purchases have all been gen4 models due to the structural changes that Glock has made to the gen 4 .40's.

I have gen 3 .40 Glocks and will make no changes to them with the availability of the gen 4. There are no fleas on the gen 3's just IMHO why not take advantage of some Glock engineering changes that seem reasonable.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My recent Glock .40 caliber purchases have all been gen4 models due to the structural changes that Glock has made to the gen 4 .40's.

I have gen 3 .40 Glocks and will make no changes to them with the availability of the gen 4. There are no fleas on the gen 3's just IMHO why not take advantage of some Glock engineering changes that seem reasonable.
I own 2 gen4 19’s, a gen4 30 and really do like them and prefer them to gen3. Without ever doing a conversion to 357 sig, I just wasn’t sure if there were any advantages of either the gen3 or Gen 4 if doing the conversion. Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
All my glocks are 3 or 4 and I don't think you can go wrong with either, even in terms of the conversion. That being said I tend to lean towards the gen3's.

·
Banned
6,833 Posts
A Gen3 G27 with G33 barrel is every single part identical including rear sight elevation to a Gen3 G33 except for model and caliber markings on the left side of the slide. The same is true for a Gen4 G27 except the 30499 ejector of the Gen4 G33 differs very slightly in the slope of its tip face from the 28926 Gen4 G27 ejector. The difference may be ignored.

Your selection will be based only on Gen4 features that the Gen3 model lacks:
1. Modular Backstraps, including a beavertail version.
2. Improved grip texture.
3. Larger Magazine Catch that may be configured to either side of the grip.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A Gen3 G27 with G33 barrel is every single part identical including rear sight elevation to a Gen3 G33 except for model and caliber markings on the left side of the slide. The same is true for a Gen4 G27 except the 30499 ejector of the Gen4 G33 differs very slightly in the slope of its tip face from the 28926 Gen4 G27 ejector. The difference may be ignored.

Your selection will be based only on Gen4 features that the Gen3 model lacks:
1. Modular Backstraps, including a beavertail version.
2. Improved grip texture.
3. Larger Magazine Catch that may be configured to either side of the grip.
Thank you very much Mike-M. It’s what I needed to know. Comes down to personal preference. Appreciate it.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
My first Glock was a G27 Gen3.
I devoted much time and many rounds of ammo to "master" that pistol... but never loved it, due to "snappy" recoil and the Gen3 frame being too thick for my grip.
Also found that the Gen3 frame (with the .40 cal) would slip and slide in my hand (hot summer day, firing quickly)

When Glock introduced the Gen4 frame.. I was overjoyed! I'm all about the Gen4, no matter the model.

·
In The Saddle
8,685 Posts
I like the Gen 3 G27. It shoots well and very accurate little gun, it's six of one, half a dozen of the other, on the 'Gen,'s, IMO...

CM
:horse:

·
Venor ergo sum
Gun control is about CONTROL.
4,352 Posts
In the subcompact Glocks I prefer gen 3. A gen 3 G27 is my everyday carry gun.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I prefer a Gen 3 after having a little work done to it. I have the finger bumps removed and a panel stippled in it's place. I have a scallop cut done around the Magazine Release. I have the side panels stippled to be non slippery, but not rough enough to wear clothing. I have the front panel done more aggressively than the side panels.
I also run a one piece steel Guide Rod with Wolfe Recoil Spring.

When I went to a concealed carry Glock I started with a G27.4. It was accurate but I did not warm up to the short grip, and a magazine extension defeated the purpose of a Sub-Compact Glock. NOTE: I do not just carry, I shoot a lot. I traded it for a G23.4 that I liked much better than the G27. The last two or three years I have carried a G38.3 which is the same basic size as a G23. Note the G38 is a Compact size Glock in 45 GAP if you did not already know this.

NOTE: My first Glock was a very early G22. I am guessing it was a Gen 2. I had a several year period without a Glock before getting the G27.4. I packed a Cold 1911 full size or a revolver before the G27.

After getting my first Gen 3 I found a few things that were different.
The Gen 4 had the changeable back-straps (I never used them) The Gen 3 back-strap area feels fine to me.
The Side Panel Finish of the Gen 4 is an improvement over the Gen 3, and needs no improvement for my use. The Gen 3 side panels need stippled to be more grippy. They are Way to slippery.
The Gen 3 does not requiring an adapter to run a One Piece Guide Rod, which I like better. The Adapter is no big deal however.
I like both the Gen 3 and Gen 4 better without the Finger Bumps.

Bottom Line the Gen 3 and Gen 4 are both great handguns. Either should serve you well.

Bob R

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
I actually prefer Gen2.5 G27, but they're hard to find. So, if 3 or 4, I'd go with Gen3. Just my preference after a bad experience with a Gen4 G19.

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
I'd say go with the Gen 3. Unlike the Gen 4's I've had, I never had to tinker with a Gen 3. Every Gen 4 I've had required some changes to make them work properly, just bad luck I guess. I won't own another. At some point, maybe a Gen 5, but for now they aren't making any in .40, so that point is moot for now.

Reactions: archery68

·
Registered
372 Posts
I own a Gen3 27 which has been my off-duty pistol for the longest time and now that I'm retired, its my EDC. After having handled Gen4 pistols, I would buy them over the Gen3's. Better grip, mag release, and backstraps available.

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
G27.3 with Pearce plus 2 base plate all day. Ive had it 11 years now and love it.

I also have G19.4, it has a place in my EDC rotation.

Reactions: archery68
1 - 16 of 16 Posts