Glock 18c Glock 26 still the king

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by AJShooter9, Sep 15, 2019.

1. GunCollector509

GunCollector509

If Glock would come out with a G26 MOS then I'd rock a G26 with an RMR as a hot weather option. Until then, I'll stick to my G43, G19, or G17 carry rotation. The G43 feels different than my G19 and G17. A G26 feels pretty similar to my G19 and G17. That's the attraction that keeps the G26 alive in my mind. I have to practice with the G43 more than a G26 to stay proficient. Nevertheless, I rock a G43 because it's the smallest carry gun that feels like a "fighting gun" that I can conceal in anything I can wear and stay completely hidden. The G43 is a very good "non permissive environment" option. There are considerations to be made in conceal carry that has nothing to do with comfort. Many people have to deal with nosy coworkers that would freak out if they noticed a gun printing.

snowbird.40 likes this.
  2. GlockyQ

GlockyQ

I still like my G26 all right, even though I haven’t carried it for many many years... When I took it out to the range the last time (a few years ago), it still shot very well. It is one of my “will never sell” guns.

That being said, as a ccw the G26 feels just very thick, bulky and heavy compared to newer sub-compacts like the P365 or the G43X. It still works ok as a ccw, but it is definitely a “sub-compact pistol of the past era”...

3. Rocky7

Rocky7 Proud NRA Life Patron Member, Life GSSF member

The 26/27/33 came out as backups to the full-size released weapons by Glock.

The baby glocks surpassed expectations of reliability and accuracy. Many here have gone on and have used this platform as everyday carry substituting its full size counter parts.

The fit to hand though can take its toll especially if using the platform long term and frequent use. (Glock knuckle)

I see today many using even smaller platforms hoping to achieve results similar to the baby glocks.

Myself although I still retain (3) 26’s ......I find myself looking for comfort of fit....I find wearing size 10-1/2 shoes with a size 12 foot too restricting. Caliber wars aside my hands too large for the trend that has taken ahold.

Congrats to winners of choices, reflection to those not satisfied. To those selling your choices, suggest a different sales job, your choice often not in the best interest of others.

To those carrying as a convenient fashion statement, give second thought.

snowbird.40 and GlockXS like this.
  4. powernoodle

powernoodle

1994 chunkiness on the belt.

TacticalDesire likes this.
  5. Rusty Guns

Rusty Guns

I have carried a gen2 G-23 ever since they came out with them.
    I tried the gen3, and we didn't get along.
    I have tried the G-26/27, and we don't get along either.
    I tried the G-26 twice, and carried it every day for over a month, and went back to my gen2 G-23.
    The 26/27 were just Short and Stocky to me.

Snapper2 likes this.
  6. sciolist

sciolist On the Border

True, but chunk on the belt = chunk in the hand.

snowbird.40 and Pepiot like this.
  7. Mike-M

Mike-M

The G26 is a testimonial to acceptance of a mediocre cartridge just because the cartridge is "cheap and popular", over a much more logical high performance round in the same size weapon. A 9+1 G33 is a better weapon because of its 357SIG cartridge, for those to whom THAT characteristic is most important. The 10+1 G26 is a better recreational toy because of its 9x19mm cartridge, for those to whom THAT characteristic is most important.
    In fact, they were motivated principally by the 10-round magazine capacity limits of the US federal assault weapons ban that took effect on 13 September 1994. Until that law expired in 2004, the major selling point of new high-capacity Glock Full-size and Compact-size pistols mostly vanished except for government agencies. For the rest of us, the Subcompacts were perfect as efficiently designed for the magazine limitations. Plus, LE agencies liked them as well.
    Very true words! What surprised me was the continued production of the neither-fish-nor-fowl Compact models, which are only very minimally less in length and height than full-size models, when the Subcompact models are far more appropriate for concealed carry while exceeding high performance expectations.
    1994??? The G26 and G27 were first imported in July 1995. The G33 followed in November 1996. Of course, these were all Gen2.5 versions.

OP: Why did you tag this thread with "G18c"?

Last edited: Sep 16, 2019
  8. jamppp

jamppp

I understand that the .357SIG round is higher velocity, more energy, etc. But do you really believe it's a better choice for a typical novice shooter?
    I think (my opinion) highly skilled and experienced shooters are the exception, and novice is the norm. I'm a novice, and you are clearly an expert.
    I did shoot one once - it was loud (as in hurt even with ear muffs on loud) and snappy. For someone who goes to the range for an hour once a month, I find that round hard to shoot and even harder to shoot well. My confidence in my ability to defend myself would be far lower with that vs. the 9mm variants that I carry.

I get that it's a better round for you. But that doesn't make it a better round for everyone.

hivel9mm likes this.
  9. Pluto57

Pluto57

Meh. I thought I would like it, but I found it no easier to carry than my G19, so I sold it. Eventually sold the G19, too, but I would buy another G19. I wouldn't buy another G26.

10. Rocky7

Rocky7 Proud NRA Life Patron Member, Life GSSF member

Actually at GSSF matches the baby glocks were pushed as backups, the knowledge that lower cap mags would fix issues, as they did for us competing during that time period and is still prevalent today in California.

The 27/33 never took off in GSSF because of cartridge support and feeding issues. Cost also played a part in perception, and no advantage was realized.

I suppose Glock with its Brazilian 22 with heavier slide and barrel may introduce a NEW gen 5 platform that may appeal to more shooters.

11. hivel9mm

hivel9mm

I think that it has been king for quite a good while. Good cartridge, very good capacity, adequate size to handle. However, it now has to contend with smaller packages (Sig P365 for instance) and end users who believe in magic bullets (and somehow equate muzzle energy with terminal performance). It will have to adapt to remain one of the best.

And OP, nice try trying to throw us off with the 18C tag, but like all but one of the previous posters, I was able to continue reading and saw the title of your post.

snowbird.40 and Quigley like this.
  12. tango44

tango44

Not exactly, I love my 26 it was my EDC for 14 years, but a few months ago I bought my Sig P365 and the 26 stays at home with my 19X wich is my nightstand.
    I won't sell the 26 but is not the king anymore...

13. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

G26?

I'm not a fan of the G26.
    Actually I'm not a Glock fan at all, although I have 5 (had 8). Two G42, G26, G33 and G19.
    Also had a G17, G36 and a third G42.

Funny story.

Years ago a friend gave me a G17.
    I shot it for a while (home ranges). Just didn't like it. I gave it back.

Later the same friend gave me a G26. I tried to like it, but couldn't.
    I tried to give it back to my friend, but he wouldn't take it. So when he wasn't looking I left it at his house.

Later a shooter at my range asked about Glocks. I told him, I'll borrow one and you can shoot it and make up your own mind.

So I borrowed the G26 from my friend again.
    The shooter didn't like the gun.

When I tried to give the G26 back to my friend, he said,
    "Don't you dare bring that gun into my house."
    So I still have aG26. :)
    I leave it, loaded, in the rear door panel of my car.

How I ended up with the G19 is interesting.

A local Horse Ranch owner asked me if I would teach her to shoot.
    I did, with my guns, and She got Her Concealed Carry License.

For some reason She decided to get a G19. I think the local store owner talked Her into it.
    She didn't ask my opinion, so I didn't offer it. But I was sure She wouldn't like the gun.

She really tried to like the gun. Would talk it up then She shot it on my place.
    I didn't say anything against the gun but I was still sure She wouldn't like it.

Then one day She called me and said She didn't like the Glock, was going to trade it in and asked if I would go to the Gun Stores with Her.
    I knew She would take a loss trading the Glock in.
    I felt bad that I didn't give Her my opinion before She bought the Glock. So, even though I didn't want the gun, I told Her I would give Her $500 for it, so She wouldn't lose too much on a trade in.

The G19 has a laser and is loaded and in the driver's side door of my car.
    I get it out and shoot it once in a while, but it is more of a chore, than fun.

Chevy Glock 19.jpg

14. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

I bought the G33 because of the Caliber and size.
    It's the closest I come to liking a Glock.

If I ever wanted to carry a Glock, the G33 would be it.
    AFTER I worked on the trigger guard some more.

G33 finger.JPG

G33 trigger guard mod.JPG

15. WayneJessie

WayneJessie

It just wasn’t for my needs. If it fits your needs well by all means stick with it.

16. amd65

amd65

My G26 is a never sell for me.
    I really have no desire to go any smaller in 9mm. I can carry the 26 in a simple kydex clip-on IWB holster, or the Glock “sport combat” slide under a t-shirt easily.

snowbird.40 likes this.
  17. SK2344

SK2344

I agree with you, it was my all time favorite Glock and it was the last one I sold about a month ago. Yes, I sold all my double stack Glocks and I reduced my collection to only the G 43! Only single stack Guns for me now and in the future!

snowbird.40 likes this.
  18. Quigley

Quigley Elite Member

19. poodleplumber

poodleplumber

The G26 hits a sweet spot for me, and one has been in my belt nearly every day for the last ten years. Obviously, other folks have other preferences, and the single stack Glocks have become quite popular. The short grip conceals well for me, and although it is a little bit thicker than the single stacks, I am quite accustomed to it and it doesn't bother me a bit. I'm glad other choices are out there for folks with different tastes, but the G26 has given me no reason to switch.

snowbird.40 and mike from st pe like this.
  20. rds95991

rds95991 NRA Benefactor

Great for you. I must be the 1% that thinks the G26 is the worst pistol in my collection primarily because of the grip. It's too short and with the grip extensions, it pinches. I much prefer the G30 or G36 or the Springfield XD Sub.

At least all the G26 mags I purchased go well as an almost flush fit magazine for my Ruger PC9.