Glock Talk banner
1 - 20 of 99 Posts

· Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Morning All!

I have the opportunity to trade my Glock 26 for a Glock 27. same gen, same condition etc.
My question is, is it really worth while to go from 9mm to .40 with current advances in ballistics for 9mm?
Part of me is saying, SURE, the .40 is a larger, more powerful round and its mostly carried by local, state and federal officers..so , if it works for them, it works for me.
The other part is saying, the advances in 9mm ballistics have closed the gaps between 40 and 9mm.

what say you?!

· My word is my bond
603 Posts
That is not a trade I would make.

I owned a G27 and ultimately switched down to a G26. I did that for various reasons, two of which were recoil and price of .40 S&W ammo over 9mm ammo.

FWIW - not sure if you have heard this or not, but the FBI is either seriously considering going back to 9mm over .40S&W chambered guns - or is in the process of doing so. Bullet technology and better hit ratios of 9 vs 40 have been reported as a couple reasons for the change.

We can debate if that is a wise choice on the part of the FBI or not. We can also talk about whether the major reason they decided to make that change was because of a lawsuit by a female trainee agent who could not qualify with the .40 S&W Glocks.

Regards,

Rob

· In the STL
3,766 Posts
Have you shot the 27?
Get whichever you feel most comfortable with.

My father-in-law has a g26 and I have a g27. We have shot both side by side and on factory ammo I found no difference in recoil between the two, but I shot the g27 better. Now when using milder reloads in the g27 we could really tell the difference in recoil between the two. The g26 recoiled more.

· Registered
47,229 Posts
I'd shoot them both at the same session and go with whichever one I was more accurate with. I love my 27 and prefer the .40 over 9mm in that platform but if I was more accurate with the 26, I would go with that.

· Registered
39,730 Posts
How familiar, experienced and skilled are you with shooting a G27, compared to your G26?

I picked the G26 when first considering whether to choose a G26 or G27. I ended up also picking up a LNIB G27 shortly thereafter. That was more than 10 years ago, and more than 15,000 rounds have been fired through each of those little Glocks.

I own a second G26 I picked up about 5 years ago. ;)

I've used a number of issued .40's over the years, and I own 5 of my own, so I've had a fair amount of exposure and experience in shooting .40's. The more I shoot my .40's, the better I shoot my 9's.

Not everyone likes shooting the .40, or finds the G27 as easy to shoot accurately and controllably (or comfortably) as a G26. Up to you.

I've seen a number of our folks decide between the G26 & G27 over the years (and more recently, between the M&P 9/40 and Shield 9/40), and the significant number of them usually go with the lesser recoiling 9mm choices.

If you make the trade, I'd not be at all surprised to eventually learn that you either decided to trade it off on another G26, or you decided to buy another G26 and keep both. ;)

Choose whichever suits your particular needs, desires, abilities and experience.

I don't get too bogged down in caliber selection based upon "performance" anymore. My years as a firearms instructor has made me a bit jaded in that regard. In the last year my issued weapon has gone from a .45, to a 9 and then recently to a .40. (I didn't pick the last caliber, but just took whatever they had the most of available, that was sitting on the top of the stack of new guns.) I still own a number of each of them, too.

Suit yourself. :)

· Registered
2,316 Posts
Good Morning All!

I have the opportunity to trade my Glock 26 for a Glock 27. same gen, same condition etc.
My question is, is it really worth while to go from 9mm to .40 with current advances in ballistics for 9mm?
Part of me is saying, SURE, the .40 is a larger, more powerful round and its mostly carried by local, state and federal officers..so , if it works for them, it works for me.
The other part is saying, the advances in 9mm ballistics have closed the gaps between 40 and 9mm.

what say you?!
I'd stay with the 9mm (G26), i'm just not a 40 cal. person, never did care too much for it myself.

Reactions: Willieboy

· Registered
223 Posts
Good Morning All!

what say you?!
It's pretty simple for me... I like both guns.. BUT I shoot a lot at the range and I'm not willing to pay approx 5 dollars more for a box of fifty 40 cal ammo when the ballistic differences are not that significant.

· Photojournalist
593 Posts
Well, with the g27 you can get a conversion barrel and shoot 9mm, and also get a g33 (.357) barrel and shoot that out of it too if need be.
This! I have both a G26 and the G27. Wife carries the 26 and I carry the 27...I have no problem with .40 but love that all I have to do is drop in a new barrel and shoot 9mm, or drop in a .357 barrel. Change mags and I am done. Never, ever, had an issue shooting with the conversion barrels and trust them with my life.

Best value for the money if you are pinching pennies!

· "Don't Tread On Me!"
6,425 Posts
I've never been a fan of the 40 S&W and I've given it more then a fair shake having owned probably 6 or so handguns in that caliber. I just don't like the feel of the recoil impulse and it's not that I'm a wimp or anything, it just has more "snap" then I like. I love my G26, it shoots very soft IMHO and it's very accurate but if you must have something with a bit more "power" that's still Sub-Compact size then why not just step up to a G39 in 45 GAP? The GAP really doesn't have that much more recoil then the 9x19mm and it has none of the "snap" of the 40cal, pulse you get that bit ol' .451" bullet just like a 45acp but in a 9mm size gun.

· Registered
11,722 Posts
Well, with the g27 you can get a conversion barrel and shoot 9mm, and also get a g33 (.357) barrel and shoot that out of it too if need be.
That's my thought also, and once you experience the awesomeness of .357sig you'll instinctively know this is as good a self-defense caliber there is this moment in time..

· Supreme Member
4,567 Posts
This.

The G27 (or the G33 for that matter) is a very versatile platform. Buy some conversion barrels, and you'll be able to shoot 9mm, 40, and 357 SIG out of it. You get three guns in one.

With the G26, you can shoot 9mm only.

· Registered
1,891 Posts
Advances in ballistics? More modern ammo talk? Good lord people, physics, ballistics have not changed, realistically bullets haven't changed that much either,40 is more powerful, period. Bigger bullets matter, regardless of which magic bullet it is loaded with. Size and weight make a difference. If it were me I'd trade that 26 in a a heart beat, grab a factory 33 barrel and be content.

· Banned
12,667 Posts
Advances in ballistics? More modern ammo talk? Good lord people, physics, ballistics have not changed, realistically bullets haven't changed that much either,40 is more powerful, period. Bigger bullets matter, regardless of which magic bullet it is loaded with. Size and weight make a difference. If it were me I'd trade that 26 in a a heart beat, grab a factory 33 barrel and be content.
Shoot, I'd better trade in my 5.56mm for a .40, then. Even a 9mm has it beat by over three millimeters. I think the G39 has the G27 beat by a mile, in that case.

Reactions: TN.Frank

· Registered
40,440 Posts
Out here in kalifornistan, 10+1, not a fan of the 9mm, but I do really like my g26. Easy to shoot fast & get good hits. A 65-70cal bullet will do fine, doesn't matter what size it starts at.

1 - 20 of 99 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.