close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glock 27 Difficulties

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by alexhartang, May 20, 2012.

1. alexhartang

alexhartang

I'm hoping someone can answer this for me...I apologize if this has been asked or answered before.

When i load my 27's magazine to capacity (all 9 rounds), insert it into the mag well and rack the slide to load the first round into the chamber, it gives me the hardest time. For some reason it is 9427485675 times harder with 9 than eight. any ideas or insight as to why this is? I've tried switching the magazine springs, several different magazines, and just loading eight rounds. Loading the eight is a ton easier, so for some reason that ninth bugger doesnt like to rack up. I've been trying to find out why for the longest time and cant lol. please help or i might go crazy!

2. sawfiler

sawfiler

normal and should get easier with time.

3. alexhartang

alexhartang

I read that through some research, and it made sense so i went with it, only its probably had 1,500 -2k rounds through it and this magazine has been used for ccw continuously loaded for long periods of time...still need time do you think? (honest question no sarcasm)

4. sig357fan

sig357fan

lock your slide back before inserting the mag, then hit the slide release or "sling-shot" the slide to load the first round.

sig357fan

5. ADK_40GLKr

ADK_40GLKr Adirondacker with a Glock

Alex, mine did the same thing with one magazine in particular. This seems to happen to the 27, just because of the measurements involved. When I took the mag apart, I found there were some plastic burrs, interfering with proper seating of the spring, and as a result the cartridges could not go as far down into the mag as they should. I trimmed around where the spring seats in the floor plate AND the follower and when I reassembled it, there was more headspace.

What is happening to your slide is that the "stripper", that ramped silver colored bar in the bottom of the slide, is hitting against that top round, and can't get by - there just isn't enough space when the mag is too tight.

Let me know if this works. It did for me with my Gen 4 G27.

Edit: I resorted to Sig's idea a lot, and still prefer that method of reloading, but one day I felt like a wimp for not being able to rack the slide and took a serious look at the mag.

Last edited: May 20, 2012
  6. ZekerMan

ZekerMan ZekerMan

This will for sure fix the problem^^^^^^^^^.........

7. barth

barth six barrels

+1 - sort of...
    I agree, except for I forget the Hollywood slingshot stuff.
    My Kahr manual specifically states to not slingshot.
    I've stopped that practice with all my autos.

Just use the slide releases and let the gun load itself like it was designed to do.

Last edited: May 21, 2012
  8. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

When you insert a magazine, the top round rests on the "stripper rail" on the slide, exerting pressure on it. A full mag exerts more pressure, as there is no give left on the mag spring. Try this and you will see:

1. load 8 rounds into the magazine.
    2. press down on the top round. Feel the give?
    3. now load the 9th round.
    4. press down on the top round. Feel the difference?

The "Sling Shot" stuff is not Hollywood. It is the way Glock trains folks to chamber a round. Actually it's an overhand grip with the weak hand, pulling the lide back all the way and releasing it full force to better seat the new round. It is a gross motor skill, not a fine motor skill, and may someday save your life.

When using a Kahr, follow the Kahr manual. When using a Glock, do it the Glock way.

9. Beretta92guy

Beretta92guy

when i got my new G27 a couple weeks ago and loaded it for the first time, i thought i was going to have to get Hercules to pull the slide back and put the first round in......

several hundred rounds later it is a lot easier.......

10. twag4

twag4

Honestly not trying to be a smart a**, but what does kahr think their slide is doing during firing? It goes full rearward from shot fired, then forward under spring power from full rearward position. The slingshot method mimics this without wearing the slide stop notch in the slide, or the slide stop lever itself. I wonder why they would say that in their manual.

11. barth

barth six barrels

Holy )U_&)_(

OK, I stand corrected.
    Let me be specific.
    I think the Kahr manual is talking about dropping a round in the camber first with an open slide and then dropping the slide.
    Maybe hard on the extractor or something.
    May have been mistaken about slingshot.
    I'd have to go back and check on that.

I always use a locked slide to load.
    Seems like a slingshot could possibly not load where
    releasing a locked slide might be more reliable.

Update:
    Double checked Kahr manual.
    It specifically says don't slingshot as the gun may not completely go into battery.
    What a surprise - LOL!

12. Opie 1 Kenopie

Opie 1 Kenopie Regular Guy

Actually it's the "slingshot" that is more reliable to reload since you're using that gross motor skill like DannyR talked about AND pulling that slide back an extra fraction of and inch.

And since we've successfully hijacked this thread and are almost in Cuba, this method should NOT be performed with the strong hand pushing out while the weak hand pulls back the slide. THAT is a good way to launch your pistol onto the deck if you ever do it with wet hands.

The proper term is the Overhand Method where one holds the pistol stationary in the strong hand and pulls back the slide with the weak hand, ending with that hand kind of slapping your chest a little to prevent the possibility of riding the slide forward. With Glocks it's also a smart move to incorporate a quick chop to the back of the slide to ensure the pistol is in full battery. Watch Costa and Haley use this method on a Magpul video sometime and see how lighting fast it can be.

13. barth

barth six barrels

That's assuming you do it properly.
    A newbie that is having tough time with basic skills may not
    pull the slide back all the way causing possible failure to go into battery.

I'm not discounting clearing drills.
    But for someone new,
    the chance of using the slide release properly is greater than slingshot for a no stress initial load - IMHO.

I stand by my recommendation.

14. scosgt

scosgt

No, Kahr tells you NOT to slingshot because on some of their guns the extra little bit of slide seems to cause the top round to nosedive and not feed. My MK9 does not have this issue and works either way. But Kahr has an offset feedramp and the bullets essentially bounce into the chamber.
    Yes, when firing the slide does go all the way back, but recoil also bounces the top round in the mag a bit, so I suspect that is why it works.

In general, slingshot is the proper way to feed an automatic.

15. barth

barth six barrels

I was quoting verbatim from my MK40 Elite manual.
    "Do not chamber a round by pulling back on the slide and letting go of the slide. This may cause the slide to not go fully into battery."

16. rotjovi

rotjovi

Yep!!! What he said!!!

17. truetopath

truetopath

+1 I always sling shot my 27, no issues...of course it stays loaded most the time.

18. IronRonin

IronRonin

For ANY new glock mag, load it to capacity the day you get it, use mag loader if it's being a pain. Let it SIT loaded for a day or so, or until you shoot it. KEEP it loaded full, never download it...that is stupid. The mag spring will relax a bit in due time. If you keep treating it with kid gloves and always downloading it by 1, like many people do, the spring will take forever longer to break in.

19. Duck of Death

Duck of Death

alexhartang

I also shoot a G27 and solved the problem this way:

Take the mag apart look at the follower, see the leg, it's the part that goes toward the bottom of the mag, take a file and remove 1/8" off the leg--put it back together and your problem is solved.

Another tip if the slot between the mag retainer and the G27's mag well is pinching your finger during recoil put a O ring at the bottom of the mag. I slot the round part of the mag so the O ring stays in place.

20. Bello

Bello America/Italia

I just don't understand how hard it can be?