Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my Glock 26 to my LGS to have him take the stock sights off and install the Glock factory night sights. He did it and I picked it up. But now, sitting at home looking at it, it is clearly obvious the rear sight is not aligned with the front. It looks like it's way more to the right than the left. This cannot be the way it's supposed to be, right? Should I take it back to the shop. I feel bad if I'm wrong cause the guy told me the machine automatically sets it to factory alignment. Thanks guys, I look forward to your response!
Snapchat-1299990278.jpg
Snapchat-385809286.jpg

·
Registered
9,571 Posts
Just eyeballing it from the top view, it looks like it's too far to the left, not right. but that is assuming the sight notch is in the center of the sight.

Snapchat-385809286.jpg

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just eyeballing it from the top view, it looks like it's too far to the left, not right. but that is assuming the sight notch is in the center of the sight.

That's what I meant! Idk why I said the opposite side. So I should take it back? I'm assuming I shouldn't let them charge me to fix it.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Shoot it. If you can’t hit anything with it, move it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I'm guessing I should just take it back to the shop and ask them to fix it. It just threw me off because every Glock I've owned, the sights have always been centered. I hate questioning people's work but I paid a good amount of money to have these put on. Hopefully he offers to fix it without charging me.

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
Why didn’t you send your slide to Glock?

·
Registered
5,085 Posts
Take it back tell them the finish the install correctly.

Glock rear needs to be precisely centered. I’ve never known a Glock to need rear wind age adjustment. It needs to be Dead nuts center!

I do this type of thing myself but I’m a geek that way!

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
I would shot it first. If you immediately have gunsmith shift sights what will be his response if after you shoot it, you find initial setting was correct? I doubt if he will move a second time for free.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So took it back to him, he stuck the slide in the machine that he says sets it to factory settings, and handed it back to me, but it made no difference. It's still shifted to the left. I guess I'm gonna need to take it to an actual gunsmithing place. He only charges $25, most places I looked at charge $60-$80 to install sights. Maybe that should have been my first clue.

·
Registered
5,080 Posts
$60 - $80 to install sights on a Glock? :eek:
Reminds of the criminal ("gunsmith") who was going to charge a friend of mine seventy-five dollars to change a 1911 mag catch spring!

Like OttoLoader said, buy a sight pusher and do it yourself. Nothing to it.

BTW, what the heck does this mean: "...he stuck the slide in the machine that he says sets it to factory settings, and handed it back to me..."
Get us a pic of that "machine". :animlol:

·
Registered
22 Posts
$60 - $80 to install sights on a Glock? :eek:
Reminds of the criminal ("gunsmith") who was going to charge a friend of mine seventy-five dollars to change a 1911 mag catch spring!

Like OttoLoader said, buy a sight pusher and do it yourself. Nothing to it.

BTW, what the heck does this mean: "...he stuck the slide in the machine that he says sets it to factory settings, and handed it back to me..."
Get a pick of that "machine". :animlol:
Exactly, machine set it factory spec. . Where are these factory specs published at? Sounds like a line crap.

Yeah, I want to see a pic of this hi-tech sight pusher too.

·
Registered
5,080 Posts
Exactly, machine set it factory spec. . Where are these factory specs published at? Sounds like a line crap.

Yeah, I want to see a pic of this hi-tech sight pusher too.
thumbs up.jpg

·
18,328 Posts

View attachment 805336
Depends on where the gun hit's the target when you shoot it depending on how YOU grip the gun. The rear sight may not me "Centered" but that might be where it needs to be to shoot to point of aim.

·
Resident Misanthrope
463 Posts
LOL, setting sights to factory spec's? That's supposed to be centered. The "gunsmith" is full of it.

Stop paying people to install sights. I bought a universal sight pusher a few years ago for 60 bucks. I install my own and lend it out to others to do the same. It's pretty easy and you can adjust your sights as needed. No charge and no wait. I bought the Glock front sight tool at the same time.

·
MacGyver
7,397 Posts
Where the sights sit on top of the slide is just visual cosmetics. You have to find true point of aim by shooting (calibrating, zeroing). There is a reason they are "drift" adjustable.

To the OP: get a wooden dowel, use it as a pusher and tap it against the side of the sight with light hammer taps until you like it.

·
Registered
873 Posts
I took my Glock 26 to my LGS to have him take the stock sights off and install the Glock factory night sights. He did it and I picked it up. But now, sitting at home looking at it, it is clearly obvious the rear sight is not aligned with the front. It looks like it's way more to the right than the left. This cannot be the way it's supposed to be, right? Should I take it back to the shop. I feel bad if I'm wrong cause the guy told me the machine automatically sets it to factory alignment. Thanks guys, I look forward to your response! View attachment 805332 View attachment 805334
If you was in my area I would take my Wheeler sight tool and move that to center for you, take about two minutes. Never ever visit that gunsmith again he obviously doesn't know jack

It's best to start with the rear sight dead center and shoot 1,000rds and after that if your shooting left or right you need to drift the rear sight left or right. Your rear sight is pretty far off center to the left so you may shoot to the left. If you want to move your groups to the right move the rear sight to the right.

Where your rear sight is right now you might shoot to the left and you will not know if the issue is you or the off center sight, this is why it's best to start with a centered rear sight. If your rear sight is centered and you shoot left or right then you know for sure the issue is the shooter.

·
Registered
29,133 Posts
Was the original rear sight base "centered" in the dovetail?

If so, was the point of impact the same as the point of aim?

Having been an armorer for different makes/models of pistols for some years, and having installed my fair share of rear sights using both drift punches & hammers and sight pushers.

I typically "center" a rear sight base and have the user/owner shoot the gun to confirm POA/POI, and/or shoot it myself (but still have the user/owner confirm the sight setup works for them). Setting the rear sight base "centered" in the dovetail works for most shooters (without shooter issues being involved) on most pistols. If a particular shooter/gun combination requires an adjustment of the rear sight for him/her to achieve consistent accuracy, then so be it.

Luckily (in some respects), Glock doesn't have a dovetailed front sight base, as I've seen those arrive slightly off-center every once in a while, which can complicate things if you don't catch it and end up trying to unknowingly compensate by adjusting the rear sight base.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts