close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glock 26 versus 17 in accuracy

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by ithaca_deerslayer, Jul 22, 2012.

1. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

Backyard shooting today at 80 yards at a 6"x12" steel (kinda shaped like a head and torso, so the head part makes it a little smaller than those overall measurements would imply).

3 out of 5 from the 17 on target. 0 out of 5 for the 26.

Moved it into 50 yards. 5 out of 5 for the 17. 3 out of 5 for the 26.

25 yard groups sizes, centered on paper for both, 2.75" for the 17, 4.5" for the 26.

There you have it, unscientific, I just can't shoot my 26 gen2.5 as well as I can shoot my 17 gen4 :)

Both are stock. The 17 trigger is lighter by a guestimated pound or so. And the sight radius really seems to favor the 17. The shorter grip of the 26 doesn't help it compete with bigger brother either. Also the 26 has more felt recoil. Both shooting American Eagle 124gr.

I still carry the 26, just pointing out the differences between them for me :)

2. porschedog

porschedog

I can shoot my 26 as well as my 17
    The 26 is actually a bit easier to shoot, in my case

3. Bello

Bello America/Italia

I can't shoot my G27 for **** either! But I do good enough for 15 yards works for me that shirt site radius is a killer

4. Walk Soft

Walk Soft

I can definitly shoot my 17 better at 25 yards than my 26.

5. glock2740

glock2740 Gun lover.

I can shoot one shot one hole groups all day long with my both. :tongueout:

:rofl:

6. Pierre!

Pierre! NRA Life Member

Go shoot USPSA Production division for 3 months... then run your testing again.

You will be amazed at how well that little pistol can hit, and at the distances it can hit well!

Did wonders for me...

Hope you spend the time to find out, it's alot of fun too!

Patrick

7. Mattkcc

Mattkcc

I fire short barreled guns just as accurate a longer barreled guns when slow firing. However when shooting rapid fire the extra weight reduces muzzle jump and is more accurate. For me and my eyes it's easier to keep the front sight centered in the rear sight on a short barreled gun.

8. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

My club is doing IDPA. What sort of things does USPSA do to help with accuracy?

9. ADK_40GLKr

ADK_40GLKr Adirondacker with a Glock

Motivation?

10. robhic

robhic WOLVERINE!!!! Platinum Member

I've found, through extensive testing of a scientific manner, that I am able to repeatedly shoot all 3 of my 9mm pistols equally inaccurately!!! :supergrin::supergrin::supergrin: It also depends on how you want to define "accurate", too. At distance I suck.

Closer in, I give myself a big thumbs up as far as I'd be able to get an attacker's attention in very short order using any of the 3 9mm guns. My bullseye accuracy might not be great but my defensive accuracy is a bit comforting.... And that is MY priority..

Last edited: Jul 23, 2012
  11. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

I read that before from someone before in a thread.

I wonder, I guess some eyes are better at focusing on closer objects. I wonder if that is the reason. It is nice to have the front sight in crisp focus, so whatever helps that would be of high importance.

But if someone could focus on an object a little farther away, then it would seem the geometry would always favor the longer sight radius. For the same amount of visual misalignment error in the sight picture, the more distant front sight would reduce the magnitude of that angle being off target.

I could use some help from someone real good at math and words to better explain it :)

Last edited: Jul 23, 2012
  12. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

Absolutely! Close in where the action is more likely to happen is of great importance.

Slow distance shooting is just a fun activity :) Even the 20 yards shots of the IDPA classifier are probably way unrealistic. Given the difference I seen between my 26 and 17, I'm more comfortable making those 20 yard shots with my 17. But I actually carry my 26 :rofl:

13. robhic

robhic WOLVERINE!!!! Platinum Member

Absolutely! Agree 100%. The G26 with the GAP floorplate(s) is my EDC while the 17 is just fun! :supergrin:

14. Pierre!

Pierre! NRA Life Member

Okay! IDPA works very well too!

USPSA typically has a wider selection of target stands - Club Dependant (not every club can afford some of these crazy targets) - so you get a different challenge -

Stuff like Texas Star, swinging targets, falling steel, and some get more exotic than that.

USPSA's classification system is different as well...

They are different games, but both are great for proficiency skill building exercises.

Keep on shooting the G26 in competition and you should see some results pretty quickly.

Enjoy!

Patrick

15. Darkangel1846

Darkangel1846

Shoot at a man sized (COM) target at 80 yards for a G26. A 26 is a close range weapon, but mine can easily hit COM on a man sized target at 80 yards.