close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glock 26 vs MK9

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by DonB, Dec 8, 2003.

1. DonB

DonB

Was wondering how the two weapons compare from someone who owns them or has shot them. Looking for a conceled carry piece. Also your thoughts on the 27 vs. MK40. Thanks

2. LGCubana

LGCubana Guns & Cigars

The Kahrs R a very simple design, just like the Glocks. They handle recoil well. Your biggest decision will be, do U feel comfortable with only 6/7 rds ? Somedays I carry my G 30, on other days I carry 2 MK's. My G 27 has become a safe queen.

3. JCM298

JCM298

DonB,

I had a 26 but sold it to buy a Smith 340SC. Last month, I bought a slightly used Kahr Mk9. It had very few rounds through it as there was very little wear on the hood area of the barrel. (After I was finished shooting, this was more obvious)

I've put about 100 rounds of factory and reloads through it. It's accurate and recoil is OK. The company says to fire 200 rounds for break-in so I'm halfway there. Mine seems to shoot a little to the right but it was a windy day when I tried it so it could have been me.

It conceals a little easier than my 26, primarily because of the size of the grip. Having 7 rounds doesn't bother me because my "always" gun is the Smith 340SC. I think the 26 may be an ounce or two lighter than the Mk9.

So far I like it.

I can't help you re: 27 v Mk40,

John

4. sub40man

sub40man

Don:

I too wrestled with the same problem before deciding on the glock. The MK's felt like metal "cookie cutters" in my hand. Very square and heavy. The glock felt better to hold. The Mk's are very easy to conceal, but I wonder how they would be at the range with 200-300 rounds. I just felt that the glock was a better overall gun for CCW and plinking.

5. Pred8tory

Pred8tory Retired Copper Lifetime Member

While I think the tiny Kahrs are a masterpiece of ingenuity, you have to take a look at the niche' market they are designed for, deep concealment or hot weather CCW. They are competing with .38 j-frames. On the surface this would seem like a no-brainer. A 9mm with more rounds versus a 5-shot .38 snubbie, but there are other factors to consider.

After reading Ed Lovette's excellent new book on the snubnose I clearly saw the beauty of the simplicity of the revolver and it's advantage in speed and reliability. By reliability I am not questioning the quality of the Kahr. A semi-automatic pistol has to be gripped a certain way to be reliable or you could get limp-wrist-induced jams. While this is no problem on the range, it can be in a dimly-lit parking lot with only a second or two to react.

I am not comparing the 9mm vs. .38 Special here. I know the 9mm is more effective out of a short-barreled fiream, but 5-for-sure beats maybe anytime. I recommend anyone comtemplating a purchase to buy this inexpensive book and think it over.

6. Guest

Boy I was all set to get a PM9 or Mk9 this summer, did a ton of research. etc... As the range I go to doesn't have them to rent, I almost bought one untested. But, luckily, at the last minute, I tried one out from a friend. The PM9: man it just didn't feel good in my hands once I pulled the trigger. I was horrible with it, etc... After that, picked up a snubbie. 5 accurate shots with confidence is a whole lot better than misses and stray rounds, legal problems,... Although a bit larger, the snubbie was far better for me. Recommend a g26 and a snubbie, just for the heck of it though.

7. jhfenton

jhfenton Evil Marathoner

A couple of years ago, I was weighing the purchase of either a G26 or an MK9. I ended up getting the G26, and I've been delighted. I have since picked up an MK9 and a G23. I carry all three regularly -- though not usually at the same time. :)

The G26 is more comfortable to shoot and is easier to shoot in rapid fire, especially to a new owner. I have become rather proficient with the MK9, but it took a lot more practice.

Essentially, if I'm wearing a jacket or nice cover garment that I won't be removing, I carry my G23. If I'm wearing pants, but no cover garment, I can carry the G26 IWB with a shirt-tucker or in an ankle holster. If I'm wearing shorts, I can stick the MK9 in a pocket holster in my back pocket.

So, for me, each of the three satisfies a need. And I'm happy with the order of my purchases: G26 > MK9 > G23.

8. DAL

DAL

Excellent advice! A person should be able to cover just about any CCW situation with these two guns.
    DAL