GlockTalk Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
It depends. If you need the extra thinness because you need it then yes. If you want the thinness because it easier to carry then I think you should stick with the baby Glock. I carry a G19 when I'm in normal street clothes. At work I wear dress pants and a tucked in shirt. Baby Glocks are simply too thick for me to carry IWB. The Shield is perfect.

·
539 Posts
There are ALOT of folks on here who love their G26/27's, and I like to shoot mine (own both 26 and 27) but carrying.....not so much anymore. The only single stack 9 I've owned is the G43, but I've handled and shot a Shield, 938, and LC9 (not the S), and they all shot well for me. I've carried a J frame on and off for the last 19 years, and even though the cylinder is pretty thick, it carries very well for me.

All that being said, I'll take my 43 every day and twice on Sunday over my 26/27.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Mostly I CC a G19 equipt with a threaded barrel, +2 magazine extension and a Trijicon RMR. If I need something smaller I carry a G26 with +2 extension magazine. I also have single stacks in a Kahr P9 and Kahr MK9 elite, but I to prefer the extra capacity of the souble stacks.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I have both a G26 and a Shield. When I got the Shield I thought I would prefer to carry it over the G26. It did not turn out that way. The Shield is a great gun, but I can conceal the G26 as easily as the Shield, so the extra rounds and and the GAP baseplates by Concealable Control make the G26 my go to gun often. I will still carry the Shield once in awhile.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I carried a G26 for years and switched to a 9mm Shield a couple years ago. While I loved the capacity and ease of use of the G26, the Shield just carries a lot better for me and shoots just about as well. Sometimes during the summer, when wearing just a t-shirt, the butt of the G26 would print through the shirt (carried IWB at about 4:00 o'clock). The Shield never prints, unless I wear tight shirts and bend way over when carried the same way. The Shield is also more comfortable to carry, all because of how thin it is compared to the G26. I miss the capacity of the G26 and the ability to carry either G17 or G19 mags for reloads, but realistically, how often am I going to need 41 rds (2 G19 mags for reloads) or 45 rds (2 G17 mags for reloads) for CCW? I carry 2 8 rd mags for reloads for the Shield and am fine with that. Now, after getting comfy with the Shield, I'm waiting to actually get my hands on a G43. Pocket carry for me would be an option on occasion and the Shield is just a touch big for that. If the G43 would work in most of my pants pockets, I may well switch again, but I'll have to actually get my hands on one. We'll see and, at this point, I'm not in a real hurry, the Shield just works so well for me.

Bub

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
I carry a G27 with an Alien IWB holster very comfortably and love having that caliber. I also carry a Ruger LC9s Pro which is very thin and lighter than the G27 but the current holster I have for IWB carry isn't that great.

I shoot the G27 a lot better, after all it is a Glock!, but I think with a better holster the Ruger would see more carry time. I need to get more rounds through the Ruger to get connected with it better for the accuracy stuff and I do like the trigger on that Ruger model.

·
Registered
460 Posts
The 26 is incredibly easy to conceal and a lotta gun for the size. Don't understand peoples fascination with single stack 9mms.
In my case it's simple. Kalifornia magazine capacity is 10 rounds - period. So why not go single stack?

·
539 Posts
The 26 is incredibly easy to conceal and a lotta gun for the size. Don't understand peoples fascination with single stack 9mms.
While I agree that the G26 is a great gun, it's not the end all be all concealed carry handgun, and there are a lot of folks (like me) who can conceal it but not comfortably. I've found after 19 years of having a CHL that pretty much every handgun on the market is "concealable", but I've also found that if I can't carry comfortably I won't carry as much. FOR ME, comfort is crucial, and I'm sure I'm not alone.

I carried my G26 in the same style holster (thin kydex IWB) that I carry my G43, and the comfort level of the G43 is drastic. On a side note, I've tried a friends Shield in a similar IWB holster, and it was comfortable too.

Folks need to do what works for them, and just because YOU don't get the fascination with single stack 9's doesn't mean it's not the perfect option for someone else.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I've carried both the G26 and the Shield. I like the extra capacity of the Glock, and it's perfect for me in the spring/fall, but in summer, under thinner clothes or less layers, the Shield is easier to carry -- thinner, lighter -- all adding up to it being a bit easier to conceal. A lot of it probably has to do with body shape and dress, too. I think both are great guns. I'd like to check out the 43, too, though it would be about the same as the Shield in terms of use.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I carried both and I prefer the 26. Maybe it's my paranoia but I feel better with more rounds. I have a good holster so the 26 conceals well. The shield does conceal better because of its thin and it is a great firearm. It depends on your body type and where you will be carrying it and whether or not some printing is a problem. I do get minimal printing with 26 when wearing a decently tight t-shrt but nothing extreme. There is barely any printing with a shield. You just have to try both under a shirt or whatever way you gonna carry.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts