close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glock 27 failure to feed on last round only

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by frym, Mar 28, 2007.

1. frym

frym

Got a used 27 with 2 maga. in great shape, shoots great, accurate, shot about 100 rounds at least of Winchester FMJ target loads, flat nose. But it fails to feed the last round from the magazine. This is on both mags., both mags have a + 0 Pierce pinkie extension. This is the only problem and it is consistent. Slide hangs open on the last round. Pushing the slide in does not do it, I have to pull it back to have it chamber. There are no other failures, only on the last round. Any help, ideas? Behaves fine when full magazine is hand cycled in the gun.

2. Blitzer

Blitzer Cool Cat

Replace the magazine springs. ;)

3. walkin' trails

walkin' trails

Replace the followers also.

4. 4eyes

4eyes Provocateur

I had this prob with a G23 after many rounds shot. Stretching the mag springs about 30 to 40% allowed 2 to 3K more rounds to be shot before restretching. I put over 20K through the gun without buying new mag springs or followers.

5. coverdog

coverdog Platinum Member

Are you using a stock recoil spring?

6. 4eyes

4eyes Provocateur

Yep. I shoot lots of rounds through Glocks and have never bought a mag spring.

7. frym

frym

Spring is stock. Took the mags apart and all is clean. I do think it is a follower problem, i.e., bad design.

8. KTGlock

KTGlock G27

The new followers have a 7 on them. My 6 followers feed fine though.

9. anyplainjoe

anyplainjoe Nobody special.

Why do you feel is is a bad design...Glock has made zillions which work fine. The follow just positions the bullet, the spring gets it up in time for the slide to insert it into the barrel. If the last round is left often the spring can't get it "up" in time to meet the slide.

The upgrade numbers are just done to continually make things better and accommodate new HP designs.

Many times last round problems are due to the mag spring-once it starts to be uncompacted it looses what little umph it has left (no matter what brand of gun we're talking about).

As an FYI, the old NFML mags use followers up to #5, the FML mag go 6+. We're now up to 8.
    Give it a try!

10. frym

frym

I have no doubt zillions work, by BOTH of mine don't. Hard to swallow the bad spring, since on first sight the spring looks pretty tight/stout and it takes some effort to load. Most importantly my both my mags. to my ancient Ruger P89 9mm have not crapped out, and neither have my the springs to the four mags. of my almost as old Norinco .45 (2 original mags, and two Shooting Star mags.)

Great that the Glock followers are continually updated for new HP designs, but both my mags. fail to load simple Winchester FMJ target loads from Wal-Mart. Last round only of course, and very consistent at it.

11. anyplainjoe

Your symptoms match the spring problem. Both mags, last round (that's the key). Just because the rounds SEEM hard to load doesn't mean the spring is ok.

I just tried an ancient, NFML mag the other day in which some rounds were nose diving. I thought spring, called Glock, they thought spring too. Had a brand new G27 mag that wouldn't feed the last round...spring.

But do what you want, I'm just trying save you some time and money.

12. frym

frym

I do appreciate your input very much. I do wonder why my Glock springs might be failing while the mag. springs on all my other older semi-autos are not. This Glock was made in 2003, I cannot consider that old.

13. anyplainjoe

Some springs(regardless of brand last 50 years, some are defective right away, some die on a predictable schedule, there's no rhyme or reason.

14. ppd1108

ppd1108

My G-27 goes through mag springs all the time. If I don't replace them about once every 9 months or so, the last round in the mag will start not to feed. BTW the G-27 uses the same mag springs as the G-23 which to me means that it is possible the springs are being compressed too much in the G-27 mags.

15. frym

frym

If this is true, and I have seen others mentions of weak mag. springs on other postings on this forum, then this a problem. No two ways about it. I am somewhat new to Glocks, this G27 is my first Glock. I know there is a love/hate divide in the gun world over Glock. I think they are very ergonomic, point well, very accurate, l love the simplicity of design and the limited number of moving parts. While not the most stylish, I do not think they are ugly. BUT this mag. thing is nonsense.

There is a rhyme/reason with my other mags for my other semi-autos (I have not even mentioned my .380s and .22s): they are not failing and are older. I also have Mauser/Luger 9mm with two original mags I got from my dad, and that feeds fine! Those mags (granted they are single stack) are easily 50+ years old.

HAVING TO CHANGE SPRINGS OUT EVERY 9 MONTHS IS NOT GOOD BY ANY DEGREE OF JUDGEMENT.

16. ppd1108

ppd1108

I don't think it is too bad with Glock selling the springs for about 3 bucks. Anyway it is just something to be aware of. BTW I change spings out in my G-21 every year so I don't think that 9 months is too much shorter then that.

17. anyplainjoe

The G27 and G36s can be pains. Since I switched out the 27's mag spring a while back, it's never acted up again. Don't read too much into things, I think when your spring is swapped out you'll be happy for many YEARS. Alot of folks here perform anystep of preventative maintenance possible-its not always manaditory-so pls don't get the wrong impression. We're the top 1% of super Glock geeks. Call Glock's customer service dept, they'll prob mail you a freebee.