close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glock 26 scratched my Raybans

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by coleslaw, Mar 19, 2012.

1. coleslaw

coleslaw

... at the range. My buddy and I went out to piss lead and he was looking into his first handgun and wanted a G26 but couldn't find one in any LGS so wanted to buy mine but wanted to shoot it first. He got hit in the forehead with the spent shells from Rem 115 grain FMJ's about 6 times. I knew exactly at that point something is wrong so like the dumb caveman I am I followed up after him with 15 rounds of Corbon DPX 115 +p grain (pretty hot stuff) thinking maybe the Rem ball ammo wasn't strong enough to cycle the Glock as needed... No problem, the rounds ejected about 3 feet to my right. But then no matter what we put through it... ball, 124 Speer Gold Dots, Corbon it kept spitting shells back to us and after about the 5th mag (this is when a shell flew back and scratched my Raybans) I gave up and said the extractor must be dirty as hell or broke.

Is this a common Glock problem? I shot more HK's than Glocks so I know more about common problems with HK's than Glocks. Should I take it to a gunsmith?

Edit: The casings from the hotter loads, 124 +p Gold Dots and Corbon DPX's did not come straight back but did not eject with authority neither.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2012
  2. voyager4520

voyager4520

Have you previously shot this G26 and it ejected fine? What's the approximate test-fire date, or the three-letter serial number prefix?

1. The extractor and/or its slot in the slide may be dirty.
    2. If it was made recently, it may have an out-of-spec extractor.
    3. Also if it was made recently, it may have part of the "erratic ejection problem" which cannot be fixed simply by installing a new extractor. My Gen3 G27 with NRR prefix was in this group, I used an older extractor known to function properly and it didn't change the ejection one bit. What fixed the problem was one of the new "Gen4" ejectors, marked 28926 for .40SW. There's a version for 9mm marked 30274.

Currently the "Gen4" ejectors are being sold in the newest Gen4 trigger housings, but only two retailers have been confirmed to have the 9mm version. MidWayUSA's Gen4 9mm trigger housings have the 30274 ejector, as do those sold by glockparts.com. If your gun is a Gen4, all you have to do is swap the trigger housing w/ejector. To put the new ejector in your Gen3, you have to remove the Gen3 trigger housing from your frame, remove the ejectors from both trigger housings, and insert the 30274 ejector into the Gen3 trigger housing to use in your Gen3 frame.

If you continue to experience erratic ejection with the new ejector, it likely means the extractor is out-of-spec. Keep the new ejector in the gun and replace the extractor.

3. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

It is a common problem for some Glock shooters and the proof is evident in your description. If you are going to shoot a Glock, get a lighter recoil spring (not a new extractor). You may want to consider other brands.

4. Rustin

Rustin

Has this "problem" been around since the early Glock days? Does it occur with other pistols or just the Glock?

5. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

It's been around since people from the suburbs decided that being a gun owner and being a shooter is the same thing, so they don't need training. It happens with other guns, but it happens a lot with Glocks.

6. Dalton Wayne

Dalton Wayne Epic mustache Millennium Member

Ray bans can be replaced eyes can't thank your lucky stars

7. MoneyMaker

MoneyMaker

stop shooting with your cool $200 beach shades lol

8. Salmoneye

Salmoneye

Ray Bans are crap since Baush & Lomb sold the name...

BTW...

My bone stock (black internals and all) gen 2 G19 has never had an 'ejection problem' of any type in the 20+ years I have owned it...

9. Lindenwood

Lindenwood

Hehehehehehe.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

10. SC Tiger

SC Tiger Jive Tiger

Not excusing the ejection issue but this is sound advice. Even if the weapon ejects properly, a casing could bounce off of something and hit you. This used to happen to me at an indoor range frequently. Ruined a pair of eyeglasses.

EDIT TO ADD: If you need sunglasses at the range get some dark safety glasses. Better protection and they are pretty cheap (compared to ray-bans especially), plus you can get them with polarized lenses like (I assume) the Ray-bans have.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2012
  11. papajohn

papajohn

wait for it..... wait for it.........................

he limp wristed.

dam dumbest excuse ive ever heard in my life. surprised no one said it yet.

12. coleslaw

coleslaw

PZV prefix. It's a 3rd gen Glock 26 or as some folks might say Gen 2.5

13. coleslaw

coleslaw

But I look sooooo damn good at the range. Lol. I hear ya.

14. coleslaw

coleslaw

Yes Sir. You are right. I am happy I had "some" form of eye protection on. I'll be going back to the MSA plastic ones.

15. coleslaw

coleslaw

No. Even if I was limp wristing it's hard to explain how come it happened to several other shooters that was with us after I gave up on it.

16. TSAX

TSAX USAF Vet

I saw a commercial a while back that helps with scratches on glasses. Try to google it and maybe you can salvage the expensive glasses.

:50cal:

17. voyager4520

voyager4520

That's within the range to possibly have the ejection problem. It could be an out-of-spec extractor or another cause. With my NRR G27 I believe the cut-out in the slide which holds the extractor was positioned incorrectly because an older extractor known to work properly barely made any difference in ejection, only the new ejector fixed the ejection.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2012
  18. vmann

vmann Controller

there is a reason why you wear eye protection, so wear some you dont mind getting dinged up....

19. Dalton Wayne

Dalton Wayne Epic mustache Millennium Member

I have a $140.00 pair of Oakley high impact polarized gas cans, I wouldn't dream of shooting in them, I treat them like they are gold, handle them with kid gloves, I have a quality pair of shooting specs, I feel your pain

Last edited: Mar 20, 2012
  20. TSAX

TSAX USAF Vet

The $10 gas station sun glasses rock :rock:

:50cal: