Glock Talk banner

Glock 26 vs Kahr CW9 .. For a WOMAN

13K views 65 replies 53 participants last post by  capnjim01 
#1 ·
Guys

My girlfriend is buying her first gun

She shot my G26 and liked it but...she is in love with the Kahr since its slimmer ....I told her Glocks are a war tank but you know how women are...lol

Any opinions ??

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

#3 ·
My wife loves her G26. Out of the two I would go with the G26. My wife looked at the M&P shield and the first thing she said was if I needed to pull my gun for anything the last thing I need to worry about was a manual safety...

#6 ·
Has she racked the slide on the Kahr yet?
Taken one apart?

How about the same two questions on the shield?

My father, who is quite elderly, has a CW, and a CM, whichever one is smaller, he has issues, with both the take down, and chambering with it. I haven't even seen a shield, just heard the take down for some reason, wasn't simplistic. Again just what I heard.

Nothing wrong with any of the above mentioned, but if this is going to be shot, a lot, my vote would go for the Glock G26. Again just my opinion, and you did mention she liked it!

#7 ·
I havent look into SW...keep suggestions coming

Glock26-KahrP380-AmericanExpress
The M&P Shield is definitely worth looking at for your wife. If you ultimately decide against it because of the safety, then that is fine. I myself like the safety for my CCW gun. The chances are low, not zero, but still low that I would ever need to draw my gun thus I am more comfortable carrying with a round in the chamber with the safety.

I have hunted for years so taking off a safety to shoot is second nature to me, The Shield has an excellent safety on it - well placed with a positive click.

Safeties are something everyone has a different opinion on. For my home defense guns - absolutely no safety. For my CCW - a safety, as long as it's a good one - I actually like. Again though, everyone's opinion varies based on need and experience.

#8 ·
I own a G26 and a KahrP380...thats the only experience she has ...

My vote is for the G26 but she consider the G too thick and heavy for future EDC....at least she doesnt like the LCP or Taurus ...lol

Glock26-KahrP380-AmericanExpress

#11 ·
In the end it does not matter that she likes the Kahr over the Glock. Triggers are different, less ammo capacity- make sure she is aware of that.

GF, not wife, is also an important consideration. Are you paying for it or is she? Do you want her to have it, or does she want you to get her one? She is unlikely to give it back.

#12 ·
Let her get the one she wants. It is her hand that has to fit well. I have a G26 and a Kahr P9 Covert. I use the Kahr for summer work attire carry. I thought the grip was too thin and added a Hogue Handall to it, and it is now super comfortable. In my opinion, the Kahrs are high quality pistols. But in the end, I like my G26 better.

#14 ·
I am assuming she has shot both? My 9 year old daughter has ran a 26 and rather enjoyed it. 9mm was still a little hot for her, but she had fun. Never shot a Kahr before.

I have heard on the internet, so take it for just that, that the Kahrs are not made to be shot a lot and not built to last. Again I have NO experience with them at ALL. Just something I read on the internet a few months back when I was thinking about getting one.

#15 ·
Has she racked the slide on the Kahr yet?

I was at the range yesterday and the woman in the lane next to my was shooting a few different semi-autos. I didn't think she was going to be able to get that Kahr slide back but she did...eventually. She then shot a sub-compact Glock and a compact Glock with MUCH better results. Looked like a G26 and a G19 but I'm not sure.

The point is... What looks or feels right to her might not be the best option if she can't operate it well.

p.s. Don't forget the small revolver option. Many women shoot and operate them better than a small semi-auto.

#16 ·
I was in a similar situation earlier this year with my wife. We looked at and shot several different makes/models but when she handled the Gen 4 G26 she said “this is it”.

I paid close attention to how she handled her new G26 on our first range outing, seeing she was transitioning from a revolver, she did have some difficulties with racking the slide and using the slide release when reloading a new mag, these issues were overcame with a 14 lbs. RSA and teaching her to “push/pull” the slide at chest high. In addition the RSA I added a 3.5 lbs. connector and a 6 lbs. trigger spring, bringing the trigger pull down to about 4 lbs. which is close to what her revolver is at.

She gets more proficient/accurate at each range outing. With about 1000 rounds of light reloads down range, she handles her G26 quite well, no hesitation with reloading, racking the slide and bringing the weapon onto target, she understands and uses the trigger reset and is able to hold a 6” group at 7 yards.

Next outing we will start using standard velocity ball ammo, a few hundred rounds and we will start using defense loads, I’m sure she will do fine, she has shot handguns from a very young age but this is her first semi-auto bigger than a 22 lr.
The point of this was to show how she picked her weapon, but I was able to make it more “user friendly” for her while she was learning to use it, that is probably the main reason for the G26 or a Glock in general, easily customized to an individual’s needs, and easily returned to stock if needed.

Just my $0.02 worth,

Sig357fan

#17 ·
I am assuming she has shot both? My 9 year old daughter has ran a 26 and rather enjoyed it. 9mm was still a little hot for her, but she had fun. Never shot a Kahr before.

I have heard on the internet, so take it for just that, that the Kahrs are not made to be shot a lot and not built to last. Again I have NO experience with them at ALL. Just something I read on the internet a few months back when I was thinking about getting one.
It's still out there, I joined KahrTalk a couple days ago and found out. I was looking at a secondhand unfired CW9, and from what I read the warranty would come in handy, iff Kahr would only transfer it, and they won't. I do have 60 pages of material printed out on how to make them run though.

#20 ·
kahr P9

PM9 are a little to small to get a good grip. The recoil spring is fairly strong on these too.
G26 have a short grip and it is fat.

As for the take down pin on a Kahr is it takes a little getting used to but the edge of a counter top works really nicely.

In fact I bought my wife has a P9. My brothers wife has a C9, My dad has a C9, I have a kahr too.

I love my Glocks be sure. But for a first pistol for a wife I think a kahr would be hard to beat.

#21 ·
Keep encouraging her to get the G26.
Have her read this thread.
The G26 is far more accurate, durable, dependable, higher capacity, and better quality.
A good holster like a Comp-Tac Minataur will make it easier to carry.

The M&P Shield shoots better than the Kahr's.
Better trigger and quality should be better.

#22 ·
[quote="Cold Dead Hands" !;19375662]Keep encouraging her to get the G26.
Have her read this thread.
The G26 is far more accurate, durable, dependable, higher capacity, and better quality.
A good holster like a Comp-Tac Minataur will make it easier to carry.

The M&P Shield shoots better than the Kahr's.
Better trigger and quality should be better.[/quote]

I shot both the Kahr PM9 (very similar to the CW9) and the S&W Shield and absolutely felt that the Shield was a better gun in all aspects. Because many of the Kahrs have an issue racking and loading the first round, Kahr now recommends to lock the slide back first, put in the magazine and then close the slide with the slide release. Even Hickock45 on Youtube runs into the Kahr PM9 not racking and loading a round properly. Will have to see if the issue is the same with the CW9s as is the PM9s.

Take down on the Shield is easy, only one extra step which is to pull down on the sear deactivation lever - this is just so you don't have to pull trigger to disassemble.

If I had to decide between a Glock and the Kahr, I would go Glock, but again, let her check out the Shield. For me, definitely the Shield over the Kahr (My opinion).

#23 · (Edited)
If you read any of the internet threads on Kahrs, they have been consistent with my experience - inconsistent. Issues with magazines are all over the place. I'd take a pass until Mr. Moon gets that figured out. G26 is versatile, but was too big for my wife who shoots very little. I ponied up $650 clams for a Sig P238 (380 auto) Equinox and she LOVES it. Picked up the 7-rd mag so it's 7+1 with Buffalo Bore Std and +P - both low muzzle flash and hit with energy > = 9mm Std loads.

Gun has 120 flawless female rounds through it with impressive accuracy. Night sights/fiber optic front is nice too ... size was key. Easily fits in pocket or purse. This keeps her away from my G27.

I'd add that one to your look/feel/shoot list if funds are not an issue. Good luck!

#24 ·
My 75 year old mother, who is 5'2" and has small hands just recently got her ccw and I took her to a local store to handle several and range test her preference. We had been thinking of a Ruger LC9 or Kel-tec PF9 because they are small and slender. She didn't like how the slender sub-compacts felt and ended up range testing a G26. She loved it, though found that the Pierce grip extension on the mag was need to comfortably fire the gun (recoil hurt her pinky finger until the store had her try a magazine with the grip extension). Though she had never fired a semiauto before, she had excellent accuracy with it. The fit of the grip, which filled her hand nicely, the comfort during recoil ( with the mag extension), and her ability to easily get solid hits the first time out, combined with Glock's rep for reliability, made this an easy decision. Moral of the story: be sure to range test before you buy.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

#25 ·
I just relooked at your thread and realized I don't see anything about the intended purpose of the gun. Guns are like tools - certain tools are better for different jobs.

To help decide where to start looking, she needs to decide how she will use it, i.e., Home Defense, CCW, both HD and CCW, Target and recreational (just shooting with her new man!). Also, if one gun suits her for multiple uses or if she would be better off with 2 to fit specific needs. Then, she can start deciding what gun, or guns, fill her needs and likes better.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.