Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
"Don't Tread On Me!"
6,425 Posts
I know it's been beat to death but let's hit it a few more times.
I currently have no firearms(long story, don't want to get into it here) and will be looking for a CCW/Home Defense pistol as soon as we get our tax return. I've made my mind up that it's going to be a Glock. I've owned em' in the past and really like em' a lot for many different reasons.
Anyway, I was thinking about a LEO turn in G22 but it seems that they'd be a bit on the large side for CCW in the hot, humid summers we get here in Tennessee so I'm thinking that something more along the lines of a G26/27 or 30 would be more in order. The 19/23 are nice but if I'm going to carry something that size may as well go for the gusto and get the 45acp G30 since for all practical purposes it's the same size.
I see a lot of G27's for sale on my local "guns for sale" forum, not sure why, recoil maybe although everything I've read says that recoil isn't really that bad out of the G27.
My budget is pretty much set at $400, not sure if I could get a G30 for that but you never know, I might luck out and find one but more likely to get a G26/27 in that range then the G30.
I do have 50 rounds of Federal Personal Defense in 9x19mm so that kind of pulls me toward the G26 since that'd be about $50 bucks worth of ammo that I'd NOT have to buy but like I said, there's many more G27's for sale locally then G26's so there's that.

All guns meet my 10 round min. and all have plenty of support for mags and parts from many sources. Just wanted to get some input from ya'll to see what you carry and what you think about it. Anyway, thanks for putting up with me. :cool:

·
Registered
166 Posts
I have a 19 and want a ccw gun and i am too torn between the 27 and 30 like you. If its for self defense i want something a bit more powerful than 19 but cant decide wich i want of the other 2.

·
Registered
624 Posts
The good thing is you've got it down to three good choices, and probably wouldn't regret any of them. I'd lean toward the 26 if it's going to be carried often as you say. My main reasons are the less expensive practice ammo (almost half compared to the G30) and the wide range and availability of high quality defensive ammo. I also like that with the Glock 26, you can carry a 17rd backup magazine.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I have a 19 and want a ccw gun and i am too torn between the 27 and 30 like you. If its for self defense i want something a bit more powerful than 19 but cant decide wich i want of the other 2.
Get the G27. The G30 is a tad bit shorter (muzzle) but a tad bit fatter (slide/frame). Almost the same size as your G19.

·
"Don't Tread On Me!"
6,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My Nephew has a G27 that he carries off duty, he's wanting to get a G23, not sure why. I need to see if we can get together sometime with the G27 so I can put a few rounds down range just to see what kind of recoil we'd be talking about. I'm pretty sure there'd not be much difference between a G27 or a G23 since they're nearly the same size.

·
Registered
418 Posts
My Nephew has a G27 that he carries off duty, he's wanting to get a G23, not sure why. I need to see if we can get together sometime with the G27 so I can put a few rounds down range just to see what kind of recoil we'd be talking about. I'm pretty sure there'd not be much difference between a G27 or a G23 since they're nearly the same size.
The pinky is the biggest difference for me between the G23 and G27.

G23 having a full grip and the G27 having the option of the "pinky pinch extention" or tuck it unders the mag.

·
Ich tu dir Weh.
1,460 Posts
I've owned all three - and when I carry one of these three models, it is the G26.

I can put more rounds on target faster than I can with the G27... which after all, is what it's all about, no?

As to the G30, I favor a G29 (10mm) over the G30, so I alternate between the G26 and the G29 - with the G26 getting the nod most times, simply because of it's small size and ease of control. Modern 9mm rounds are quite effective, so I don't lose any sleep whatsoever about carrying 'just a 9'.

Would I have carried a 9mm 20 years ago? Hell no.

Do I carry one today? Hell yes.

·
"Don't Tread On Me!"
6,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I like the 9x19mm, don't have a problem carrying one at all. I do plan on getting the +2 mag extensions so I'll have a place for my pinky so that won't be a problem.
Also, I do handload so practice ammo won't be a problem, I can load up a box of 45acp for probably round $6-$8 bucks. Still, I think I'm now thinking more about the G26/27 over the G30. Just need to find one in my price range. I could be happy with either.

·
Registered
5,120 Posts
i think most people buy and sell 27s cause they don't put the time in to set it up right or shoot often enough. then there is the ammo selection which will have alot to do with both blast and recoil. if i was to shoot a stock 27 with some high recoiling ammo i probably look for something else also. watching posts on GT about the 27 i knew what i needed and what to do with the pinky finger before i bought mine. after some shooting the 27 became pretty tame to shoot. i have a 23 also but i don't feel now any disatvantage when i carry the 27.
i looked at the 30 also and its just a bit over on size [thickness and bulk] than i want to carry. if i was to carry a .45 it would be a 1911 but i know you won't find one of those for 400.00.
with people trading in 27s you would probably get your best deal on one of them. throw on some talon grips[10.00], a gap mag plate[20.00], and stick with 180grn bullets.
after a few shooting sessions you'll say ''recoil is not so bad'' if you use a proper grip.

·
"Don't Tread On Me!"
6,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
For 40cal I've always liked the 165gr loading. I didn't care for the 180gr. If I were going to go with the heavier weight I'd get a 45acp with 185gr JHP's.
Not sure about the 135gr loads in 40cal and I don't see enough difference between the 155gr and 165gr to go with the lighter 155gr. For 9x19mm the 135gr Personal Defense at 1050fps seems to work well, in 40cal I like the 165gr and in 45acp I actually like the 200gr or 230gr.

·
Registered
6,536 Posts
Shoot the G27 your nephew has and see how you like it. The G26 will be the same size just with less recoil. You can improve the grip on either the 26 or 27 with a set of GAP mag plates that doesn't add any length to the grip, just helps you grip the gun more securely. I think it is going to be tougher finding a G30 for $400 or under than your other two options.

·
Banned
3,353 Posts
Hello,

I have a Glock 30. I like .45 ACP and it is a Glock. It suits me well because I am well built guy (210lb). Glock 30 is kinda of heavy but it doesn't bothers me a lot, only if you have a good holster like a CrossBreed SuperDeluxe and you works out quite often. :)

For your situation, and I would recommend you a Glock 26. It is cheap, and yet dangerous. You can find 9mm in everywhere even during the bad crisis time. I don't really know about .357 or .40 but I bet 9mm and .45 ACP will be more common in many places than .357, .40, or 10mm.

Once you get a Glock, and you will eventually buy more Glocks. So for your situation, buy something small like Glock 26, and then build from at this point to whatever you desire to have. For example, Glock 26 is an all purpose carry weapon in any seasons. You can get Glock 20, Glock 30, or Glock 21 in the future when you have enough money to spend it for it's special purposes.

I hope you have found this to be helpful to make a decision for yourself.

God's grace be with you,

Eric

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
I prefer the G26, but if you manage the .40 very well you can usually find better deals on the used G27s because there are a lot more police trade-ins in 27s and there is a higher civilian demand for the G26.

·
"Don't Tread On Me!"
6,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Weather I go with the 26 or 27 I would like to pick up the Compact and Full Size to go with the Sub Compact once we sell the house and I have the funds. So, I'd end up with either the 26/19/17 or the 27/23/22 as my little "collection" of Glocks. Which I'd never sold the G22 that I had, also wish I'd never sold the G29 that I had but hey, back in the day that's all I did, buy, sell, trade, lose money,LOL. Now that I'm older I'm more of a "get one gun that you like and hang onto it" kind of guy.
Guess I need to give my Nephew a call so I can see when he'll be off work next.

·
"Don't Tread On Me!"
6,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
G26 gets my vote!
That would mean the 17 and 19 at a later date. The 17 for Home Defense, the 19 for my wife's gun(she's more of a revolver person but I can teach her how to use the Glock) and the 26 for my CCW gun.
I have mild OCD so I tend to want sets of things so if I start with Glock I'd have to stay "brand loyal" and get my other pistols as Glocks in the same ctg.

·
TEXAS COWBOY
722 Posts
Hey Pardner,

You left out the G33 (357sig). Come on, don't you want to shoot what the big boys shoot????? The G33 carries as well as the others you have mentioned. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it!!!!!

·
"Don't Tread On Me!"
6,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
LOL, not forgot the 357Sig at all, if I go with a 40cal I do plan on pickin' up a barrel in 357Sig. I really like that ctg. it's just in my neck of the woods ammo is hard to come by and expensive when you do find it.

Also, I talked to my Nephew, he'll be driving in from Nashville to Harriman to see his dad in a couple weeks and I ask him to stop by Crossville so I could look at his G27 and shoot a few rounds thru it so I'll have a better understanding of how the sub-compact 40cal will feel. I know my full size G22 wasn't bad at all but you cut 1" off the barrel and slide and 1" off the grip and you just have such a different gun that I'd like to shoot it to see what it's like.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts