Glock Talk banner
21 - 40 of 66 Posts
Keep encouraging her to get the G26.
Have her read this thread.
The G26 is far more accurate, durable, dependable, higher capacity, and better quality.
A good holster like a Comp-Tac Minataur will make it easier to carry.

The M&P Shield shoots better than the Kahr's.
Better trigger and quality should be better.

[quote="Cold Dead Hands" !;19375662]Keep encouraging her to get the G26.
Have her read this thread.
The G26 is far more accurate, durable, dependable, higher capacity, and better quality.
A good holster like a Comp-Tac Minataur will make it easier to carry.

The M&P Shield shoots better than the Kahr's.
Better trigger and quality should be better.[/quote]

I shot both the Kahr PM9 (very similar to the CW9) and the S&W Shield and absolutely felt that the Shield was a better gun in all aspects. Because many of the Kahrs have an issue racking and loading the first round, Kahr now recommends to lock the slide back first, put in the magazine and then close the slide with the slide release. Even Hickock45 on Youtube runs into the Kahr PM9 not racking and loading a round properly. Will have to see if the issue is the same with the CW9s as is the PM9s.

Take down on the Shield is easy, only one extra step which is to pull down on the sear deactivation lever - this is just so you don't have to pull trigger to disassemble.

If I had to decide between a Glock and the Kahr, I would go Glock, but again, let her check out the Shield. For me, definitely the Shield over the Kahr (My opinion).

If you read any of the internet threads on Kahrs, they have been consistent with my experience - inconsistent. Issues with magazines are all over the place. I'd take a pass until Mr. Moon gets that figured out. G26 is versatile, but was too big for my wife who shoots very little. I ponied up $650 clams for a Sig P238 (380 auto) Equinox and she LOVES it. Picked up the 7-rd mag so it's 7+1 with Buffalo Bore Std and +P - both low muzzle flash and hit with energy > = 9mm Std loads.

Gun has 120 flawless female rounds through it with impressive accuracy. Night sights/fiber optic front is nice too ... size was key. Easily fits in pocket or purse. This keeps her away from my G27.

I'd add that one to your look/feel/shoot list if funds are not an issue. Good luck!

Guys

My girlfriend is buying her first gun

She shot my G26 and liked it but...she is in love with the Kahr since its slimmer ....I told her Glocks are a war tank but you know how women are...lol

Any opinions ??

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
My 75 year old mother, who is 5'2" and has small hands just recently got her ccw and I took her to a local store to handle several and range test her preference. We had been thinking of a Ruger LC9 or Kel-tec PF9 because they are small and slender. She didn't like how the slender sub-compacts felt and ended up range testing a G26. She loved it, though found that the Pierce grip extension on the mag was need to comfortably fire the gun (recoil hurt her pinky finger until the store had her try a magazine with the grip extension). Though she had never fired a semiauto before, she had excellent accuracy with it. The fit of the grip, which filled her hand nicely, the comfort during recoil ( with the mag extension), and her ability to easily get solid hits the first time out, combined with Glock's rep for reliability, made this an easy decision. Moral of the story: be sure to range test before you buy.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Guys

She shot my G26 and liked it but...she is in love with the Kahr since its slimmer ....I told her Glocks are a war tank but you know how women are...lol

Any opinions ??

I just relooked at your thread and realized I don't see anything about the intended purpose of the gun. Guns are like tools - certain tools are better for different jobs.

To help decide where to start looking, she needs to decide how she will use it, i.e., Home Defense, CCW, both HD and CCW, Target and recreational (just shooting with her new man!). Also, if one gun suits her for multiple uses or if she would be better off with 2 to fit specific needs. Then, she can start deciding what gun, or guns, fill her needs and likes better.

My wife enjoyed shooting my Kahr CW9, but she did notice the very stiff recoil spring.

IMO, I think the Glock is a better firearm (capacity, reliability, etc...), but I think the Kahr is a nice gun especially the CW series. The CW series is more appropriately priced; the P series can get ridiculous. Overall you can't go wrong with either.

I put the Hogue grip on mine and must admit it is one of the most comfortable guns in my hand...

Why are YOU asking? What are her questions?

I own both the G26 and the Khar CM9. Not one problem out of either. The Khar does require a break in, with factory rounds no problems. My light match rounds for 9 a few hiccups. Both work great. My wife who owns a 19, is trying to steal my Khar, no interest in the G26.

I introduced my girlfriend To shooting and figured that Glock 9mm was the best choice
First we shot a g26 and she looked at me and said this is not for me I hate shooting an had a tear in her eye.
Before we started to get our stuff and leave the range I said hey just try my g19. I loaded up 5 rounds and she started shooting slow and WOW
She said now this I can shoot, she hit 3 bullseyes that day at 10 yards.
For carry maybe a g26 is good for carry but women at the range can use a 17 or 19

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

the Kahr is a disposable gun, shoot about 500 rounds through it and it is shot out, ready to toss it. I look at people carrying Kahrs as amateurs

Has she racked the slide on the Kahr yet?
Very good point, by the time I broke in my CM9 my hands were like hamburger. It took 300 rounds to get it reliable, never trusted it. Not only are the recoil springs stiff, but the serrations on the slide are very sharp. Kahr mags are very poor quality, rough on the hands again. Not familiar with the Shield, but after a CM9 my 26 felt like a Lexus. If she can handle the thickness of the 26 it is a much better option in my opinion.

Chiming in on this thread because I am a woman and I just chose a gen3 g26 over a Kahr CW9. I had researched the single stack 9mm's out there and couldn't find a S&W M&P Shield to save my soul (I'm also a bit wary of buying the very first run of most any product). Failing that I wanted to compare the Kahrs with the Kelt-Tec PM9 and the Ruger LC9. So I drove to the "big city," and checked out a few gun stores.

I'm a Ruger fan, but the LC9 felt like a plastic toy, had a poor grip, a trigger from hell, and safety that is pretty sticky to use. Next up, the Kel-Tec Pm9. No safety, a bit better trigger (all the single stack 9's seem to have DA trigger), but I was just afraid of relying on it due to the many problems reported with spurious mag ejections.

So it came down to the Kahrs. I knew they are built cheaply and aren't built to last, but I reasoned that a carry pistol needn't last for 10,000 rounds anyway. The problem was, I picked one up. I'm sorry but I need to be able to practice a lot with any carry gun before I potentially rely on it for my life (especially so with these DA only triggered pistols). I just cannot imagine putting hundreds of practice rounds through any of these tiny single stack pistols. My hand gets sore with my full-sized 9mm's after an afternoon at the range. I think they'd get bloodied if I tried to shoot one of these tiny pistols for any reasonable practices sessions.

OK, so there's the handling issues, and those pesky potential reliability problems. But it's still "just" a carry pistol. So I am standing at the gun counter with a Kahr CW9 in my hand. Having handled the other pistols I mentioned, I saw a gen3 G26 on the wall and asked the sales guy to let me compare it to the Kahr, mostly just as a "reference point." Alright, the 26 was a ~bit~ bigger in all dimensions, but to my surprise, it seemed to actually be a bit lighter! So, the 26 immediately entered my arena of carry-capable 9mm semi-auto pistols.

As I say, the 26 wasn't even on my radar when I went shopping. But I am standing there with a Kahr CW9 in one hand and a Glock 26 in the other, wondering, "why am I even considering getting a pistol with questionable quality and reliability (and one that I am convinced would be difficult for me to shoot well) over one with a sterling world-wide reputation for quality and reliability when there is such a slight difference in size and weight?" The facts that the 26 was a slight bit fatter (measured in fractions of an inch) and $150 more compared to the slimmer single-stack seemed to diminish greatly when I asked myself that crucial question.

So I came away with that gen3 G26 and have never looked back. In spite of my initial concerns, the short grip is absolutely no problem for me. I added a Pachmayer grip sleeve and I am shooting this little Baby Glock better than I am my full-sized Walther PPQ 9mm. 500 rounds later , it has eaten up everthing I've fed it without a hiccup, and it conceals quite nicely in my purse, too.

The added confidence I now have in the 26 is worth every penny and ounce. I wouldn't trade my G26 for anything!

Michelle

Glocking in Western Colorado

But I am standing there with a Kahr CW9 in one hand and a Glock 26 in the other, wondering, "why am I even considering getting a pistol with questionable quality and reliability (and one that I am convinced would be difficult for me to shoot well) over one with a sterling world-wide reputation for quality and reliability when there is such a slight difference in size and weight?"
Actually the million dollar question right there ^^^. In the end, slight size differences are meaningless when compared to reliability. I completely agree.

The 2 top guns I decided between was the G26 and the S&W Shield 9. I choose the Shield which has been flawless and is holding up perfectly like a Glock. It just came down to preference for my CCW. But I am happy with my G22 and G19 for HD.

Guys

Any opinions ??

My fiancée carries a PM9 off duty. She likes it alot.

I can't convince her to pick up a Shield.

She doesn't like my 36 I carry off duty and she didn't like the feel of the 26.

is this going to be her carry gun or house gun?

are you going to get her the gun and leave alone without any future assistance in training with it and cleaning it and so on?

21 - 40 of 66 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.